Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming Chit Chat sallies Fourth

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

.Kovu. wrote: »
    I am one of those people that H&S shudder to see unfortunately. Wound opened on my tummy after a fairly serous op, a day after I got the stitches out, I twisted some strange way in the shed and the top 2-3 inched opened. Grand say , I'm not going back to hospital. Bandages and tape.:eek: Only last week I cracked a helmet after coming off the horse. Helmet tore a gash on the back of my head, second time that's happened. No hard really, the helmet was free after the last one did the same, only it gashed the other side of my head :pac:

Maybe I have a wonky sized head.

Maybe you should lock yourself into a padded cell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Reggie. wrote: »
    Maybe you should lock yourself into a padded cell

Sure where do you think I am now:D It's nice in here, could do with a potted plant though.

Sure where do you think I am now:D It's nice in here, could do with a potted plant though.

Knowing you, you would split your head off the pot :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

I am one of those people that H&S shudder to see unfortunately. Wound opened on my tummy after a fairly serous op, a day after I got the stitches out, I twisted some strange way in the shed and the top 2-3 inched opened. Grand say , I'm not going back to hospital. Bandages and tape.:eek: Only last week I cracked a helmet after coming off the horse. Helmet tore a gash on the back of my head, second time that's happened. No hard really, the helmet was free after the last one did the same, only it gashed the other side of my head :pac:

Maybe I have a wonky sized head.

Rua the scamp! ouch though, I visibly winced a the stitches opening youch. Time for a new hat I think! I'd offer you mine, it has had hardly any use since new, but I have a tiny pea head and it's a kids one :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,359 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Anyone know how much 150grms of cal mag is. I have no way of measuring such as small quantity.
    I asked in the dairy tread but didn't get an answer. I thought they would know over there but reckon they use it in bulk rather than for an individual cow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Base price wrote: »
    Anyone know how much 150grms of cal mag is. I have no way of measuring such as small quantity.
    I asked in the dairy tread but didn't get an answer. I thought they would know over there but reckon they use it in bulk rather than for an individual cow.

5 1/2 ounces in old money, according to our kitchen scales. So just over a quarter pound?

Perhaps 15 grams would be nearer the mark? Quarter pound of Mag powder sounds a hell of a dose! About an ounce?

gadetra wrote: »
    Rua the scamp! ouch though, I visibly winced a the stitches opening youch. Time for a new hat I think! I'd offer you mine, it has had hardly any use since new, but I have a tiny pea head and it's a kids one :o

Rua is being a right scamp! He has learned how to undo the double bolt on his pen now :eek:

And he burst the yoga ball. But I've learned he can jump (into new fields) :D:pac:

Offt, I used to have a really nice Charles Owen helmet, until I found a dead mouse it in. After I put it on my head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,867 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

find it alot handier to give them 2 magnessium bullets or use a bucket of hi mag mineral lick

Offt, I used to have a really nice Charles Owen helmet, until I found a dead mouse it in. After I put it on my head.
    at least he was dead:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,359 ✭✭✭✭Base price

whelan2 wrote: »
    find it alot handier to give them 2 magnessium bullets or use a bucket of hi mag mineral lick
    It probably would be a better idea to give her boluses and then I know she is covered. She does not seem to like the taste of the cal mag powder in the nuts and it is supposed to be sweetened :(
    I might add a little treacle or honey to it this evening :)

• Advertisement

It probably would be a better idea to give her boluses and then I know she is covered. She does not seem to like the taste of the cal mag powder in the nuts and it is supposed to be sweetened :(
    I might add a little treacle or honey to it this evening :)
    ye think the bullets would ne the better option so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

I know. It's ridiculous alright. Where I work we had to get a guy in from a subcontractor just to use a grinder to cut some steel. There he was working away and two trained fitters with over 50 years experience between them, standing there looking at him.
    They weren't 'trained' so they weren't covered by insurance to use it.

Madness . I was having the craic with a safety officer awhile back , she didnt see it as craic so decided to show me how serious health and safety was ! A small patch in a coco apartment that should have cost 50 squids ended up a 700 by the time I had all my certs and statements done up for her . It was an normal 8' ceiling but she wouldnt let me use a crate or stepladder , I had to get a registered scaffolder to erect the mini scaffolding and sign off on it .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

For f""k sake. That's crazy. No wonder the country is banjaxed with that sort of carry on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

sea12 wrote: »
    For f""k sake. That's crazy. No wonder the country is banjaxed with that sort of carry on.

