Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming Chit Chat sallies Fourth

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭Deepsouthwest

Reggie. wrote: »
    Now I have no idea. Was called one night 2 years ago to the yard at 11pm. Artic sitting there and it was full of that lot. No idea why he bought them from there. Would prefer native cattle myself but it was his decision. There are a few herds of them around the country alright tho.

Can't believe people importing cattle from places like Romania, we work so hard and spend so much on herd health, trying to control/eradicate tb, brucellosis, bvd and now johnes etc, which is all part of our sales pitch on the world market. Then some assholes decide to import cattle from other countries who couldn't give a crap about bio security and puts all our livelihoods at risk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

dzer2 wrote: »
    Yeah they were 150 yoyos cheaper than Irish ones at the time. I know quite a few lads that bought them and they are all having the same problems calving now.

Interesting . Were they bvd or johnes tested I wonder ? It will be a sickener if any of the calves turn out to test positive for bvd now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭dzer2

moy83 wrote: »
    Interesting . Were they bvd or johnes tested I wonder ? It will be a sickener if any of the calves turn out to test positive for bvd now

They went through a dept of ag inspection when imported it seems vigorous enough I would say they were tested for both. They turned out nice cattle but not as tall or as stocky as Irish ones. They also have plenty of milk.

dzer2 wrote: »
    They went through a dept of ag inspection when imported it seems vigorous enough I would say they were tested for both. They turned out nice cattle but not as tall or as stocky as Irish ones. They also have plenty of milk.

Thats good anyhow . Sure if they are easier fed than our own and throw good calves they will work out well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Was it suck calves he bought ?

Yes but they were weaned when they came. Think they were about 4 months old when they arrived

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

Yes but they were weaned when they came. Think they were about 4 months old when they arrived

Were they those red and white ones, they really looked the part

Thats good anyhow . Sure if they are easier fed than our own and throw good calves they will work out well

Well if ya have to section them every time the fun will run out them pretty quick

rangler1 wrote: »
    Were they those red and white ones, they really looked the part

Yeah some of them are that colour alright

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭thetiredfarmer

Did my first bit of silage Baling for 2014. Lovely dry crop of Grass. 80 Bales wilted ,tedded and rowed up yesterday.

Well if ya have to section them every time the fun will run out them pretty quick

True dat . But maybe less feed next time around will sort that

• Advertisement

True dat . But maybe less feed next time around will sort that

Yeah that at least

Did my first bit of silage Baling for 2014. Lovely dry crop of Grass. 80 Bales wilted ,tedded and rowed up yesterday.

Nice

Yeah that at least

I think alot of people are having big calves this year . We lost 3 monsters and one heifer after a section , I got a few tons of nuts for bullocks and weanlins but the father couldn't the cows without throwing them a couple of buckets aswell . He wont do that next year !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭Base price

whelan2 wrote: »
    where you waiting long for electricity to come back?
    Came back on just after 3. I fed them at 5.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭sheebadog

Can't believe people importing cattle from places like Romania, we work so hard and spend so much on herd health, trying to control/eradicate tb, brucellosis, bvd and now johnes etc, which is all part of our sales pitch on the world market. Then some assholes decide to import cattle from other countries who couldn't give a crap about bio security and puts all our livelihoods at risk

Bit arrogant. Ireland exporting live all over!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 743 ✭✭✭GrandSoftDay

I think alot of people are having big calves this year . We lost 3 monsters and one heifer after a section , I got a few tons of nuts for bullocks and weanlins but the father couldn't the cows without throwing them a couple of buckets aswell . He wont do that next year !

Better quality silage having a say in it aswell I'd say Moy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Zr105

Was just thinking that alright! Wonder if lads get the same good quality silage this year will it spike demand for straw a bit more with lads looking to lessen the feed for cows?

Definitely better than the previous year but I wouldnt say we have anything spectacular . Im all winter meaning to test the silage but never did of course !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,854 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

they wouldnt test positive for johnes as calves

sheebadog wrote: »
    Bit arrogant. Ireland exporting live all over!!

Certainly didn't mean to come across as arrogant, more like pissed off! Yes, Ireland exporting live all over, but not many countries going to the lengths we are with bvd, johnes etc. Hollands response to having animals with johnes in ur herd was to restrict movement between to other herds, but u could still export them, and that's fact.

• Advertisement

Reggie what age are they calving down at?

Certainly didn't mean to come across as arrogant, more like pissed off! Yes, Ireland exporting live all over, but not many countries going to the lengths we are with bvd, johnes etc. Hollands response to having animals with johnes in ur herd was to restrict movement between to other herds, but u could still export them, and that's fact.

What's sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander!

whelan2 wrote: »
    they wouldnt test positive for johnes as calves

Does it only show up after a certain age ? Its a pity they cant test for it as calves . We lost a lovely blue heifer that was only calved a few months a few weeks ago . Funny enough she never looked aswell as she did when she was incalf and after she calved it was all down hill for her

I have no idea what that means!

I have no what that means!

If its good enough for us to export our stuff then its good enough for them to export to us .
    I get what you're saying about buying in from somewhere with less disease control than us though

Does it only show up after a certain age ? Its a pity they cant test for it as calves . We lost a lovely blue heifer that was only calved a few months a few weeks ago . Funny enough she never looked aswell as she did when she was incalf and after she calved it was all down hill for her
    normally only show signs over 2 years, doesnt mean a dam if people say their animals are tested johnes clear as they can develop it ... i have bought in animals that developed it

around 26 months

I used to think like you, now I say what's the point...as long as there's importing going on, everyone might as well be at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

Ordered an Earthway 3100 shoulder mounted fert spinner just now. Most sites didn't want to ship outside of US & Canada. Found one that would, courier company on it wanted $448 to ship it to Ireland, snail mail was $69!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭dharn

The postman will love you,.. trying to get that yoke through the letterbox :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Ordered an Earthway 3100 shoulder mounted fert spinner just now. Most sites didn't want to ship outside of US & Canada. Found one that would, courier company on it wanted $448 to ship it to Ireland, snail mail was $69!

There is a special "mail bag" rate, if it fitted in one of those 40kg rolled barley bags. US Mail have a much lower rate for a full bag, that requires no further sorting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

dharn wrote: »
    The postman will love you,.. trying to get that yoke through the letterbox :P

He has bigger problems than that. There is no letterbox. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭dharn

I can imagine the scene.. whats in the box con ?... its a manure shaker from america..... what ? Well feck you and your american manure shaker, it has me heart broke getting it here,... whats wrong with a bucket, you and your new fangled ways, I suppose you found it on the internet,...... fekin internet .. has me heart broke:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

I'd say Reggie is your man for advice on operating shoulder mounted gear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

I agree totally with that sheba. As long as the exporters elsewhere are operating to the same regs ss here then there can be no complaints. I'd be dubious that this is the case in many jurisdictions though.

• Advertisement

I'd say Reggie is your man for advice on operating shoulder mounted gear.

:D

I agree totally with that sheba. As long as the exporters elsewhere are operating to the same regs ss here then there can be no complaints. I'd be dubious that this is the case in many jurisdictions though.

I've imported stock from Holland and Germany and would have no qualms in doing so again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭mf240

dharn wrote: »
    I can imagine the scene.. whats in the box con ?... its a manure shaker from america..... what ? Well feck you and your american manure shaker, it has me heart broke getting it here,... whats wrong with a bucket, you and your new fangled ways, I suppose you found it on the internet,...... fekin internet .. has me heart broke:P

Wait till con tells him about the pallet of 18-6-12 that's,coming next week.!!

mf240 wrote: »
    Wait till con tells him about the pallet of 18-6-12 that's,coming next week.!!

He'll want a bigger van

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,736 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

What is the advantage of one of those over the oul fashioned bucket and hand shaker;)...presume you would get more even spread but apart from that,what's into them?....we have some hilly ground unsuitable to spread fert on with quad or tractor.

• Advertisement

What is the advantage of one of those over the oul fashioned bucket and hand shaker;)...presume you would get more even spread but apart from that,what's into them?....we have some hilly ground unsuitable to spread fert on with quad or tractor.

Con just wants to be different

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

exceptional early growth

Where was all this going on?!? :)

Muckit wrote: »
    Where was all this going on?!? :)

Am I the only one having good grass growth this year,
    Haven't had to feed meal to any ewe after lambing. and could do with someone to graze a few paddocks for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

Growth is good but grass utilisation is poor in the last few days. .... and going by the forecast, animals will be walking grass into the ground for the next week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

Haven't had to feed meal to any ewe after lambing. and could do with someone to graze a few paddocks for me

that last bit is a dangerous quote :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

'Exceptional growth' was only in the last week. Grass, cereals whatever.

Perhaps you just have an exceptional farm! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

I'm the very same. Ewes out the shed after lambing and no meal being fed. A couple of paddocks have gone way too strong for sheep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

simx wrote: »

Obviously understocked..............:D

simx wrote: »

It would be easier on me and the land than trying to sell silage off it....hate making silage

sea12 wrote: »
    I'm the very same. Ewes out the shed after lambing and no meal being fed. A couple of paddocks have gone way too strong for sheep.

Hard to figure out ...was way overstocked all last year with the same amount of sheep,
    lambs are doing a huge thrive as well

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement