Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming Chit Chat sallies Fourth

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭Base price

ETTG is on earlier tonight at 7pm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

Biddy is farming boards poster girl:D:D:D (pun intended)

Id like to see that poster :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭biddy2013

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 341 ✭✭feartuath

Sitting in Ennis mart waiting to sell,4 more pens to go,here since 12:45
    It's a long waste of a day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 743 ✭✭✭GrandSoftDay

feartuath wrote: »
    Sitting in Ennis mart waiting to sell,4 more pens to go,here since 12:45
    It's a long waste of a day

I can relate to that, spent many's a day in your shoes down there!!

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Henwin

biddy2013 wrote: »

No but im on the lookout for something for ringworm.how much is tat stuff and where can you get it?
    mite try sulpher or iodine.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭f140

February is a month I hate. is the month tanks are full and cant be spread. no grass growing. too wet to put cattle out. you wonder to yourself how long will what silage you have at this point last. days are still short.

f140 wrote: »
    February is a month I hate. is the month tanks are full and cant be spread. no grass growing. too wet to put cattle out. you wonder to yourself how long will what silage you have at this point last.

Yes but there is only 8 days left in February

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭dzer2

Any one know what round bales of silage are making

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭f140

dzer2 wrote: »
    Any one know what round bales of silage are making

€20 if payed for in the yard

• Advertisement

forgot about ear to the ground:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

forgot about ear to the ground:cool:

Me too, wouldn't mind but I thought of it at 6.50, then went looking at fencing tools online and that, as they say, was that :rolleyes:

Me too, wouldn't mind but I thought of it at 6.50, then went looking at fencing tools online and that, as they say, was that :rolleyes:
    brought kids to apache pizza, great deals there, 5 of us all full for 35 euro

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭longgonesilver

Will you be able to watch ETTG on RTE+1 on Saorview?

I'd be hungry reading that except I'm stuffed on french toast, gas ran out just as I was done cooking, timing :D

I'd be hungry reading that except I'm stuffed on french toast, gas ran out just as I was done cooking, timing :D
    student special of 9inch pizza , chips and a can of mineral for 5 euro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

student special of 9inch pizza , chips and a can of mineral for 5 euro.

Not so bad, if you can still pass as a schoolgirl!!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

Ah your making me hungry now.
    Have nothing since one :(
    Only finished up now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

I bought a jar of that at a show a couple of months back as we often get a weinling with ringworm. Low and behold, I was housing a bull 2 weeks ago and noticed a big track of ringworm down from his eye and under his neck. I put it on and today it is almost gone.

Eur 6 for a jar is what he charged me.

• Advertisement

Dissussion group meeting today, hosted by AHI in members yard.
    Was a brilliant meeting I thought. Made us all remember the basices about mastitis and milking routine and pre milking routine again. as we started off the season again.
    The groups SCC average is 220 and our advisor gave us the challenge of reducing it to <180 by year end. Good task I thought.
    One main point that stuck in my mind was that the new belview plant is only going to produce baby formula and thus can only be made from sub 200scc milk as it is a high value product so glanbia are going to be supplying this plant with milk from suppliers that is consistently below 200scc and the rest will be put into cheese.
    So if your neighbour isbei g collected by a different lorry ye know why.
    It was also said that on April 1st the SCC limit is being brought down to 325k and will be 300k next year.
    Our SCC has started to rise to 180 at the moment so gave me a kick in the asz to be more particular in the parlour with teat spraying especially.

Are ye all up for the challenge to supply sub 200scc milk?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,316 ✭✭✭Gillespy

300k is going to up the ante for most farmers.

Give us a run down on was said in terms of the do's and don'ts.

Gillespy wrote: »
    300k is going to up the ante for most farmers.

Give us a run down on was said in terms of the do's and don'ts.

They said every farmer should be doing a sensitivety test so you know exactly what bugs you are dealing with and you can work from there.
    Showed us how to take a proper sensitivity test from a cow.
    They said the majority of herds in Ireland have staph aurus in mild forms. If a cows SCC is fluctuating up and down 100k this month 500k next month then it is mist likely a staph aurus.
    Showed us where the different bugs react and live in the cows udder.
    Every farmer should wear gloves, when you put on a pair of gloves milking you are sterile compared to dirty hands that are full of cracks and crevasses with bacteria.
    The local vet was there and he did a bit on treating mastitis.
    Very worthwhile meeting, every group should do it.
    Was a change from the usual grass and cost management

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Sub200 ha, last few weeks mine has been between 350 and 500 ugh! On top of it now, have any of the high scc milking last. Still pressing on and letting as much of the milk into the tank tho, it certainly pays to put it in the tank and take the small scc fine. In fairness our year average was 250ish last yr, down from 350ish the previous years, sub200 would be a reasonable target for this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

Are ye all up for the challenge to supply sub 200scc milk?

I've a soft horn thinking about it.

Timmaay wrote: »
    Sub200 ha, last few weeks mine has been between 350 and 500 ugh! On top of it now, have any of the high scc milking last. Still pressing on and letting as much of the milk into the tank tho, it certainly pays to put it in the tank and take the small scc fine. In fairness our year average was 250ish last yr, down from 350ish the previous years, sub200 would be a reasonable target for this year.

Very hard to get it low alright. A lot if things affect it_, environment, dry cow therapy, pre and post milking. Milking machine and miking hygiene.
    I want to try get it below 160 all year.
    A lot of SCC in Ireland is cows not sprayingvteats properly they said today

• Advertisement

Very hard to get it low alright. A lot if things affect it_, environment, dry cow therapy, pre and post milking. Milking machine and miking hygiene.
    I want to try get it below 160 all year.
    A lot of SCC in Ireland is cows not sprayingvteats properly they said today
    yup that is a big factor. did they show ye how its done properly

yup that is a big factor. did they show ye how its done properly

Ye. 15ml per cow. And make sure the back of teats get a good dousing. Takes time to put 15ml on a cow. Think he said you should be using 1.5l per 100 cows per milking spraying after milking

Yeh our pit is too bloody shallow, so almost impossible to see the teats without bending right down. Combine that with my dads poor back/hip, and 1/2 the time he doesn't put nearly enough dip on the teats at all. I've seen one or two relief milkers utterly flat to the boards and barely getting any dip on the teats either (and how they are in such a rush in my tiny 6unit parlour I don't know), anyways needless to say we didn't get them back again milking!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭hugo29

I've a soft horn thinking about it.

Ud want to get that seen too, before it goes hard on ya

hugo29 wrote: »
    Ud want to get that seen too, before it goes hard on ya

Too late :D. All this talk of hot frothy milk, and it the Spring time now, the sap is rising.
    I'd need to be careful or I'd hurt myself;)

• Advertisement

Too late :D. All this talk of hot frothy milk, and it the Spring time now, the sap is rising.
    I'd need to be careful or I'd hurt myself;)

You may get one of them polish wives.
    Very good workers i hear ;)

You may get one of them polish wives.
    Very good workers i hear ;)

Would ya quit. Hard enough to keep the one half right :-/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

Going on a stag tomorrow to Manchester Jesus it I'll be some craicover 30 of us going

naughto wrote: »
    Going on a stag tomorrow to Manchester Jesus it I'll be some craicover 30 of us going

What ever ye do don't shout abuse at the air hostesses if your drunk on the plane going:D they may look hot but by god they have tempers:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

I took a walk of my cows there with the dog , nothing near calving just more so to stretch the legs... Rose a duck or a drake in middle of pond in field (not a great sign.. It's usually dry) Calves tucked up by dry spot by west facing wall .. Happy out .. One heifer not sucked, roaring her head off.. Calf gone.. Got worried... Smart calf he had only let himself into shed and was flat out in his old corner on straw.. Completely oblivious .. Just opened the electric fence and let heifer into him for the night .. Didn't want to put him out after finding such a cosy spot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

Bodacious wrote: »
    I took a walk of my cows there with the dog , nothing near calving just more so to stretch the legs... Rose a duck or a drake in middle of pond in field (not a great sign.. It's usually dry) Calves tucked up by dry spot by west facing wall .. Happy out .. One heifer not sucked, roaring her head off.. Calf gone.. Got worried... Smart calf he had only let himself into shed and was flat out in his old corner on straw.. Completely oblivious .. Just opened the electric fence and let heifer into him for the night .. Didn't want to put him out after finding such a cosy spot

That is one fooker there is no fear of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 516 ✭✭✭TEAT SQUEEZER

pulled a giant angus bull calf a short while ago ...its rare I get to the last few inches on the calving jack:eek:...he belongs in some weanling sale in perth not inside my dairy cow...I too belong in perth (the other one) and maybe I should have stayed in it when i was there...:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

There was a debate here a few months ago about health insurance. Those with it couldn't live without it. Those without it couldn't see its need. The consensus among those that didn't have it was that in 2 years time James Reilly would be providing Free universal health care for everyone.

Any people actually believed it.

I half believed it myself for a while.

Typical spoofing from FG. Make everyone believe that they will get something for nothing and then try to hide the fact that they have to pay for it.

If you don't pay up they'll take it from your wages!

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/draft-report-requires-everyone-to-have-standard-health-insurance-623213.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭dzer2

reilig wrote: »
    There was a debate here a few months ago about health insurance. Those with it couldn't live without it. Those without it couldn't see its need. The consensus among those that didn't have it was that in 2 years time James Reilly would be providing Free universal health care for everyone.

Any people actually believed it.

I half believed it myself for a while.

Typical spoofing from FG. Make everyone believe that they will get something for nothing and then try to hide the fact that they have to pay for it.

If you don't pay up they'll take it from your wages!

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/draft-report-requires-everyone-to-have-standard-health-insurance-623213.html

I can see this coming in but the most basic package would onloy get you through the door of the hospital and like enything in this country the top will cream it.

dzer2 wrote: »
    I can see this coming in but the most basic package would onloy get you through the door of the hospital and like enything in this country the top will cream it.

What the hell is the difference between this and likes of the universe social charge? Its just another stealth tax basically?

• Advertisement

does anyone have a link to the 94b form from dept of ag, registered a bull calf as a heifer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Timmaay wrote: »
    What the hell is the difference between this and likes of the universe social charge? Its just another stealth tax basically?

There's nothing stealth about it, its direct taxation plain and simple. But worse its double taxation !!
    If they were to take a few hundered extra in tax is one thing, but to then take it from net income is another tax on already taxed income.

And it seems community rating for the additional cover is being eliminated... So those who actually need extra cover will be screwed over to get it from the health care companies.. People over 60 or those with pre-existing conditions (like myself) will be priced out of additional cover as we'll actually use it !!

Minister Reilly has no idea what he's up to... I'd question his medical/health abilities - how else could one explain his looking like a cock of hay with a beard, I'd also question his business accumin as he's being chased by the banks for failed investments in nursing homes..

The country is being run by scam artists !! Possibly a worse shower than the last, not that I thought that was possible..

I'll be continuing to spoil my vote in the general elections for a considerable time going forward... we don't have a party fit to lead the country who isnt pandering to the whims of parties with vested interests.

Was out for a few hours repairing storm damaged fences. Found a use for the broken ones as stays and tie backs for other stakes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Was out for a few hours repairing storm damaged fences. Found a use for the broken ones as stays and tie backs for other stakes.
    ah the brain was working there

Reggie. wrote: »
    ah the brain was working there

Recycling :D

Recycling :D
    hippy :P

Reggie. wrote: »
    hippy :P

Ah I'll run over a puppy or burn some old car tires later to even it out :cool:

leave the puppy out of it you

Ye can have a few jex bulls if ye want yo take it on something ;)

• Advertisement

Ye can have a few jex bulls if ye want yo take it on something ;)

Fella near here had a saying, if you want to do someone long term harm, leave him a farm. Think that curse status could be upgraded if it was filled with jex bulls first :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement