Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming Chit Chat sallies Fourth

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

Just rang the vet about getting a few bloods done. He says I'm out of luck. No blood sample bottles to be had in the country. Some sort of screw up with a new tender. Going to be 2-3 weeks before they will have new bottles. Anyone heard anything about it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭jt65

whelan2 wrote: »
    we are the same just going to go over any tracks there are

how's the cow to day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,857 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Just rang the vet about getting a few bloods done. He says I'm out of luck. No blood sample bottles to be had in the country. Some sort of screw up with a new tender. Going to be 2-3 weeks before they will have new bottles. Anyone heard anything about it?
    yes about 2 months ago vets had to put bottles away for certain farmers, fecking joke it is

jt65 wrote: »
    how's the cow to day
    ear still droopy, shes bawling at me again everytime i walk by, it will be a long road but hopefully she will be ok

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Was moving cows and calves to a field adjacent to the one they were in today. Simple enough job open gate, call cows, close gate behind them. Grand stuff! All went to plan until two calves run back in when I went to go get the lick bucket Cows took off down the new field which is split into 5/6 smaller sections but we were giving them the run of it for now. Calves took off into the older fields which is also 5 fields with gaps and drains here/there/everywhere.

No chance of cows coming back as they're acting like heifers leaping round the place, not giving a hoot for their calves. Cue me chasing calves up and down hills and past the open :eek: gate into the new fields. Calves were well christened by the time they ran through the gate 30 mins later. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

.Kovu. wrote: »
    Was moving cows and calves to a field adjacent to the one they were in today. Simple enough job open gate, call cows, close gate behind them. Grand stuff! All went to plan until two calves run back in when I went to go get the lick bucket Cows took off down the new field which is split into 5/6 smaller sections but we were giving them the run of it for now. Calves took off into the older fields which is also 5 fields with gaps and drains here/there/everywhere.

No chance of cows coming back as they're acting like heifers leaping round the place, not giving a hoot for their calves. Cue me chasing calves up and down hills and past the open :eek: gate into the new fields. Calves were well christened by the time they ran through the gate 30 mins later. :pac:

Could you have left the gate open until they reunited . It would have saved the chasing . Them calves are very blind to going through a gap or gate once they are away from the cow

moy83 wrote: »
    Could you have left the gate open until they reunited . It would have saved the chasing . Them calves are very blind to going through a gap or gate once they are away from the cow

I could have but it's all hills and hollows and rush and scrub in areas. Safer to see the calves back through the gate than them going through the gripe/river that is at the bottom of the adjoining fields and having to rescue them later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

New axe design for you lads and ladies that like that kind of thing, someone had a good idea.

www.geek.com/news/physics-exploiting-axe-splits-wood-in-record-time-1591725/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

Herselfs phone and battery are sitting in a bowl of rice. Apparently coffee doesn't email well :pac:

Looking out at the cows at the moment. They're in a paddock close to the house. There's the remains of an old quarry in the corner of it all over grown skeachs, briars, all sorts of weeds. At least half of the cows are stuck in it. I wonder is there a benefit to leaving the odd corner like it. With all the reseeds and boundary fencing they are stuck with the same thing day in day out. I was on a farm walk years ago and the farmer in question had a small old growth wood at the end of one of his fields. He said the cows would walk over aftergrass to get to it when they were put into that field and spend most of the night in it. He reckoned they were getting all sorts of mins and vits that they would never get from the ryegrass swards.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

Looking out at the cows at the moment. They're in a paddock close to the house. There's the remains of an old quarry in the corner of it all over grown skeachs, briars, all sorts of weeds. At least half of the cows are stuck in it. I wonder is there a benefit to leaving the odd corner like it. With all the reseeds and boundary fencing they are stuck with the same thing day in day out. I was on a farm walk years ago and the farmer in question had a small old growth wood at the end of one of his fields. He said the cows would walk over aftergrass to get to it when they were put into that field and spend most of the night in it. He reckoned they were getting all sorts of mins and vits that they would never get from the ryegrass swards.
    Seemingly ivy is brilliant stuff for cows. They love it. Aunt told me before if you have a cow holding cleanings. Said get a bucket full of leaves and give it to her and shell clean. Must give it a go next time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

I think so. Too much of a mono culture wouldn't be good l would think. We ashumans are conditioned to think of ivy briars weeds etc as bad but to bovines they probably have a lot of merit as you say mineral and vitamin wise.

Afterall, variety is the spice of life!

Prime time looks good tonight. Meeting our 2020 food targets without breaking emission targets

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

Prime time looks good tonight. Meeting our 2020 food targets without breaking emission targets

Yeah, not a bother. I'll build ye all anaerobic digesters. Problem solved...............Small matter of a couple of million to get off ye first

Yeah, not a bother. I'll build ye all anaerobic digesters. Problem solved...............Small matter of a couple of million to get off ye first

Can a shared one of them be built that 4 or 5 farmers can use to supply power to local town?

youngest lad got the lend of a game off his friend for the nintendo 3ds. He washed the game with bubble bath:eek::eek: and put the game back into the ds. now neither the game or the 3ds will work:mad: game is 45 euro in smyths. He said he wanted to make sure the game was clean. After leaving the game and the 3ds on the aga , they might dry out. Cant see a reset button on the 3ds

• Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭C0N0R

youngest lad got the lend of a game off his friend for the nintendo 3ds. He washed the game with bubble bath:eek::eek: and put the game back into the ds. now neither the game or the 3ds will work:mad: game is 45 euro in smyths. He said he wanted to make sure the game was clean. After leaving the game and the 3ds on the aga , they might dry out. Cant see a rest button on the 3ds

Jesus whelan I think your house should go back to carrier pigeons and skipping ropes!! Ye don't seem to have the luck with technology!

Can a shared one of them be built that 4 or 5 farmers can use to supply power to local town?

Yeah. But try to get neighboring farmers to agree would take longer than the Northern Ireland peace process
    Slurry only digesters are becoming viable tho..... so youd never know what would happen

New axe design for you lads and ladies that like that kind of thing, someone had a good idea.

Looks interesting , I wonder if I get the old lad to weld something similar onto the side of the hatchet will it have the desired effect .
    I wish they would show a few knotty lumps being split to get a right idea of how it works , that timber is fierce clean looking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

youngest lad got the lend of a game off his friend for the nintendo 3ds. He washed the game with bubble bath:eek::eek: and put the game back into the ds. now neither the game or the 3ds will work:mad: game is 45 euro in smyths. He said he wanted to make sure the game was clean. After leaving the game and the 3ds on the aga , they might dry out. Cant see a reset button on the 3ds

Rice is a good man to draw out the moisture of electronics.
    Get a cup of rice and stick the game into it onto the back of the aga, not too much heat though.

You could do the same for the DS if you think it's damp.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Viewtodiefor

Anyone care to put a price on 3 aa heifers 1 approx 320kgs others 350ish.?

Out of British fresian cows and ai bulls nice heifers

Thanks

Anyone care to put a price on 3 aa heifers 1 approx 320kgs others 350ish.?

Out of British fresian cows and ai bulls nice heifers

Thanks

€750/800 ? Just a guess , I havent been to a mart in ages

€750/800 ? Just a guess , I havent been to a mart in ages

I'd say you're about right moy. The three I got last week averaged 310kg @ €703

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

Just watching it there now. What a load of twaddle. The Chinese are commissioning God knows how many coal fired power stations in place every day and were on about our impact on the planet!!. Even if we produced zero emissions it would not matter a jot. I think alot of these greenies need to fcuk off and find another island!!! Feel better for that rant!

I thought boards got them for you as a golden handshake :D

Mac Taylor wrote: »
    Just watching it there now. What a load of twaddle. The Chinese are commissioning God knows how many coal fired power stations in place every day and were on about our impact on the planet!!. Even if we produced zero emissions it would not matter a jot. I think alot of these greenies need to fcuk off and find another island!!! Feel better for that rant!
    Haha good thing I fecked of to the leaba so

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Viewtodiefor

Had an asking price of 800 in my head so not too far put I guess. Thanks lads

Had an asking price of 800 in my head so not too far put I guess. Thanks lads

You might even get a bit better on the right day . I hear lads saying there is good go on the aa / wh these days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

The timber looked handy enough to split. It looked like Birch. I was thinking, would it be hard on the wrist if it gave a bit of a twist?

• Advertisement

The timber looked handy enough to split. It looked like Birch. I was thinking, would it be hard on the wrist if it gave a bit of a twist?

From the writeup they are saying that there is actually less of a shock from it . I'd love to try one out to see what its like .
    The normal hatchet can give a dirty sting if slips sideways

I'd love to try one out to see what its like .
    The normal hatchet can give a dirty sting if slips sideways

I've suffered the same up and down. Still I'd like to give it a try. It's interesting that the design of the axe has remained within set parameters for millenia, but this now throws a cat amonst the pigeons!
    They're not making little of it with the price either!

I've suffered the same up and down. Still I'd like to give it a try. It's interesting that the design of the axe has remained within set parameters for millenia, but this now throws a cat amonst the pigeons!
    They're not making little of it with the price either!

I won't be buying one at that money , we have a fine splitter for the tractor that takes the sting out of things :D But it would be interesting to try it out all the same

I won't be buying one at that money , we have a fine splitter for the tractor that takes the sting out of things :D But it would be interesting to try it out all the same

I dunno how anyone uses an axe anyway to split timber. We have a splitting maul, half axe half sledge and it's some baby. Though I suppose hydraulic splitters are common now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭mayota

I'd love to try one of those.

I dunno how anyone uses an axe anyway to split timber. We have a splitting maul, half axe half sledge and it's some baby. Though I suppose hydraulic splitters are common now.

It can be fairly therapeutic if you're fairly p*ssed off at someone.
    Myself and the father split half a shed of timber over the winter!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Half the axe's sold are felling axe's, and not designed to split anything. A splitting axe would be about a lb. heavier, and a blunter profile. The splitting maul id the business for tough wood, but will send the pieces flying some distance if its a clean splitting piece of wood.

What a morning. Not usually up at this time but cruising through south Tipp atm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

What a morning. Not usually up at this time but cruising through south Tipp atm.

Very foggy here but warm

C0N0R wrote: »
    Jesus whelan I think your house should go back to carrier pigeons and skipping ropes!! Ye don't seem to have the luck with technology!
    both working this morning:D

Happy days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭Charliebull

Have often noticed that too, they go straight too the bad ground and spend time there

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭Charliebull

Any nod else get tags for beef genomics scheme yesterday, got tags in post, fcuking cows will end up full of tags

Any nod else get tags for beef genomics scheme yesterday, got tags in post, fcuking cows will end up full of tags

Worse than Kovu and her piercings :D

Oul boy dropped his phone into a bucket of milk a fortnight ago got it back on Saturday lighter 65 quid, dropped it in a water trough on Sunday morning. He was unapproachable for hours.

Reggie. wrote: »
    Worse than Kovu and her piercings :D

Got our tags this morning too ,they don't look right on me so the cows are welcome to them ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 320 ✭✭premier10

Anyone know how to correct a calf registration where the wrong AI code was entered? Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭on the river

premier10 wrote: »
    Anyone know how to correct a calf registration where the wrong AI code was entered? Thanks

Got our tags this morning too ,they don't look right on me so the cows are welcome to them ;)

You'll sport one yet

Can you change it there now? I had awful trouble a couple of years ago trying to change two codes. Bulls name was Westside bob so we used bob as the code by accident and that was an AA instead of BB so the breeds clashed. Took a lot of phone calls. Maybe they're better now!

And Reggie....no.....maybe for halloween!

Nothing like going into the agri store in full uniform to turn a few heads :D

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement