Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Evolve - 4v1 from the makers of L4D (multi format)

Options
  • 11-02-2014 2:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭McSasquatch

So this could be gooood.

Turtle Rock and 2K games are working on Evolve, a 4v1 asymmetrical multiplayer co-op shooter (Turtle Rock Studios were the main peeps behind the first L4D). Except instead of zombies, there are hulking and powerful alien megafauna to be brought down. And yes, you can play as either the single creature or as one of the team of four human hunters. As RPS' preview informs, the devs say "each round is one long, rolling, unpredictable boss fight". It just so happens that the boss is controlled by a human player. Here's another hands-on preview (Eurogamer) which contains the below vid.

As you can see the visuals look pretty good, but this game will live or die by the balancing of the opposing sides - thankfully both previews claim that this aspect is shaping up pretty well so far. SP is included, but this is really crying out to be played with some buddies, especially the human team - the hunters have different classes, so each will have a different but equally important role.

I was a huge fan of the original L4D back in the day, and with the devs saying they've drawn influence from famous monster movies (the scene in Jackson's King Kong where the ape is captured on Skull island is mentioned as one source of inspiration), this is definitely one to watch.

In fact I'm gonna go so far as to say that THIS is the futuristic sci-fi co-op shooter with jetpacks that I'm most looking forward to.

Yeah, it has jetpacks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭jones

Looks awesome i'm going to keep an eye out for this!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭McSasquatch

Better video here - same footage more or less but the journo describes/explains some of the game mechanics better than before. Must admit, very excited about this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

Can't wait for this, looks excellent!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Varik

I like asymmetric gameplay but it doesn't do all that well when it's competitive, most people just don't want to play as an individual on the weaker side. Not sure how this game will work in regards to reward but as soon as stats become an issue you have people just focused on themselves and accusation of unfair advantages and pay2win ( in some asymmetric f2p games).

Considering this has the lone player going from a disadvantage to being capable of wiping out the other side it might be fine, but people are self absorbed and self interested. Considering that you'll likely need teamwork to win as the hunters it's going to mean a lot of creature wins if it reaches the end stage.

A couple of new hands-on previews from the last few days;

At the end of one match, Evolve had me shaking. At the end of five, I was utterly convinced: developer Turtle Rock has managed to create another game that will have the same legacy as Left 4 Dead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

Sounds great, I played a ton of realism versus mode on left4dead 1 & 2 with my friends so it's looking like a must buy for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

looks good but I can't help but feel this 4vs1 all the time could get repetitive
    and I know for a fact that eventually either one or the other will be op

say the player who plays the monster is just terribly bad at the game, well then the 4 people attacking it are going to dominate him
    same vice versa what happens if 2 of your teammates are very bad and don't bother with team work , the monster player will destroy us

hope I am wrong but I'll wait a week or two til after its out , probably watch some streams before I make a decision

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

True but with 5 friends taking it in turns, it should be okay

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

I think this looks great. As a person who's never played L4D, I'm looking forward to it.

See a lot of rage about this game in the future, people not doing their job or blaming the others classes because they suck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Oh ya definitely but it's one of those games where you will need friends playing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

tok9 wrote: »
    Oh ya definitely but it's one of those games where you will need friends playing.

Very much so if my experiences with Left 4 Dead are anything to go by!!!!!!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

That looks excellent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Having been a huge fan of left 4 dead I am not surprised by what I have seen so far by the original creators on perhaps my favourite CO-OP game of all time.

calex71 wrote: »
    Very much so if my experiences with Left 4 Dead are anything to go by!!!!!!

Considering how important the classes are, and that each class can only be played by 1 player and from what the devs have said this is going to be MMO esque in that if the healer goes down the team is following shortly after.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,235 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

This. Looks. Class.

I'm assuming who controls the monster changes every round? It will probably suck if the monster is controlled by a terrible player (i.e. me).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

With a few friends it'll be great fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

As an old and cynical 33 year old that hasn't had his gaming excitement levels go past 'somewhat intrigued' for quite some time this looks flipping amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 paulnewman408

Seems like it could be a lot of fun with a group of friends

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Very encouraging video alright, nice to see a multiplayer game that focuses on long, tactical battles like that. Hadn't paid much heed to this before, but fingers crossed it will live up to its potential.

Kiith wrote: »
    I'm assuming who controls the monster changes every round? It will probably suck if the monster is controlled by a terrible player (i.e. me).

That's what I'm assuming too. And like yourself, I reckon I'll be terrible at controlling the monster - used to hate spawning as the Tank in L4D. SO MUCH PRESSURE!

Varik wrote: »
    Considering how important the classes are, and that each class can only be played by 1 player and from what the devs have said this is going to be MMO esque in that if the healer goes down the team is following shortly after.

I think that has potential to work really for this game and push team work, even the random players will not be long getting that they need to play as a team to win after a few failed games ....... won't they :confused:

I gave up in assuming pug's knew could pickup the basics of teamwork a long time ago.

From playing MMOs, if they's someone else that they can blame they will.

Then again this isn't an MMO and is competitive, the monster should be as likely to win as the 4 players. But from experience, the chance of the monster being played by a single good player is far more likely than 4 random people working together.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I can foresee the mountains of abuse from extremely angry and foulmouthed people about a player who makes a mistake or isn't up to scratch, kickvote ahoy.

Or, worse, that one asshole who tries to act like the commander and demands everyone follows his orders or else they're a faggòt noob and will essentially stop helping others. The joy of running L4D servers was I could get rid of those people quickly, no need for that crap in any of these types of coop games.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

calex71 wrote: »
    I think that has potential to work really for this game and push team work, even the random players will not be long getting that they need to play as a team to win after a few failed games ....... won't they :confused:

Have you not played L4D? You would be completely disabused of this notion by now.

This looks quite interesting, hopefully it'll live up to the potential.

Have you not played L4D? You would be completely disabused of this notion by now.

This looks quite interesting, hopefully it'll live up to the potential.

I have indeed , guess my subtle sarcasm was a little too subtle :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Yeti Beast

Really looking forward to this, but wish they'd show a little of some of the other beast classes. Supposedly there'll be a species that can fly, one that can burrow etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭Horsefumbler

Can't bloody wait for this. Been playing L4D2 for the last 3 years with friends online, first online FPS I've played since CS1.6 really and really like it. Got pretty good but not quite to the level of competitive play. Starting to get a little bored of it now and this is just the thing to move on to.

Conceptually it seems great. Basically they've took the best part of L4D, the tank fight, and made a game based on just that. My only concern about the game is that it might become unbalanced at higher levels of play in much the same way that L4D was. At low levels the game seemed pretty balanced if possibly tipped slightly towards the infected side but at higher levels the survivors could dominate and they only way to keep things remotely fair was to remove the higher tier weapons and some other tweaks. I can kind of see that happening with hunters in this game too once they get to know each map and get an idea of where the monster is going to go. They could possible hunt down the monster early before it could level up and end the round quickly. Maybe they could add some kind of 'pro mode' where the monster does more damage or something to combat this.

Should be good all the same. I'd say it's going to be a lot of fun playing as the monster even in the early hide-and-seek stages of the round. gonna be tenseasfcuk.
    Duggy747 wrote: »
    I can foresee the mountains of abuse from extremely angry and foulmouthed people about a player who makes a mistake or isn't up to scratch, kickvote ahoy.
    Easy solution: don't be sh*t ;)

Advertisement