Plenty of madness without looking outside this forum. Under the current proposals for commonage, say a farmer was the only farmer on that commonage, s/he would have to carry ALL of the minimum stock number of the all of the shares, not just his/her own share, to meet GAEC/regulations. You could have a farm capable of supporting 200 sheep, forced to carry 2,000 sheep to satisfy a paper exercise.

Have no problem with farmers having to farm their own share, or letting other farmers farm their share by agreement. But, this forced dictation is absurd.

Plenty of madness without looking outside this forum. Under the current proposals for commonage, say a farmer was the only farmer on that commonage, s/he would have to carry ALL of the minimum stock number of the all of the shares, not just his/her own share, to meet GAEC/regulations. You could have a farm capable of supporting 200 sheep, forced to carry 2,000 sheep to satisfy a paper exercise.

Have no problem with farmers having to farm their own share, or letting other farmers farm their share by agreement. But, this forced dictation is absurd.

Well that's not going to work.

Amazing we never hear those stories in the farming ind or journal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

Well that's not going to work.

Amazing we never hear those stories in the farming ind or journal.

That's just the tip of the iceberg.

A group of farmers have come together and have the first draught I suppose you could call it, of a really practical commonage management system written out.

I'd be one of the most critical farmers of the past headage system and the damage it incurred and even I was surprised about how progressive it is.

Some absolutely critical issues are dealt with such as "managing" the problem of GAEC, which is easily the biggest threat to commonage farmers SFP. So many people think it can be negotiated away, it can't and won't be.

There's also an eloquent methodology of dealing with individual commonages, as no two are the same, and also the stocking levels on the individual farm. This is important to ensure no single farmer feels they are being forced into a system due to the actions of others.

There's also a management agreement, a sort of collective agreement. This is important as it's "collective responsibility" that is the killer, not collective agreement. Reject collective responsibility as a red line issue as no farmer has control over another farmer.

The keys for me are fairness, agreement, and individual responsibility.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 743 ✭✭✭GrandSoftDay

Tired now, decided I was going cutting rushes with the strimmer earlier , covered about 3 acres with the odd clump here and there. Very satisfying looking back on a clean piece of ground that is too steep and rocky for the tractor to travel with a topper. Another few starts of evenings and I will have all the hill cleared!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Don't know how you would go on if that happened.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Don't know how you would go on if that happened.

Yup it would break your heart , awful thing to happen .

it would be my worst nightmare

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭mayota

Thoughts with the poor family, sad beyond words.

it would be my worst nightmare

Same as. Esp with the little one here now it really hits home

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

no words for it, very sad

Yep I think when u have Ure own kids u really understand the hearth ace . Unimaginable horrow god help them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭Deepsouthwest

Yep I think when u have Ure own kids u really understand the hearth ace . Unimaginable horrow god help them.

I agree, now that I have my own kids the thought of something like that gives me shivers, so so sad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Your after reminding me of my auld lad when I was only 4 or 5 years old. He was splitting timber and somehow managed to chop off the top of his finger with an axe. The man doesn't believe in doctors so he gave himself a few cc of pen strep to stop it getting infected :rolleyes: I also saw him stitching himself with a needle and thread another time he got a bad cut on his arm and resetting a broken finger with plaster Paris himself!

A long time a go had a little accident with a full sized axe blade making contacting with the front of the head - luckily no major damage done - just stitches and a very confused GP ;-) And yes it was legit accident - with wood and an axe wielding eejit involved. Beautiful scar too....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

In all fairness l don't think one needs to have children to be able to empathise with the situation.

A child died tragically. Unless you were a stone you'd find it sad

Muckit wrote: »
    In all fairness l don't think one needs to have children to be able to empathise with the situation.

Agree ud feed sorrowful but when u have Ure own u realise how precious they are and how it could be u in that situation,

Muckit wrote: »

Yeah but it cuts a little deeper muckit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I spent my early working life servicing machines round farms all the time.. One I visited regularly had a 3YO child killed under similar circumstances..
    For the years after that I was working there the place had an air of sadness and you could nearly imagine that the colour of everything was faded too, the people were mere shadows of their former selves..
    Extended relatives had a 12YO killed in their own laneway in a tragic accident and similarly things have never been the same again..

All we can do is be as careful as we can... and pray to god (or whoever) that this never ever visits our door.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭dharn

I think when you have your own kids you really understand the heartache . Unimaginable horror god help them ....fixed your post :D

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Parishlad

Sympathies to the family and all concerned. Absolutely terrible thing to happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭GY A1

tis very sad

The two cows I tagged with the beef genomic tags have them ripped out this morning:pac:

Anyone know if they need to be replaced? I sent the samples off alright.

dharn wrote: »
    I think when you have your own kids you really understand the heartache . Unimaginable horror god help them ....fixed your post :D

Tx god damn predictive text

The two cows I tagged with the beef genomic tags have them ripped out this morning:pac:

Anyone know if they need to be replaced? I sent the samples off alright.
    we didnt get these tags at all, is everyone getting them, we had been sending off samples through the aa association

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Suckler

Read back a few pages and everyone is scoffing at Health and Safety as nonsense. Shyte about People were supposedly "Tougher" in by gone days etc. and then everyone seems full of emotion after another accident.

Its for these reasons H&S has had to be forcibly put in place. Some people are too stupid to realise what they are doing until lives are ruined.

we didnt get these tags at all, is everyone getting them, we had been sending off samples through the aa association

We applied for the scheme, don't know if everyone needs to apply for it or not. Was it moy or someone who didn't apply and got tags delivered?

Apologies if it wasn't you moy, someone in the clare area I think.

Suckler wrote: »
    Read back a few pages and everyone is scoffing at Health and Safety as nonsense. Shyte about People were supposedly "Tougher" in by gone days etc. and then everyone seems full of emotion after another accident.

Its for these reasons H&S has had to be forcibly put in place. Some people are too stupid to realise what they are doing until lives are ruined.
    accidents happen, rest in peace to the little lad.

• Advertisement

We applied for the scheme, don't know if everyone needs to apply for it or not. Was it moy or someone who didn't apply and got tags delivered?

Apologies if it wasn't you moy, someone in the clare area I think.
    ye we did apply online and by post to be sure. Wonder should i ring them, who should i ring:confused::confused::confused:

accidents happen, rest in peace to the little lad.

Yes and the whole idea of H&S is preventing accidents or at least minimising the affects on all concerned should there be an accident.

Read back over the relevant posts in this thread about H&S and see if their is the same level of respect being paid. H&S officers being portrayed as just white hat gob****es with clipboards and turning 50 quid jobs in to 700 quid jobs for no other reason than their own self importance.

Suckler wrote: »
    Yes and the whole idea of H&S is preventing accidents or at least minimising the affects on all concerned should there be an accident.

Read back over the relevant posts in this thread about H&S and see if their is the same level of respect being paid. H&S officers being portrayed as just white hat gob****es with clipboards and turning 50 quid jobs in to 700 quid jobs for no other reason than their own self importance.
    seriously a child is dead, we do not know the circumstances

seriously a child is dead, we do not know the circumstances

A child is dead in a farm related accident and there were idiotic comments on this thread about H&S being made and you can't see the whats wrong in that :confused:
    seriously a child is dead

That's exactly why I am being quite serious about this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

[MOD]

Please remember that this child's family could well be members here and it is more appropriate to show some respect by not commenting on this for the moment.

[/MOD]

On a different note. How do u stop all the boards.ie email notification coming into the email account. Full of notifications. Where is the setting to stop them.

On a different note. How do u stop all the boards.ie email notification coming into the email account. Full of notifications. Where is the setting to stop them.
    under this post it says unfollow , click on that. (i think)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭td5man

under this post it says unfollow , click on that. (i think)

no im following threads but dont get notifications

Go into the control panel and click on 'Edit Options'

Messaging & Notfications are second on the list & uncheck the boxes.

Whoops, sorry, it's the box you click down on. Change it to 'No email Noticication'

• Advertisement

Oldtree wrote: »
    [MOD]

Please remember that this child's family could well be members here and it is more appropriate to show some respect by not commenting on this for the moment.

[/MOD]

Nobody was talking about the case in a derogatory manner or attempting to assign blame etc.

My point was the two faced belittling of H&S in the face of another tragic accident. Farming was and still is one of the most dangerous occupations yet read back over Farming chit chat 1-4 and see how seriously H&S is being taken and how many "Ï know a lad...." bullshyte stories are trotted out.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement