Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ext tamper alarm fault

Options
  • 11-02-2014 4:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭

Hi All.
    Hope you can help.

My HKC alarm activated with a tamper alarm on the External Bell. It was during the recent storms.

I am able to switch of the the system but not clear the fault.

I have had a look at the external box, can't see anything wrong other than debris inside, I have cleaned this out now.

I was given a eng code but it does not seem to allow me into eng function.

LED'S etc on the external seem to be correct. I am able to inhibit by using ##.
    If I open the internal box do I need the eng code to reset something.

Many thanks,

Morg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

Hi Morg,
    When you entered that engineet code did 'Service Menu' or did 'Authorised By' pop up on the screen?
    If not then the code is incorrect.
    Basically the function of an eng code is to bypass all tampers and for all intensive purposes put the systems in sleep mode whilst been worked on.
    If the l.e.d.s are functioning as you mentioned can you please advise as to what way they work, ie are theu alternating or is one blinking more than the other?

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Morgan The Moon

Hi kub,
    The code I was given is four digit. When I enter it the panel just sits as if I requires something else, ie another digit etc.

The LEDS are alternating , and after I opened the external, the alarm sounded etc and LEDS settled as alternating.

Morg

Well the code is incorrect if it is not responding. If there is an internal tamper issue with those HKC bell boxes the l.e.d.s do not blink as per usual.
    I think you may have an issue between the bell box and panel, might be the cable, loose junction box cover in an attic or perhaps a cover issue with a internal siren.

Hi kub,
    O.K. I will check the cable and connections in the external, if I open the internal box ( after switching off the power ) without using the eng code, will I cause a problem other than the Alarm going off due to disturbing the internal tamper. I'm a bit short off cash at the moment so If I can sort it without calling the installers it would help me a lot.

Thanks Morg

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Opening the internal control panel will cause an internal alarm activation. This can be disarmed with your user code.

• Advertisement

Ok in that case so Morg lets cut to the chase. How old is your system?

Basically we will take direct action with this until you get a techy around. Can you go to your control panel and take the cover off it.
    This is where hopefully luck comes into it, have a look at the floor of the panel and see if there is any resistors there.
    If so pick up one, remove the cable that is currently in the 'tamp ret' terminal, replace it with one leg of the resistor. Then put the other leg of the resistor in with the cable that is in the 'bho' terminal. This is next to the 'tamp ret' terminal.

KoolKid wrote: »
    Opening the internal control panel will cause an internal alarm activation. This can be disarmed with your user code.

Hi KoolKid,
    I was'nt sure but you have reiterated what I thought. All things considered when I get to look in the panel it will probably be tomorrow now.

The install is four yrs old.

kub wrote: »
    Ok in that case so Morg lets cut to the chase. How old is your system?

Basically we will take direct action with this until you get a techy around. Can you go to your control panel and take the cover off it.
    This is where hopefully luck comes into it, have a look at the floor of the panel and see if there is any resistors there.
    If so pick up one, remove the cable that is currently in the 'tamp ret' terminal, replace it with one leg of the resistor. Then put the other leg of the resistor in with the cable that is in the 'bho' terminal. This is next to the 'tamp ret' terminal.

Hi kub, The system is four yrs old. Luck is with me as well the installer left a couple of resistors in the books etc. I will try it out tomorrow and post back how I get on. Thanks,

Morg

Hi kub, The system is four yrs old. Luck is with me as well the installer left a couple of resistors in the books etc. I will try it out tomorrow and post back how I get on. Thanks,

Morg

Problem sorted ! Faulty resistor in the SABB.

Thanks again kub and Kool Kid, your help give me the confidence to sort it myself. Hopefully the resistor fault is not the result of a underlying problem. What do you think ?

Morg.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

its unlikely to be anything else. hopefully that brings you some peace.

• Advertisement

Koolkid is correct, this resistor fault could be as a result of the original installer carrying the resistor in his mouth while climbing the ladder all those years ago.

kub wrote: »
    Koolkid is correct, this resistor fault could be as a result of the original installer carrying the resistor in his mouth while climbing the ladder all those years ago.

What ? No Pockets?
    Or better still why wouldn't you screw it into the terminal before you set off?:confused:

What ? No Pockets?
    Or better still why wouldn't you screw it into the terminal before you set off?:confused:

I didn't say me, did I? I remember in the old days when we had to screw the bell to the base and drill the strobe onto the top of the cover, then trying to get the sticker on straight without air bubbles.
    Of course after all that you couldn't really give out to a chap who had forgotten to bring a little resistor into the equation.

Your giving away your age Kub.:P

Your giving away your age Kub.:P

Indeed, but as they say wisdom comes with it, still waiting on that though.

Advertisement