Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transport to Maynooth after Gareth Brooks Concert

Options
  • 11-02-2014 2:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭

Would any concert goer be able to tell me would I be able to get transport to Maynooth AFTER the Gareth Brooks concert. I am coming from Galway & intend leaving my car in Maynooth. I am not familiar with driving in the city. Do any of the companies put on late transport for those occasions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Which night are you going? The last train from Drumcondra (10 minute walk from Croke Park) is at 2321 so could be tight if the gig ends at 2300.

If it's later and on a Friday or Saturday night you could walk into town and get a nitelink to Maynooth (67n).

Though it is likely a lot more services will be put on between now and then.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

I would be very, very surprised if Irish Rail don't put on additional trains, or delay the departure of existing ones, to facilitate concert goers. They do it when big GAA games are on. Last year, they also delayed the departure of the last Limerick to Dublin train to cater to all the people at the Leinster/Munster game & there were a lot less people at that, then there will be at the GB concerts. I'm pretty sure that Bus Eireann and the private bus operators like Kavanaghs will be doing the same thing. Keep an eye on their websites.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

hillbloom wrote: »
    Would any concert goer be able to tell me would I be able to get transport to Maynooth AFTER the Gareth Brooks concert. I am coming from Galway & intend leaving my car in Maynooth. I am not familiar with driving in the city. Do any of the companies put on late transport for those occasions.

Leave your car in the red cow Carpark at m50 - N4 junction and get the Luas in

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

Bandara wrote: »
    Do you mean the M50-N7 junction? What time is the last luas at, could the OP catch the last Luas?
    Edit: just checked, the last Luas Mon-Sat is 12:30am so yes, that's a possibility.

Bandara wrote: »

The Red Cow Luas car park is at the N7 Limerick/Cork to Dublin road, not the N4 which is the Galway/Mayo to Dublin Road.

The Red Cow Luas stop only has 400 odd spaces, as does the Tallaght one. On concert days, they tend to fill up by mid morning. If the OP is coming from Galway, he'd have to get there pretty early to get a parking space and, there is no guarantee he'll get one when he gets there. Leaving the car in Maynooth, or getting the bus/train from Galway itself is a better idea imo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

The last concert I went to in the Aviva not only did Irish rail not put on extra services they actually curtailed service back to Maynooth. It took 2 and a half hours to get back. I thought a riot was going to break out at Connolly Station.

That was probably to facilitate all the Darts going to/from Landsdowne Rd to get people to/from the Aviva. Croke Park itself isn't on the Dart line, so it would be different.

The GAA are generally better at liasing with transport companies than who ever runs the Aviva and concert promoters are. They have massive crowds of 85,000 going to games in Croker Park every August and September, so they know what to do. They know that 240,000 people going to 5 concerts on 5 nights, is a much bigger deal than 30,000 odd going to the Aviva for one night. I know that they aren't running the show, the promoters are, but they'll deffo have a hand in the transport arrangements.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭RiverOfLove

As an alternative to driving, GoBus and Citylink from the Coach Station in Galway are brillant services with buses from Galway to Dublin and return. They also do late night buses.

Last bus home from Dublin would be 11.15pm or 12.15am, I think.

Do check them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭davyboy1975

Who is this gareth brooks? Is that a tribute act playing in the olympia :-P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭RiverOfLove

You're a bold boy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

He's like December the 8th, a big day out for the culchies !

;p

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,216 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

As an alternative to driving, GoBus and Citylink from the Coach Station in Galway are brillant services with buses from Galway to Dublin and return. They also do late night buses.

Last bus home from Dublin would be 11.15pm or 12.15am, I think.

Do check them out.

http://getthere.ie/carshare-14843
    is also a possibility from Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,734 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

This may be worth filling out:
    http://www.irishrail.ie/news/garth-brooks-customer-survey

Possibility of extra late intercity trains after the concerts - depends on demand.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭sawdoubters

sometimes after concerts they stop transport I would park closer than maynooth

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭hillbloom

Thanks for all the help. I forgot to say its the Monday concert. I checked the hotels nearby & the prices are increased for the events! We would be able to get the LUAS at 12.30am but that would more than likely be packed!! I will keep an eye on this thread & check the websites. We are able to stay with friends in Maynooth.

Yeah, there will be a lot of stuff announced getting closer to the date itself.

Perhaps the forum mods would consider pinning a GB sticky thread, to cover all things related to the Garthman's concerts... a one stop shop for questions about where to stay, how to get to Croke Park, where to park, how good/bad your tickets are, what the view will be like from your seat etc etc. Me thinks that there are going to be alorra lorra threads just like this one, between now and July.

Advertisement