Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming Chit Chat sallies Fourth

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

Muckit wrote: »
    Be thankful twas just your hand and not your purse you caught

I think a few lads need to invest in trousers or have savage barbed wire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

Reggie. wrote: »
    And the worst part is I ain't allowed put the calves on the lawn.... the kitchen commander says no :mad:

What about a ewe and lamb for the lawn?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

simx wrote: »
    What about a ewe and lamb for the lawn?

Its off limits I'm told. Calves would look the part out there too. Nice bit of timber fencing....oh I can see it now :(

Its off limits I'm told. Calves would look the part out there too. Nice bit of timber fencing....oh I can see it now :(

Going to put a ewe and lamb on mine, sick of cutting it thing ha

Going to put a ewe and lamb on mine, sick of cutting it thing ha

Its your funeral :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭Charliebull

ellewood wrote: »
    Ah u have just relised u have bought too small...

:D no need to compensate ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭ellewood

:D no need to compensate ;)

reverse psycology

reverse psycology

I agree :D

Its your funeral :D

No one going to give me a hiding over it be grand

• Advertisement

reverse psycology

Don't use reverse, forward gear only,

Don't use reverse, forward gear only,

Bloody Jeremy Clarkson here :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭ellewood

Bloody Jeremy Clarkson here :P

Powe power power and more power

Twin stacks on the mower next

No one going to give me a hiding over it be grand

Ain't you the blessed one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

A finishing mower on a 35x or 135 is what ye all need instead of looking like clowns on a rolly toys tractor :D:D:D

• Advertisement

It's nothing to do with the size of the weapon, tis the power of the shot

A finishing mower on a 35x or 135 is what ye all need instead of looking like clowns on a rolly toys tractor :D:D:D

Or worse again have the wheels start to slip on the hill due to the "weight"

Twin stacks on the mower next

There is only one place to look at twin stacks

Really?

There is only one place to look at twin stacks

A certain door in galway perhaps :D

• Advertisement

Ah muckit, don't knock it till you try it,

Really?

Yep that and a good driver

Yep that and a good driver

C licence :D

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Damo810

Tis not the size of the tractor, but the power at the shaft!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

If ya thought that was good, watch this
    http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=HhabgvIIXik

It's brilliant!

gadetra wrote: »
    If ya thought that was good, watch this
    http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=HhabgvIIXik

It's brilliant!

If I tried any of that I'd end up in a heap on the ground :D

If I tried any of that I'd end up in a heap on the ground :D

As would I! I do not bounce around on my bikes. Mild bunny hopping in an emergency is about the height of it. There's Road Bike Party 1 too which is pretty cool. The guy who did them, Martyn Ssjton, was paralysed from the waist down in a motorbike accident half way through the making of that linked video. Scary stuff. And so sad. Genius on a bike though.

ETA Different guy, but there's turf in this video!
    http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=Cj6ho1-G6tw

As would I! I do not bounce around on my bikes. Mild bunny hopping in an emergency is about the height of it. There's Road Bike Party 1 too which is pretty cool. The guy who did them, Martyn Ssjton, was paralysed from the waist down in a motorbike accident half way through the making of that linked video. Scary stuff. And so sad. Genius on a bike though.

ETA Different guy, but there's turf in this video!
    http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=Cj6ho1-G6tw

Have a mate who that happened to aswell. Came off a mountain bike on a track and landed on the rock with his back

Have a mate who that happened to aswell. Came off a mountain bike on a track and landed on the rock with his back

Shocking how quick it can happen. Did you watch the documentary on the National Rehabilitation hospital? Saddest programme I may have ever seen. Lots of hope etc. But so many people with such catastrophic, life changing injuries. And so simple it can happen. Really makes you count your blessings seeing something like that.

Shocking how quick it can happen. Did you watch the documentary on the National Rehabilitation hospital? Saddest programme I may have ever seen. Lots of hope etc. But so many people with such catastrophic, life changing injuries. And so simple it can happen. Really makes you count your blessings seeing something like that.

Have another mate who came off a motorbike that was told he would not walk again but persisted. He's walking away now doing kickboxing and all. His back still gets stiff and the likes tho

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

Have another mate who came off a motorbike that was told he would not walk again but persisted. He's walking away now doing kickboxing and all. His back still gets stiff and the likes tho

They're only guessing sometimes, I was told I'd definitely lose a finger, probably lose my hand and possibly my arm when I got septicemia once.

They're only guessing sometimes, I was told I'd definitely lose a finger, probably lose my hand and possibly my arm when I got septicemia once.

Jesus the news was getting better all the time for you there :eek:

:eek: :eek: Jesus how'd that happen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

:eek: :eek: Jesus how'd that happen?

Horn branding a ewe lamb at dipping time, hacksaw slipped and clipped my little finger. Got infected due to the lovely clean job of that day - despite me washing it out after. Small simple operation to let the corruption or whatever it was and IV antibiotics and I was right as rain. Still got all ten fingers and twelve toes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

You were lucky.
    My cousin lost his thumb and his hand is looking bad with a problem showing further up the arm too. Sometimes things go bad !!

Horn branding a ewe lamb at dipping time, hacksaw slipped and clipped my little finger. Got infected due to the lovely clean job of that day - despite me washing it out after. Small simple operation to let the corruption or whatever it was and IV antibiotics and I was right as rain. Still got all ten fingers and twelve toes.

Ah sure your grand so....even have a few "spares" :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 743 ✭✭✭GrandSoftDay

Your after reminding me of my auld lad when I was only 4 or 5 years old. He was splitting timber and somehow managed to chop off the top of his finger with an axe. The man doesn't believe in doctors so he gave himself a few cc of pen strep to stop it getting infected :rolleyes: I also saw him stitching himself with a needle and thread another time he got a bad cut on his arm and resetting a broken finger with plaster Paris himself!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

Your after reminding me of my auld lad when I was only 4 or 5 years old. He was splitting timber and somehow managed to chop off the top of his finger with an axe. The man doesn't believe in doctors so he gave himself a few cc of pen strep to stop it getting infected :rolleyes: I also saw him stitching himself with a needle and thread another time he got a bad cut on his arm and resetting a broken finger with plaster Paris himself!

He must have a fairly high pain threshold to be able to stitch himself . I would be getting faint if the doc takes out the needle for a jab !

moy83 wrote: »
    He must have a fairly high pain threshold to be able to stitch himself . I would be getting faint if the doc takes out the needle for a jab !

He's a hardy sort alright, he fell off the chimney another day putting up a television ariel, landed on his arse, stood up and headed straight up the ladder again. He's like health and safety's worst nightmare.

• Advertisement

Is your auld lad bear Grylls

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

He's a hardy sort alright, he fell off the chimney another day putting up a television ariel, landed on his arse, stood up and headed straight up the ladder again. He's like health and safety's worst nightmare.

I'm sorry im not as tough as some of them old boys ! We are getting softer all the time I think and some of that could be down to health and safety . My own old boy cut his knee with the chainsaw years ago and was hobbling around for yonks but got better eventually . He had an tests and X rays done a couple of years ago and they showed him the gouge still on his kneecap . He couldn't even remember what happen until he told the mother and she told him

Is your auld lad bear Grylls

Ha, iv yet to see him eat a spider or give himself an enema as bad and all as he is!

I'm sorry im not as tough as some of them old boys ! We are getting softer all the time I think and some of that could be down to health and safety . My own old boy cut his knee with the chainsaw years ago and was hobbling around for yonks but got better eventually . He had an tests and X rays done a couple of years ago and they showed him the gouge still on his kneecap . He couldn't even remember what happen until he told the mother and she told him

There's a fine line between tough and stupid Moy, I don't think a lot of them knew where it was though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Mad4simmental

I remember my late uncle lost 3 fingers in one hand and a finger and a thumb on the other. I think it was a tailgate of a trailer or sum thing. When I was young he ust to tell me he ate them when they were in his sambo. It youst to leave me pondering for hours, ha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

It is not so much H&S but the excuses that arise from it. Big companies and government are loath to employ directly now due to employment costs. It is easier to subcontract( however not all the answers) H&S has a lot to answer for and those that train/advacote it. It has got to a crazy situtation the extent that large company's want to sub everything as it leaves them one removed from potential liability and the small cotracting can always fold if things go wrong.

A lot is the so called blame cutlure that exists in that there is a tendancy to look for some one to blame. Yes these is certain risks and dangers that need to be reduced but technicall no farmers could employ someone to herd cattle or look at them in a field. Feed ration at grazing etc etc.

There are positives from more awareness but in Ireland like any regulation we seem to go to extremes. At this stage if someone want a lad to paint a house you need a programe manager to look after him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,867 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

got my arm stitched with no anesthetic, wouldnt do it again.. fair play to him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭onyerbikepat

It is not so much H&S but the excuses that arise from it. Big companies and government are loath to employ directly now due to employment costs. It is easier to subcontract( however not all the answers) H&S has a lot to answer for and those that train/advacote it. It has got to a crazy situtation the extent that large company's want to sub everything as it leaves them one removed from potential liability and the small cotracting can always fold if things go wrong.

A lot is the so called blame cutlure that exists in that there is a tendancy to look for some one to blame. Yes these is certain risks and dangers that need to be reduced but technicall no farmers could employ someone to herd cattle or look at them in a field. Feed ration at grazing etc etc.

There are positives from more awareness but in Ireland like any regulation we seem to go to extremes. At this stage if someone want a lad to paint a house you need a programe manager to look after him
    I know. It's ridiculous alright. Where I work we had to get a guy in from a subcontractor just to use a grinder to cut some steel. There he was working away and two trained fitters with over 50 years experience between them, standing there looking at him.
    They weren't 'trained' so they weren't covered by insurance to use it.

I know. It's ridiculous alright. Where I work we had to get a guy in from a subcontractor just to use a grinder to cut some steel. There he was working away and two trained fitters with over 50 years experience between them, standing there looking at him.
    They weren't 'trained' so they weren't covered by insurance to use it.

That's some ****e

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

A friend of mine in the trucking business tells of a place he goes sometimes, where he has to don the full safety harness complete with energy absorbing lanyard while he's walking around on the flat-bed trailer.

The trailer is 4 to 5 foot high.
    The lanyard is 6 foot long.

Doesn't matter, the lad with the white hard hat and the clipboard INSISTS on its use :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

I am one of those people that H&S shudder to see unfortunately. Wound opened on my tummy after a fairly serous op, a day after I got the stitches out, I twisted some strange way in the shed and the top 2-3 inched opened. Grand say , I'm not going back to hospital. Bandages and tape.:eek: Only last week I cracked a helmet after coming off the horse. Helmet tore a gash on the back of my head, second time that's happened. No hard really, the helmet was free after the last one did the same, only it gashed the other side of my head :pac:

Maybe I have a wonky sized head.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement