Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming Chit Chat sallies Fourth

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭Charliebull

or maybe 'on you';)

:eek: sweet jayus, its been a while since ive been jumped on:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭on the river

:eek: sweet jayus, its been a while since ive been jumped on:D

cows not coming in heat:D

cows not coming in heat:D

no i just always like to know whats jumping on me first:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 157 ✭✭flat out !!

"Minister Noonan has announced exemption from Capital Gains Tax on gains from forced sale of SFP Entitlements as a result of changes to CAP. ICMSA."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭on the river

no i just always like to know whats jumping on me first:)

ya i know you do;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

gadetra wrote: »
    Bleugh that makes my skin crawl. Hideous old fcuker. I be boiling wit rage if I was one of those young ladies (although it's been a while since I was in school :pac: ). He'd be getting a right earful from me the next morning. Ugh!

Probably as well not staying with me alight at the weekend :p:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭exercise is the antidote

"Minister Noonan has announced exemption from Capital Gains Tax on gains from forced sale of SFP Entitlements as a result of changes to CAP. ICMSA."

Seen this the other day on my travels

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

Ha ha no way I will wave at you when I go by! Where are you on the route? I will keep my eyes peeled for *insert Fraaanch accent* grand project drain-age ;)

Mine is the gate with the crumpled bicycles hanging from it :D Can't see feck all of my farm from the road, thank God, nice wood outside of it :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

Off to rally of the lakes for a weekend of beer tomorrow evening. Can't wait for a break. Will be good to catch up with the lads from college again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,858 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

youngest lad just told me to give up farming and get a proper job:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Off to rally of the lakes for a weekend of beer tomorrow evening. Can't wait for a break. Will be good to catch up with the lads from college again

This week has been on of the laziest for me in ages I'll admit ha, have been off the farm last 4days during most the day, and will be away sat mon and tue! I could get use of this part time farming :p

whelan2 wrote: »

The future minister of agriculture that lad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

Any idea what he would call a proper job?

Power washing maybe

I see the Giro d'Italia is nearly goin by Whelans gate. Will ya tip down for a gander W1?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

Timmaay wrote: »
    This week has been on of the laziest for me in ages I'll admit ha, have been off the farm last 4days during most the day, and will be away sat mon and tue! I could get use of this part time farming :p

This has been my busiest week. Up at 6 each morn and not finished till 8 most nights. Not even finished yet ha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭C0N0R

This has been my busiest week. Up at 6 each morn and not finished till 8 most nights. Not even finished yet ha

Clearly spending to much time on boards!

I see the Giro d'Italia is nearly goin by Whelans gate. Will ya tip down for a gander W1?
    yup. should be interesting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

Sell him to the circus, that'll learn him.

the ads on kids channel, they say if you are in full time employment you can get a loan, think its terrible having these ads on kids channels. Just after christmas the same lad said to me that need to log on to park.co.uk -a catalogue company- as i would have a stress free christmas next year:cool: they where advertising alot then

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

moy83 wrote: »
    Probably as well not staying with me alight at the weekend :p:D:D

Jaysus will I be safe only an hour away? :eek: ;)
    Mine is the gate with the crumpled bicycles hanging from it :D Can't see feck all of my farm from the road, thank God, nice wood outside of it :cool:

:eek: I'm taking my life into my own hands crossing the Shannon by the sounds of it!

Ah you're not advertising your draining prowess being behind a wood. Don't hide your light under a bushel :p

I will be easy to spot. There will be two 'peletons' speeding along. After this a variety of stragglers will remain. I will be amongst them!

the ads on kids channel, they say if you are in full time employment you can get a loan, think its terrible having these ads on kids channels. Just after christmas the same lad said to me that need to log on to park.co.uk -a catalogue company- as i would have a stress free christmas next year:cool: they where advertising alot then

It's frightening the power of advertising. I often hear my own lads reciting ads word for word, without even thinking about it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

It's frightening the power of advertising. I often hear my own lads reciting ads word for word, without even thinking about it!

We ditched the TV
    Only Netflix and RTE player.
    Kids never see a TV ad now at all.
    Saves a few hindered euro a year too.

_Brian wrote: »
    We ditched the TV

Is netflix expensive?? It is tv series and films aye?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Farrell

We ditched the TV
    Would you still have to get a tv licence?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Farrell

Just registered some calves on agfood, & saw link for sustainable use directive system.
    Does anyone know what this is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Farrell wrote: »
    Would you still have to get a tv licence?

The licence is for possession of an "apparatus capable of receiving a signal"
    So even if RTE ceased broadcasting altogether, you would still be legally required to have a licence if you have a TV.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

Jaysus will I be safe only an hour away? :eek: ;)
    All depends on Cons report of the saddle view :D and of course in the interest of your safety make sure to bring the bike up onto the ditch if there is a car coming . Them Conemara men only give way to sheep and bigger/faster vehicles :p

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    The licence is for possession of an "apparatus capable of receiving a signal"
    So even if RTE ceased broadcasting altogether, you would still be legally required to have a licence if you have a TV.:rolleyes:

You can disable a tv from receiving signal. Either that or buy a computer monitor, problem solved!

• Advertisement

Netflix costs €7 a month. There is a patch or bypass which allows you to choose which country it sees you as being in. This opens considerably more content. Films, documentaries, TV series, raft of kids program's.

Ye we would still need a TV liscence (in theory)

There are also sites to download movies from, but best not get into that here. I hear they have all the best latest movies. ;)

C0N0R wrote: »
    You can disable a tv from receiving signal. Either that or buy a computer monitor, problem solved!

Yes and no.
    The new broadcasting charge will just charge every household based on the theory that every house will have a device capable of viewing media. Be that broadcast, streamed or downloaded.

Yes and no.
    The new broadcasting charge will just charge every household based on the theory that every house will have a device capable of viewing media. Be that broadcast, streamed or downloaded.

Closing all loopholes I see. How good is your internet connection? Are you streaming or can you download before you watch?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

moy83 wrote: »
    All depends on Cons report of the saddle view :D and of course in the interest of your safety make sure to bring the bike up onto the ditch if there is a car coming . Them Conemara men only give way to sheep and bigger/faster vehicles :p

Ha ha, I am imagining an Anne Doyle style news report! I hope your place isn't on the route too :eek:

Onto the ditch? Nah, punctures are not fun. And I can give him a run for his money up to 68kmph. Down a hill. A large hill. On a smooth road! :p (Twas fairly shaky going over 65 on my trusty old steed. But speeeeeeeed :D :pac: ) Sure I can draft him uphill :p Cyclist friendly handles on all tractors in the vicinity would be muchly appreciated ;)

C0N0R wrote: »
    Closing all loopholes I see. How good is your internet connection? Are you streaming or can you download before you watch?

Our connection is poor..
    1.4-1.8Mb down and 0.2Mb up..

Netflix runs on away fine and only rarely has to buffer for 20seconds, rarely meaning I haven't see it do that in maybe two months. Netflix is a streaming only service.

I would download movise to watch later, not from netflix :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Where did iaklills tread this morning go??

• Advertisement

Muckit wrote: »
    Where did iaklills tread this morning go??

I wondered the same. I assume mod intervention for some reason?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

I wondered the same. I assume mod intervention for some reason?

Probably self preservation ..............

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

I pm'd kovu and heard nothing

It was an odd situation to find oneself in. Life can deal ya a funny hand betimes!

Farrell wrote: »
    Just registered some calves on agfood, & saw link for sustainable use directive system.
    Does anyone know what this is?
    i asked that on here a few weeks ago, didnt get any replies

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭A cow called Daisy

Is it just me or has the farmers journal got more and more pointless/uninteresting over the last while. Used to buy and read several bits in it. Now i just glance through it and see very little of interest that i could be bothered reading - not even when lighting the fire with it!

Is it just me or has the farmers journal got more and more pointless/uninteresting over the last while. Used to buy and read several bits in it. Now i just glance through it and see very little of interest that i could be bothered reading - not even when lighting the fire with it!
    i normally buy papers in the morning and give them to my parents in the evening time. Havent had a chance to read the journal in ages. Most days i give the papers to them unopened

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭I said

Social media is passing it by

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

I said wrote: »
    Social media is passing it by

I'd say reporting on farming is like reporting on paint drying......nothing new happening, industry dying, no new blood coming into farming.
    Same thing happening in the discussion groups, rehashing the same thing over and over again....outlook bleak.
    Unlike F Indo, I'd imagine IFJ have probably been asked not to talk down the price of milk until it actually happens, so they have missed the chance to comment on what appears to be a major development this week, whereas indo gave it the front page

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Mods have to sleep a bit too! :D

PM sent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭jt65

I havent bought the journal in years

no interest in machinery ads, (especially when 4 months old)

not interested in photos of who is at such a mart or show

the factory quotes are inaccurate

& a certain dairy columnist writes rubbish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

I actually asked the mods to delete the thread and Rovi kindly did, and woops i had the wrong Kovu on the PM

I was simply asking a question yesterday. There was no other motive.

I was simply trying to facilitate someone who had their backs against the wall. No means of credit was available and I simply was exploring all options they had offered as alternate security

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

You'd wonder about it, has it a future? I'm the opposite to whelan, my parents buy it and then pass it on to me. Most weeks I just glance through it, maybe we should have a review of it on here at lunchtime on thursdays, one of us buy it and the rest of us can find out if it's worth the money or not for that week.

I reckon when my parent's generation pass on the journal will go with them. Still it's probably better than the 'yellow peril':pac:

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

blue5000 wrote: »
    You'd wonder about it, has it a future? I'm the opposite to whelan, my parents buy it and then pass it on to me. Most weeks I just glance through it, maybe we should have a review of it on here at lunchtime on thursdays, one of us buy it and the rest of us can find out if it's worth the money or not for that week.

I reckon when my parent's generation pass on the journal will go with them. Still it's probably better than the 'yellow peril':pac:

Surely Agriland.ie is the final nail in the Journal's coffin..
    When you read the rag it seems stuffy, old and what I would imagine only applicable to a small number of farmers on any week.. the machinery ads have taken over too..
    I'd love to see actual circulation figures... surely they're down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

Surely Agriland.ie is the final nail in the Journal's coffin..
    When you read the rag it seems stuffy, old and what I would imagine only applicable to a small number of farmers on any week.. the machinery ads have taken over too..
    I'd love to see actual circulation figures... surely they're down.

I like the IFJ, read most of it everyweek.
    Irish Times wrote a report on it a couple months ago which I thought summed it up, it gives the circulation there as well

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/sectors/media-and-marketing/irish-farmers-journal-a-leader-in-the-newspaper-field-1.1705625?page=2

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement