Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming Chit Chat sallies Fourth

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Pure bread charolais for sale on Donedeal.

Made me laugh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

Muckit wrote: »
    Pure bread charolais for sale on Donedeal.

Made me laugh

Brown or white ? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭Deepsouthwest

I agree totally with that sheba. As long as the exporters elsewhere are operating to the same regs ss here then there can be no complaints. I'd be dubious that this is the case in many jurisdictions though.

This started about someone importing calves from Romania, i wonder what their official line on bvd is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

This started about someone importing calves from Romania, i wonder what their official line on bvd is?

Most of them Romanian cattle were imported before the bvd tags were compulsory

sheebadog wrote: »
    I've imported stock from Holland and Germany and would have no qualms in doing so again.

I'm sorry, but that's a totally different scenario, ur living and farming in mainland europe. But one of Ireland's strongest sales pitches is our 'green island' and the security it gives to our national herd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭mf240

I'm sorry, but that's a totally different scenario, ur living and farming in mainland europe. But one of Ireland's strongest sales pitches is our 'green island' and the security it gives to our national herd

After the horse meat scandal I think it's time we stopped beating that tired old drum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

i remember about 16 years ago the local co-op imported a few hundred in calf heifer from Germany and Holland. They were totally unable to adapt to this country's climate, and had no defence against the background level of disease. Strange ailments occurred with lots of them. Don't think any lasted into their third location.

mf240 wrote: »
    After the horse meat scandal I think it's time we stopped beating that tired old drum.

Surprised that I'm the only one on this forum who has an issue with importing cattle, I guess I'll have to rest my case!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

moy83 wrote: »
    Brown or white ? :D

It's obviously brown. Pure bread must mean wholegrain and isn't that brown bread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

Surprised that I'm the only one on this forum who has an issue with importing cattle, I guess I'll have to rest my case!
    DSW, I'm with you on this one. The majority of animals we export are for slaughter and never leave the lots. If countries want to import our cattle is not a unique selling point for us in being an island. I can understand bringing in top genetics which may improve our own breeding stock but bringing in run of the mill stock here is nuts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Mac Taylor wrote: »
    DSW, I'm with you on this one. The majority of animals we export are for slaughter and never leave the lots. If countries want to import our cattle is not a unique selling point for us in being an island. I can understand bringing in top genetics which may improve our own breeding stock but bringing in run of the mill stock here is nuts

I'm as yet undecided on this. Weren't most of the imported cattle females that were for breeding purposes? The calves they bear will be registered as Irish with blue cards, compared to the reds of the mothers. So the calves will technically be Irish bred and reared.
    Only certain factories will slaughter the red carded cattle, now I am unsure of how they are processed hereafter and this is what I'd like to know! Are they classified as Irish beef if they weren't bred in Ireland?

(Disease is another touchy topic but I wll post that in another post as I'm off to bed. Mass in the morning... ;))

.Kovu. wrote: »
    I'm as yet undecided on this. Weren't most of the imported cattle females that were for breeding purposes? The calves they bear will be registered as Irish with blue cards, compared to the reds of the mothers. So the calves will technically be Irish bred and reared.
    Only certain factories will slaughter the red carded cattle, now I am unsure of how they are processed hereafter and this is what I'd like to know! Are they classified as Irish beef if they weren't bred in Ireland?

(Disease is another touchy topic but I wll post that in another post as I'm off to bed. Mass in the morning... ;))

Mass..... yeah

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,854 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

can a cow get tetany indoors?

Reggie. wrote: »
    Mass..... yeah

Yes! I am going to mass. Probably spontaneously combust once walk n the doors but have to give it a shot.

whelan2 wrote: »

I'd say t's entirely possible whelan f they're not gettng any concentrates and milking strong.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

Yes! I am going to mass. Probably spontaneously combust once walk n the doors but have to give it a shot.

I forsee a lot of melted metal, careful they don't weigh you in after combustion :pac:

I'd say t's entirely possible whelan f they're not gettng any concentrates and milking strong.
    waiting on vet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭jt65

yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭sheebadog

Yes.

i hope it is tetany and not meningitis, shes a cull and has 3 calves on her, she gets meal am and pm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

made ****e of my blackberry q10 screen dosing cattle in a crush yesterday.

Me , angus heifer and mobile, between a crush and a old stone wall. Suffice to say someone.thing had to give way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

Anybody recommend a good app for measuring acerage?. Sure it's been covered here before but can't find it.
    Recommendations advice welcome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭I said

TITANIUM. wrote: »
    Anybody recommend a good app for measuring acerage?. Sure it's been covered here before but can't find it.
    Recommendations advice welcome.

My measure for I phone

Me , angus heifer and mobile, between a crush and a old stone wall. Suffice to say someone.thing had to give way

There's a crowd in the bridge centre in tullamore that fixes smartphones afaik

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

I said wrote: »
    My measure for I phone

No I Phone im afraid. .....

Ouch

see kovu is our new moderator;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭on the river

ya best of luck of Kovu

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

So is the going to mass part of the Mod deal ??

_Brian wrote: »
    So is the going to mass part of the Mod deal ??

Yes. Hope to see you all there next week.:)

There was a dog n the church too, followed the priest up the aisle and lay down near the alter. Nearly in tears holding my laughter in.

• Advertisement

We are screwed now

Reggie. wrote: »
    We are screwed now

Banned

:D:pac:

I've to go start a calf sucking now in my good mass clothes. Jaysus:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭Charliebull

Yes I just noticed that, fair play kovu, now don't start handing out black cards and remember where you came from

Now if we could just Suss out the new reilig all would be well again

Mass? Looks like it was more of an ordination! Congratulations and best wishes in your new post :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Muckit wrote: »
    Mass? Looks like it was more of an ordination!

What do you think that big 'do' in the Vatican earlier today was REALLY about? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Rovi wrote: »
    What do you think that big 'do' in the Vatican earlier today was REALLY about? ;)

A Female Bishop! about time!

Could this be Kovu?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

Last ewe lambed this morn. Now for Liverpool to win soccer and Munster the rugby it would really top it off. Going for a pint tonight anyway

sea12 wrote: »
    Last ewe lambed this morn. Now for Liverpool to win soccer and Munster the rugby it would really top it off. Going for a pint tonight anyway
    yup liverpool game will be a toughie

meningitis, second one this year

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

My heifer died after. Found her lying in the river :(

if it was a weekday i would have sent this one to the factory, she does look a bit better after getting the injections. feck thats a pity after all the work you put into her

Banned

:D:pac:

I've to go start a calf sucking now in my good mass clothes. Jaysus:pac:

Just back from the same thing

yup liverpool game will be a toughie

Another one

Crap

Not nice green. Sorry to here

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭jt65

if it was a weekday i would have sent this one to the factory, she does look a bit better after getting the injections. feck thats a pity after all the work you put into her

you got her early, good luck !!

jt65 wrote: »
    you got her early, good luck !!
    shes in shed outside back door of house and normally bawls at me for more meal everytime i walk by, knew there was something up this morning as she was still sitting down

what percentage of electricity, phone etc are put against farm?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

what percentage of electricity, phone etc are put against farm?

2/3s?

Timmaay wrote: »
    2/3s?
    guess what i am doing? should have finished it months ago

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement