Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming Chit Chat sallies Fourth

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,228 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

.Kovu. wrote: »
    You're on the ball Nek!

Hungry now, after reading that. Going to bed before I'm tempted to take out the pan................

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 823 ✭✭✭ABlur

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Hungry now, after reading that. Going to bed before I'm tempted to take out the pan................

And tights!!!!:D

would have to give them a rinse, first. I never leave them off until May day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 823 ✭✭✭ABlur

would have to give them a rinse, first. I never leave them off until May day.

:eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,498 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Only in the door from an other successful calving. Another monster of a heifer. This bull seems to be producing large calves.

Our ratio at the minute is 5 heifers to 1 bull........If only I was dairying I would be delighted with them ratios :D

Now some sleep before off to work at 5 :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

Reggie. wrote: »
    Only in the door from an other successful calving. Another monster of a heifer. This bull seems to be producing large calves.

Our ratio at the minute is 5 heifers to 1 bull........If only I was dairying I would be delighted with them ratios :D

Any idea what length the cows are carrying to him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 743 ✭✭✭GrandSoftDay

We have almost all bull calves too this year do far. A neighbour has 17 heifers off 20 cows so far, strage the way things go!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 743 ✭✭✭GrandSoftDay

This is my third night having to get up to check a second calver which I suspect is carrying twins. She won't wait in the field for me to leave a hand on her but her bones look to be dropped but hard to know when she won't wait for me. Feeling tierdies now. She's a desperate size and has been very slow to get up and move around the last few days. I hope it's twins because if it's a single calf I'd say it's out the side door it'll be coming, haven't had a section here since I was in nappies and I'd like to keep that record going for another start if at all possible!!

• Advertisement

Any idea what length the cows are carrying to him?

No idea. FIL let the bull loose last year and I can't remember when. This is last night's heifer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭Charliebull

We have almost all bull calves too this year do far. A neighbour has 17 heifers off 20 cows so far, strage the way things go!

Ratio here is 1 bull- 4 heifers, another monster of a heifer last night, happy with his first crop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭visatorro

milk tank tripping out the power. brother reckons its the agitater. waiting on spark to arrive. great start to the day!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭jt65

visatorro wrote: »
    milk tank tripping out the power. brother reckons its the agitater. waiting on spark to arrive. great start to the day!

same happened a couple of weeks ago , it was a sensor , tank man had it with him anyhow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,380 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Electricity is gone here since early morning :mad:
    Have calves to feed and relying on water heater in the yard. Haven't lit the stove in the house all week due to this fine weather so therefore no hot water.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,644 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Base price wrote: »
    Electricity is gone here since early morning :mad:
    Have calves to feed and relying on water heater in the yard. Haven't lit the stove in the house all week due to this fine weather so therefore no hot water.

Harder to mix but it can be fed cold with no problems..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,395 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Girlfriends friend is going to Barcelona in September and wanted us to go.
    Can't go because calving is starting again and my father won't milk heifers.
    :(:(:(:(

Whos making that decision, you or your dad?? Go book the flights now, get a milker in for the few days and tell your dad afterward you have the both of theses done :p. Life is too short to be an utter slave to the farm, me escaping during calving season to go skiing wasn't the best idea at all but I've zero regrets, had the best time ever. Milking twice a day every day for months on end is hassle enough so you should have zero doubts about just booking afew days off then. I'm hoping to hit Italy for afew days around then also, haven't looked up calving dates etc yet but I'll make it happen definitely.

_Brian wrote: »
    Harder to mix but it can be fed cold with no problems..
    Mixing is the main problem. Have 40 on oad and 30 odd on twice a day.
    Took out the petrol generator to start it and the mice have the pull cord chewed off it :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

Took out the petrol generator to start it and the mice have the pull cord chewed off it :mad:

Would it start with a push :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭mf240

Boil two kettle fulls or enough to dissolve the powder then add cold water to it.

Just realised you can't boil Kettle as have no electricity, bit of a brain fart. Don't mind me.

Would it start with a push :-)
    :confused:
    It is one of those small 7 or 8 hp ones. I would be ok to run the milk mixer.
    The calves will just have to wait until the power comes on again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

Open the three 10mm (I think) screws holding on the pull cord assembly. It should just come away from the housing. Fish out the end of the cord, there should be a notch in the rotor to take the pull cord. Wind the rotor in the direction of the pull for 3-4 turns, hold it in place and then put the pull cord out through the hole for it on the assembly. Unless they mangaged to eat through it somewhere near the middle you should have enough to get genny started. Beware of dead petrol if it's been idle a while. Don't undo the stud in the middle of the assembly, they're a complete pain to put back together.

mf240 wrote: »

Boil two kettle fulls or enough to dissolve the powder then add cold water to it.

Just realised you can't boil Kettle as have no electricity, bit of a brain fart. Don't mind me.
    I could boil water on the gas cooker but would need a fair volume plus arms like Arnie Schwartzenegger to mix it :)

mf240 wrote: »

Milking men should have a gas hob for these sort of situations :p

Ah, I see Base has one! Drink tay until the power comes back then!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,981 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

isnt it amazing how reliant we are on electricity, you only realise when you dont have it

Open the three 10mm (I think) screws holding on the pull cord assembly. It should just come away from the housing. Fish out the end of the cord, there should be a notch in the rotor to take the pull cord. Wind the rotor in the direction of the pull for 3-4 turns, hold it in place and then put the pull cord out through the hole for it on the assembly. Unless they mangaged to eat through it somewhere near the middle you should have enough to get genny started. Beware of dead petrol if it's been idle a while. Don't undo the stud in the middle of the assembly, they're a complete pain to put back together.
    I took the housing off and the rope is in ribbons. We had it working about sometime in Jan so the mice only did the damage since then.
    I will take Kovu's advice and drink tae until either the power comes back on or OH arrives home.

I took the housing off and the rope is in ribbons. We had it working about sometime in Jan so the mice only did the damage since then.
    I will take Kovu's advice and drink tae until either the power comes back on or OH arrives home.

Tell him to call into a hire shop/lawnmower repair place and get a couple of metres of pull cord it's only pence and a very easy fix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,359 ✭✭✭naughto

Timmaay wrote: »
    Whos making that decision, you or your dad?? Go book the flights now, get a milker in for the few days and tell your dad afterward you have the both of theses done :p. Life is too short to be an utter slave to the farm, me escaping during calving season to go skiing wasn't the best idea at all but I've zero regrets, had the best time ever. Milking twice a day every day for months on end is hassle enough so you should have zero doubts about just booking afew days off then. I'm hoping to hit Italy for afew days around then also, haven't looked up calving dates etc yet but I'll make it happen definitely.

Would def agree with this same thing used to happen at home for yrs no holidays no nothing just working.that untill we started booking holidays for them then they had no choice but to go.surly you can get some 1to do it for you isn't that what neighbour's are for.is there any reason your oulfella will not do it for you
    Ment to quote greengrass not timmaay

Girlfriends friend is going to Barcelona in September and wanted us to go.
    Can't go because calving is starting again and my father won't milk heifers.
    :(:(:(:(

I'll tell ya something GG fcuk Barcelona for a few days in Sept. Get a crew together or just yourself and herself and head off to somewhere that you'll knock a bit of craic out of for 10 days or a forthnight in June/July. You're working as hard as anyone posting here and that young wan ain't gonna put up with too many "we can't go because the calving is starting" and she'd be right. If she's worth anything she'll accept a certain amount of it but there has to be payback also. If you can't get away for a few days then WTF were you doing 16-20 hour days in Feb and March for. I wouldn't be asking the oul boy either just give him a bit of notice of when you're going.

I'll tell ya something GG fcuk Barcelona for a few days in Sept. Get a crew together or just yourself and herself and head off to somewhere that you'll knock a bit of craic out of for 10 days or a forthnight in June/July. You're working as hard as anyone posting here and that young wan ain't gonna put up with too many "we can't go because the calving is starting" and she'd be right. If she's worth anything she'll accept a certain amount of it but there has to be payback also. If you can't get away for a few days then WTF were you doing 16-20 hour days in Feb and March for. I wouldn't be asking the oul boy either just give him a bit of notice of when you're going.

This is true you have to make your own downtime. I always try to make a sunday family time within reason

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭visatorro

herself is a teacher. she got fed up waiting on me to go anywhere with her. she's just back from ten days in the states and she's goin to austria in the summer .... without me. she's very independent and her idea of a holiday would be different to mine. at least she's not sitting round waiting for me. we try to spend one evening/day a week together. usually works out. she's happy thou which is the main thing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭UncleChael

Anyone know where I'd get a few Cow Mats in Dublin? Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

Ah were going to Killarney now next weekend for the rally with a few friends so that should be good. Might try do something else during the summer too

oh has lost his phone he got on monday:mad:

whelan2 wrote: »

Ah here :D

Ah here :D
    the mood is fantastic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

Awh god that's priceless haha

Awh god that's priceless haha
    even better he thinks it was ploughed into the ground, he was up giving ploughing man his dinner the last time he had it

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Parishlad

even better he thinks it was ploughed into the ground, he was up giving ploughing man his dinner the last time he had it

Did he try going up with another phone and giving his a ring....cud still be lying around somewhere??!

Probably mentioned here before but its funny how we all have different ways of describing the direction of a piece of land, field, shed, yard etc....e.g. I'm doing down to the yard.....up to the shed.....over to such a field.....etc. In reality, it might make no sense at all...

• Advertisement

Never leave him alone with the kids

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Mad4simmental

Parishlad wrote: »
    Probably mentioned here before but its funny how we all have different ways of describing the direction of a piece of land, field, shed, yard etc....e.g. I'm doing down to the yard.....up to the shed.....over to such a field.....etc. In reality, it might make no sense at all...

Ha true, or across the haggert,

Ha true, or across the haggert,

First time I think I have ever seen 'haggert' written down....:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Mad4simmental

First time I think I have ever seen 'haggert' written down....:)

It dosnt happen to often!!

Did he try going up with another phone and giving his a ring....cud still be lying around somewhere??!
    going straight to voicemail

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭dharn

Feck that ! Metal detector ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭I said

Well ploughed and driven over by now time for a new phone

I said wrote: »
    Well ploughed and driven over by now time for a new phone
    ye went in and got one, car phone warehouse couldnt give me one had to go to meteor store

ye went in and got one, car phone warehouse couldnt give me one had to go to meteor store

Something like this for his phone?:D

Something like this for his phone?:D

He should get a phone holster whelan, they're quite handy if you get into the habit of using htem.
    Oh and guess what I had a hankering to cook today Nekarsulm? :D

http://imgur.com/vmkLLzQ

Aaaaaaaaah, Boxty!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement