Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming Chit Chat sallies Fourth

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

whelan2 wrote: »
    oh has lost his phone he got on monday:mad:

Starting to think the problem doesn't lie with the phones :p

Great parents around this area. (Unfinished luxury) Houses broken into and trashed inside, all windows broken. One local man seen who done it, all the kids done was give him the finger. Seen 9 year olds outside the door of a local pub at 10.30pm a couple of nights ago. Lads younger than that called our young one a lesbian when she hugged her friend in the playground, how do kids that young even know what that is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Great parents around this area. (Unfinished luxury) Houses broken into and trashed inside, all windows broken. One local man seen who done it, all the kids done was give him the finger. Seen 9 year olds outside the door of a local pub at 10.30pm a couple of nights ago. Lads younger than that called our young one a lesbian when she hugged her friend in the playground, how do kids that young even know what that is?

Internet, TV and bad parenting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭I said

The meme generation raring kids

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭Charliebull

The Sally rod, yer only man

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,854 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Reggie. wrote: »
    Internet, TV and bad parenting
    kids are being brought up in a totally different world to what we where. Feck all punishment for bad behaviour

The Sally rod, yer only man
    maybe but you would do jail

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭on the river

maybe but you would do jail

just like bbam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

It's a strange world out there for kids growing up and that's for those with parents doing their best.
    But there is definitely a cohort of bad parents, their kids are being thought no discipline, morals or self worth.

It's sad but I've had reason to ask my daughter not to play with specific children because they are "unsuitable".

_Brian wrote: »
    It's a strange world out there for kids growing up and that's for those with parents doing their best.
    But there is definitely a cohort of bad parents, their kids are being thought no discipline, morals or self worth.

It's sad but I've had reason to ask my daughter not to play with specific children because they are "unsuitable".
    i think most kids realise the "unsuitable" kids quite quick. As i always say you reap what you sow, you can only do your best

• Advertisement

Wife and kids been away all week, this cleaning up lark is thirsty work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭td5man

Wife and kids been away all week, this cleaning up lark is thirsty work

Its amazing the mess one man can make, where did all those dirty dishes come from?

td5man wrote: »
    Its amazing the mess one man can make, where did all those dirty dishes come from?

Fcuking Hoover is a fair complicated yoke

td5man wrote: »
    went to get phone for oh today, was exactly 1 hour away he was minding kids, came back dinner plates still on table etc, i have no idea what he was doing for the hour, hate seeing stuff left out like that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 743 ✭✭✭GrandSoftDay

Just after meeting a neighbour on the road with the cow box upside down behind his van! Sickner, cow box is belong to another neighbour.

Fcuking Hoover is a fair complicated yoke
    did you see the bit on fb where the dad uses the hoover to put his daughters hair into a ponytail

Base price wrote: »
    Electricity is gone here since early morning :mad:
    Have calves to feed and relying on water heater in the yard. Haven't lit the stove in the house all week due to this fine weather so therefore no hot water.
    where you waiting long for electricity to come back?

Just after meeting a neighbour on the road with the cow box upside down behind his van! Sickner, cow box is belong to another neighbour.

How ??

How ??

Turning out a cross and up a hill onto the main road, cow fell and trailer just went over in him. Cow was grand but the trailers a bit worse for wear, fixable though. Lucky there was a swivel hitch on it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Speed

Muckit wrote: »
    Speed

I'd doubt it Muckit, it's not the kind of cross you'd come out fast out of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

That's a bummer. At least no one was hurt but hate to be going up to neighbour to tell him that.

sea12 wrote: »
    That's a bummer. At least no one was hurt but hate to be going up to neighbour to tell him that.

That's the killer about borrowing stuff.
    I had a bale lifter borrowed once and of course the damn thing broke.
    Got a real good professional repair done and made my apologies when returning only to be told he already knew it was cracked and forgot to mention it.

Really hate borrowing stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

I'd doubt it Muckit, it's not the kind of cross you'd come out fast out of.

Must have mounted curb then? Definitely didn't flip over of it's own accord! :)

Just back from another c section. Bloody massive bull calf. Gonna have a few sections this year I reckon

• Advertisement

Just back from another c section. Bloody massive bull calf. Gonna have a few sections this year I reckon
    is that a new bull ye are using?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

That's annoying, are they much up there with ye?
    €217 for ours, €240 with injects and all after it.
    Cousin of mine had one there recently- €300 and the cow died.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

Are the cows out on grass, that can fairly pump up the size of the calves, especially this year with the exceptional early growth

Really hate borrowing stuff.

Same as, borrowed a petrol mixer from the brother in law. The PLASTIC cog that drives the drum to the belt MELTED, so have to get new parts (must do that :o ).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭munkus

.Kovu. wrote: »

Happened me too a few years ago, some dose. Heard that 1 in ten die anyway.

• Advertisement

is that a new bull ye are using?

New bull. He produces great calves but they are large

No idea to be honest

rangler1 wrote: »
    Are the cows out on grass, that can fairly pump up the size of the calves, especially this year with the exceptional early growth

No still housed. Gonna go on a straw diet now even tho the damage will be done

munkus wrote: »
    Happened me too a few years ago, some dose. Heard that 1 in ten die anyway.

Not surprising as they really get in there and leaves them wide open to infection. Have to say though the vet today did a cracking job and no messing with him. I think he was mad for the supper or something

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

think the section we had cost 250 not sure tho.better to have the calf alive even if it is expensive.
    wedding tomorrow and then the after party sunday it ill be wednesday b 4 iam right

Muckit wrote: »
    Must have mounted curb then? Definitely didn't flip over of it's own accord! :)

No kirb but a nice incline on the road when your driving across it and turning up the hill, big cow inside in it and she fell over.

Yes but I lost a calf last week that should have been sectioned, I would rather the bill and have the monster alive now

Yes but I lost a calf last week that should have been sectioned, I would rather the bill and have the monster alive now

Oh I know, I'm not disputing the fact that they are a necessary cost at times. There are 2 problems though- 1 = Getting a good vet. Our vet is a little more expensive (or so I though) than most but his service is unbeatable.
    2= Knowing when you need that vet!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭trixi2011

had 2 c sections this year which would be pretty unusual for easy calving dairy breeds. Had a dutch vet doing the operation and the cows were given no antibiotics at all. any time I've seen them before the vet would pour white penicillin on the inside layer of tissue and they would get injected for 3-5 days. took nearly 2 hours for each operation as the vet only does 1 or 2 a year.

trixi2011 wrote: »
    had 2 c sections this year which would be pretty unusual for easy calving dairy breeds. Had a dutch vet doing the operation and the cows were given :eek:. any time I've seen them before the vet would pour white penicillin on the inside layer of tissue and they would get injected for 3-5 days. took nearly 2 hours for each operation as the vet only does 1 or 2 a year.

How did he manage to keep everything sterile?! I'd be worried if our vet was only doing 1/2 per year. I'd almost imagine his brain working out what to cut and how to do it aka Dr Nick in the Simpsons.

Fastest I seen was just over 40 mins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭C0N0R

trixi2011 wrote: »
    had 2 c sections this year which would be pretty unusual for easy calving dairy breeds. Had a dutch vet doing the operation and the cows were given no antibiotics at all. any time I've seen them before the vet would pour white penicillin on the inside layer of tissue and they would get injected for 3-5 days. took nearly 2 hours for each operation as the vet only does 1 or 2 a year.

Everything survive? Why did you go for a section or was it vets call?

How did he manage to keep everything sterile?! I'd be worried if our vet was only doing 1/2 per year. I'd almost imagine his brain working out what to cut and how to do it aka Dr Nick in the Simpsons.

Fastest I seen was just over 40 mins.

I think about 45 mins was our section last night

how many sections is that? have ye lost any calves? How are the cows after calving? It will be hard on them to get them going again for next year

how many sections is that? have ye lost any calves? How are the cows after calving? It will be hard on them to get them going again for next year

2 sections after 7 calvings. No calves lost and the cows are fine afterwards so far. The lighter heifers needed a pull but none calving by themselves.
    The two sections were the better sized heifers but the rest of the 30 heifers are the same size as them so that's why I'm thinking there might be more sections to come.
    They are Romanian cattle and the vet reckons that they ain't used to the good feed here which is bringing on the big calves plus he says they are very tight in the back end aswell.

They are Romanian cattle

Why do I feel this is a stupid question, but.................. from Romania?

Why do I feel this is a stupid question, but.................. from Romania?

That's the one

That's the one

Ok, uhm, next question, why get cattle from Romania? Curious. Have heard of farmers getting cattle from The Netherlands and Germany but not Romania.

Ok, uhm, next question, why get cattle from Romania? Curious. Have heard of farmers getting cattle from The Netherlands and Germany but not Romania.

Now I have no idea. Was called one night 2 years ago to the yard at 11pm. Artic sitting there and it was full of that lot. No idea why he bought them from there. Would prefer native cattle myself but it was his decision. There are a few herds of them around the country alright tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

Now I have no idea. Was called one night 2 years ago to the yard at 11pm. Artic sitting there and it was full of that lot. No idea why he bought them from there. Would prefer native cattle myself but it was his decision. There are a few herds of them around the country alright tho.

Was it suck calves he bought ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭dzer2

moy83 wrote: »
    Was it suck calves he bought ?

Yeah they were 150 yoyos cheaper than Irish ones at the time. I know quite a few lads that bought them and they are all having the same problems calving now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement