Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming Chit Chat sallies Fourth

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,854 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Base price wrote: »
    I got an awful fright earlier on and am still not the better from it.
    Lads were spreading slurry from the lagoon with the long pipe thingie and I went up to the yard to tell them that the dinner was ready. When I got back to the house I realised that my 6 month old Rottie pup was missing. I went back up to the yard and found her in the lagoon trying to get out. The dopey fecker on the tractor with the pump did not even see her in it.
    Luckily I had a pfd in the jeep that I use for fishing as I cannot swim. I put it on before I tried rescuing her. After many frustrating attempts I managed to throw a rope around her head and pull her to safety.
    I was amazed that the dopey fecker did not have a pfd in the tractor and I had words with his boss about it afterwards.
    The automatic ones only cost about €120 each.
    A good lesson learned - extendable ladder and 2 pfd's are now beside the lagoon.
    whats a pfd? hows the pup?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

reilig taking his retirement fund

The golden handshake :D

whelan2 wrote: »

A personnel flotation device. Aka life jacket

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Oh sorry - a pfd is a personal flotation device i.e, a life jacket.
    The pup is fine although still smelly even after a warm shampoo wash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

speaking of which, i wonder is he back in the fold

I hope so, but I doubt it.

I got an awful fright earlier on and am still not the better from it.
    Lads were spreading slurry from the lagoon with the long pipe thingie and I went up to the yard to tell them that the dinner was ready. When I got back to the house I realised that my 6 month old Rottie pup was missing. I went back up to the yard and found her in the lagoon trying to get out. The dopey fecker on the tractor with the pump did not even see her in it.
    Luckily I had a pfd in the jeep that I use for fishing as I cannot swim. I put it on before I tried rescuing her. After many frustrating attempts I managed to throw a rope around her head and pull her to safety.
    I was amazed that the dopey fecker did not have a pfd in the tractor and I had words with his boss about it afterwards.
    The automatic ones only cost about €120 each.
    A good lesson learned - extendable ladder and 2 pfd's are now beside the lagoon.
    not being smart here, but last year 3 members of the spence family died going into a tank after a dog. The fact you can not swim it amazes me that you went into a slurry lagoon, fair play and all for saving the dog but:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

not being smart here, but last year 3 members of the spence family died going into a tank after a dog. The fact you can not swim it amazes me that you went into a slurry lagoon, fair play and all for saving the dog but:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Would the fact that it was outside not lesson the danger of gases

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭mf240

Reggie. wrote: »
    Would the fact that it was outside not lesson the danger of gases

Gas is held under the crust and is heavier than air. It was a risky move.

If he was my dog he would be still in it.

I didn't actually enter it - as get into the slurry. I stayed on the edge inside the fenced area and tried to throw the noose over her head.
    I understand the dangers of slurry gases but I would have thought that an open lagoon was slightly safer. However I will stand corrected and acknowledge that what I did was dangerous but I felt I was protecting myself by putting on the life jacket.
    I also shouted at the lad on the pump tractor to stay outside the fence/gate and phone OH.

mf240 wrote: »
    Gas is held under the crust and is heavier than air. It was a risky move.

If he was my dog he would be still in it.
    There was no crust as it has be well agitated over the last 2 days and the dry/caked crust was more or less gone.

• Advertisement

having a pup is probably like having young kids around, i have a near 6 year old -child-who has no fear and back door has to be locked when going out and garden gate has to be locked too everytime we go out to the yard

I didn't actually enter it - as get into the slurry. I stayed on the edge inside the fenced area and tried to throw the noose over her head.
    I understand the dangers of slurry gases but I would have thought that an open lagoon was slightly safer. However I will stand corrected and acknowledge that what I did was dangerous but I felt I was protecting myself by putting on the life jacket.
    I also shouted at the lad on the pump tractor to stay outside the fence/gate and phone OH.

I would have done the same thing base

having a pup is probably like having young kids around, i have a near 6 year old -child-who has no fear and back door has to be locked when going out and garden gate has to be locked too everytime we go out to the yard
    It was all my own fault. When we were agitating the lagoon I had the 4 dogs and cat locked up in the garage at the house in case they decided to have a snoop about due to all the activity. I even locked them up this morning when the lads were here and I had to go to the yard to feed the calves.
    I let them out when I came back to the house to make the dinner and forgot to lock them up when I went back up to the yard.
    Simple mistake but that is how accidents happen :(

It was all my own fault. When we were agitating the lagoon I had the 4 dogs and cat locked up in the garage at the house in case they decided to have a snoop about due to all the activity. I even locked them up this morning when the lads were here and I had to go to the yard to feed the calves.
    I let them out when I came back to the house to make the dinner and forgot to lock them up when I went back up to the yard.
    Simple mistake but that is how accidents happen :(

Base no harm was done so Alls good

Base no harm was done so Alls good
    I know but I am still having "daymares" about it :(

I know but I am still having "daymares" about it :(

That's the worst thing. Just carry on as you were or it will wreck your head for the next while. Sure you could be killed travelling to mass on a sunday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

Sure you could be killed travelling to mass on a sunday

I'm glad I gave it up!

Internet signal is going slow. Check up with ye all soon....

renewal notice for insurance on car came, 325 euro, got them down to 300 and then produced my 75 euro off voucher ;)

• Advertisement

I'm glad I gave it up!

Snap

renewal notice for insurance on car came, 325 euro, got them down to 300 and then produced my 75 euro off voucher ;)

Talk about a neck :D

if ya dont ask ya dont get

if ya dont ask ya dont get

Yeah but that's some flanking manoeuvre

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

Yeah but that's some flanking manoeuvre

No harm at all for them insurance companies :D

moy83 wrote: »
    No harm at all for them insurance companies :D

True enough :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

well played, last time i got a renewal i rang a couple of places and got a quote of 100e less, so went into fbd and chanced telling them that it was 140e less, after a lot of humming and calling back they said they couldnt beat that quote but theyd match it, 140e more for me:D

simx wrote: »
    well played, last time i got a renewal i rang a couple of places and got a quote of 100e less, so went into fbd and chanced telling them that it was 140e less, after a lot of humming and calling back they said they couldnt beat that quote but theyd match it, 140e more for me:D

Its amazing how that works. I don't even bother ringing around. Just ring up the company that offered renewal and tell them I got it a certain amount cheaper elsewhere and ask them to match it. They usually do. Why can't they just give you the best quote at the start and save all the messing around

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Its amazing how that works. I don't even bother riding around. Just ring up the company that offered renewal and tell them I got it a certsin amount cheaper elsewhere and ask them to match it. They usually do. Why can't they just give you the best quote at the start and save all the messing around

Does that usually get you a better quote? :D

.Kovu. wrote: »
    Does that usually get you a better quote? :D

Well spotted and at the same time trust you :D

Well spotted and at the same time trust you :D

Proof-reading in college for narky journalism lecturers trained me well! So I won't get better quotes if I try that? Ah well.:p

• Advertisement

Proof-reading in college for narky journalism lecturers trained me well! So I won't get better quotes if I try that? Ah well.:p

Hey work away and let me know how ya get on :D . I ain't sharing anymore secrets missus

Hey work away and let me know how ya get on :D . I ain't sharing anymore secrets missus

Ah, not even a little one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

Myself and the woman's car insurance was out about a week ago. FBD wanted €475, and RSA wanted €346. Rang Onedirect and got both for €610.
    RSA told me if I got a better quote to get back to them. I told them out straight if I get a better quote I'll take it and if they're interested in my custom give me a bottom line quote now up front. Needless to say she wouldn't.

Ah, not even a little one!

Secrets are like scorpions. The smaller ones are the most deadly

Myself and the woman's car insurance was out about a week ago. FBD wanted €475, and RSA wanted €346. Rang Onedirect and got both for €610.
    RSA told me if I got a better quote to get back to them. I told them out straight if I get a better quote I'll take it and if they're interested in my custom give me a bottom line quote now up front. Needless to say she wouldn't.
    Yeah ridiculous how that carries on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

That narky lecturer, not a Ms C. Fox, by any chance? :D

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    That narky lecturer, not a Ms C. Fox, by any chance? :D

In one of my certs, yes :P Don't tell me you're married to her or something :eek: Otherwise I'll be changing my name again! The real narky one used to be a correspondent with the Times, lecturing in Dublin.

Don't tell me you're married to her or something :eek:.

Nope, I wouldn't like to live that dangerously!:D:D
    She lectured in Communications on a IPAV run course I took. You would get sick of hearing about Terri Prone, after a while.

Mind you, if you got an assignment back, without a comment, that was a good result.

Nope, I wouldn't like to live that dangerously!:D:D
    She lectured in Communications on a IPAV run course I took. You would get sick of hearing about Terry Prone, after a while.

Mind you, if you got an assignment back, without a comment, that was a good result.

7 years since I last seen the woman, I skipped a lot of her classes though so that may explain the narkiness. Had some great lecturers too though, namely one who gave a prize of 2 bottles of wine to the best rests in his tests and another one who took us to a street a few mornings after a fatal shooting there, then on to the pub to discuss the angle of approach to writing about it. :pac::eek:

Have you submitted your 500 word article on Leitrim to the Irish Times GoWild project yet? Two bottles of wine if you can spot mine in the Cavan section.:)

• Advertisement

Have you submitted your 500 word article on Leitrim to the Irish Times GoWild project yet? Two bottles of wine if you can spot mine in the Cavan section.:)

I haven't even heard of it until you mentioned it! Can't see anything about it online. What is it?

you nominate the best place in Ireland to experience the wild beauty of the countryside. most people write a bit about their own county, it seems.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/travel/ireland/go-wild

some people seem to have missed the part about 500 word limit, and just put one sentence.

you nominate the best place in Ireland to experience the wild beauty of the countryside. most people write a bit about their own county, it seems.
    www.irishtimes.com/GoWild

some people seem to have missed the part about 500 word limit, and just put one sentence.

I'd have great fun at that, no one ever wants to come to Leitrim though:p

They should then pick out one nomination from each country, delete all placenames mentioned and run a competition to see who can guess the correct counties for them all.

was changing oh's phone the other day and asked would they give me money on a trade in for it, they laughed at me, they did want to keep it though to show people what can happen if you dont have insurance. I changed my phone too, they gave me 15 euro off a new phone, even though the screen was smashed, again if ya dont ask you dont get

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭jt65

on the family car I need "carrying on business as a farmer" specified on the policy , a lot of companies won't give this

I also need open drive for 25 to 70

also 2 named drivers under 25

have full comp with full NCB protection ,trailer cover

This is on a 2ltr car worth €15k

"cheap" insurance is grand but make sure you have the cover you require especially if you're a farmer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Farrell

was changing oh's phone the other day and asked would they give me money on a trade in for it, they laughed at me, they did want to keep it though to show people what can happen if you dont have insurance. I changed my phone too, they gave me 15 euro off a new phone, even though the screen was smashed, again if ya dont ask you dont get
    Get another HTC 1 or something different?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Farrell

jt65 wrote: »
    on the family car I need "carrying on business as a farmer" specified on the policy , a lot of companies won't give this

I also need open drive for 25 to 70

also 2 named drivers under 25

have full comp with full NCB protection ,trailer cover

This is on a 2ltr car worth €15k

"cheap" insurance is grand but make sure you have the cover you require especially if you're a farmer

Have similar cover myself, except the u25's & wouldn't be as rich as yourself.:P
    Is it due to farming background, or why do we go with open driving? Most can drive 3rd party on their own policy, unless they're Commersial

I'm never buying cattle off you :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

I'm never buying cattle off you :D

I'm never selling to her ffs:D.

• Advertisement

I'm never selling to her ffs:D.

That too :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement