Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canada IEC 2014 - travelling alone (35 f)

Options
  • 11-02-2014 4:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭

Hi. I have decided to apply for the 2014 IEC (been waiting for it to open since early December!).

I will be traveling alone as most of my friends are settled here.

I am 35 & single and would like to go to Toronto, so I was just wondering if there is anyone else single mid 30's applying this year or did anyone do it last year and are doing well? I am excited but very nervous. :o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

ckgirl wrote: »
    Hi. I have decided to apply for the 2014 IEC (been waiting for it to open since early December!).

I am 35 & single and would like to go to Toronto, so I was just wondering if there is anyone else single mid 30's applying this year or did anyone do it last year and are doing well? I am excited but very nervous. :o

Hi ckgirl!

Welcome to boards, there is a thread on this already: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057090306
    Jump in! We are ALL nervous & frantically mashing refresh on the VISA release page. :pac: Share the stress with us! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭ckgirl

Thanks GrumPY.

I will definitely take a look at that thread. Hope there are some other 30 something females going alone.

I can't wait for the visas to be released.....then the planning and fun of getting somewhere to stay begins.

Chat soon

• Registered Users Posts: 28 iec2014

Thanks GrumPY.

I will definitely take a look at that thread. Hope there are some other 30 something females going alone.

I can't wait for the visas to be released.....then the planning and fun of getting somewhere to stay begins.

Chat soon
    Hi ckgirl

I am in the same boat as you, If you want to keep in touch I am happy to do so, I am also planning my trip alone....my friends are settled but I have travelled alone before( USA) and it was awesome, but it would be nice to have someone in Toronto.
    :D
    I am currently trying to get a reasonably priced flight to Toronto from the UK in May
    When were you hoping to fly out?
    I can't PM you because it is restricting me until I post some more :)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I'm 32 and going it alone, don't know anyone in Toronto, be grand, plenty of people over there to make friends with.

Hey iec2014

Still no sign of the IEC opening for Ireland so I haven't made any concrete plans yet. I'd say though at this point it may be June/July at the earliest. Once I get a place (fingers, toes and everything crossed), I can book flights and confirm etc.

It would be nice to know some others heading over. Although I am a confident person usually it is still a huge deal for me making the move.

I can see from reading the threads that there are many others in the same boat & I know that when I get over there it will be fine but I guess I just want the comfort of knowing someone else!

Chat again soon

• Advertisement

Hey krudler,

Great to see some others in their 30's heading over!! :)

I know it will be grand...its just the first few weeks trying to settle in that I'm worried about!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Hey krudler,

Great to see some others in their 30's heading over!! :)

I know it will be grand...its just the first few weeks trying to settle in that I'm worried about!

The only thing I'm iffy about is finding someplace nice that isn't crazy expensive to live, dont want to spend half my day commuting either though

krudler wrote: »
    The only thing I'm iffy about is finding someplace nice that isn't crazy expensive to live, dont want to spend half my day commuting either though

Yeah exactly.....it will be hard to find a nice place .....not too expensive, not too far, not dodgy, not boring! - Am I being too picky?? :D

Hey iec2014

Still no sign of the IEC opening for Ireland so I haven't made any concrete plans yet. I'd say though at this point it may be June/July at the earliest. Once I get a place (fingers, toes and everything crossed), I can book flights and confirm etc.

It would be nice to know some others heading over. Although I am a confident person usually it is still a huge deal for me making the move.

I can see from reading the threads that there are many others in the same boat & I know that when I get over there it will be fine but I guess I just want the comfort of knowing someone else!

Chat again soon

Hey

I know what you mean, and I am also confident and happy to travel alone but it is always a comfort to know someone, or at least know that there are people in the same boat as you.

My permit needs activating so I'm heading over in May/June, I happened to stumble across these boards because you had started a post that I would have made myself.
    I hope we can stay in touch you can never have enough contacts...not only that but I can give you information because I will already be over there, fingers crossed you hear something soon.

Thanks for the reply

Yeah exactly.....it will be hard to find a nice place .....not too expensive, not too far, not dodgy, not boring! - Am I being too picky?? :D

Well if you are being picky then so am I haha
    Nothing wrong with that at all :D

• Advertisement

Hey iec2014.

Are you in Canada at the mo or in the UK? Have you done the IEC before?

Hey iec2014.

Are you in Canada at the mo or in the UK? Have you done the IEC before?

Hi

I am currently in the UK and I have not don't the IEC before.

I've travelled in the USA on my own, but not lived/worked in another country for this length of time.

iec2014 wrote: »
    Hi

I am currently in the UK and I have not don't the IEC before.

I've travelled in the USA on my own, but not lived/worked in another country for this length of time.

Hey iec 2014

I was just wondering cos I read your post (below) in "Renewing Visa for 2 year IEC" thread and was a bit confused!!?! :confused:

iec2014
    blue_star_1.gif

Adverts | Friends

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kitchenchairviewpost.gif
    Hi Rusheen,

Yes you can activate your new 2nd visa before your current 1st one expires. I did, as did many other people I know.

Hi kitchenchair

I am in the same boat as Rusheen was in regards to my work permit dates overlapping, I would have to activate my 2nd permit before my 1st one expires, it would mean that I lose approx 5weeks, but I really don't mind. I'm ok with losing 5 weeks if it means that I get almost a 2nd year in Canada.

I am worried that I won't be let back into Canada because on the IEC website it states that a new permit will not be issued until the old one expires.
    I was hoping that you could confirm what actually happens when you activate your new permit?
    Do they stamp your passport with anything in relation to expiry/activation dates?
    I would be extremely grateful if you could let me know, as I have spent the past 6 weeks trying to find out, and have yet to find a definite answer.

Thanks in advance smile.png

Hey iec 2014

I was just wondering cos I read your post (below) in "Renewing Visa for 2 year IEC" thread and was a bit confused!!?! :confused:

Oh this is because I was unable to go last year so I will be activating the visa/permit this year instead.

I'm going to Canada this year with the IEC that I obtained last year...hope this makes sense now :D

Oh this is because I was unable to go last year so I will be activating the visa/permit this year instead.

I'm going to Canada this year with the IEC that I obtained last year...hope this makes sense now :D

Ah yes...that makes sense....

I was secretly hoping that you had been there (but maybe in different place to Toronto) and could give advice!

Still no Irish IEC release date...so frustrating as can't make any plans really.

Ah yes...that makes sense....

I was secretly hoping that you had been there (but maybe in different place to Toronto) and could give advice!

Still no Irish IEC release date...so frustrating as can't make any plans really.

Sorry hun!

I did comment previously because I am going in June and you was hoping to go later in the year, so I figured I would be able to answer your questions once I've settled, but other than that I am going there solo with an open mind haha!

It must be frustrating not knowing when to plan, fingers crossed it won't be long now :)

I have had my heart set on Toronto!
    Where were you thinking of going?

Sorry hun!

I did comment previously because I am going in June and you was hoping to go later in the year, so I figured I would be able to answer your questions once I've settled, but other than that I am going there solo with an open mind haha!

It must be frustrating not knowing when to plan, fingers crossed it won't be long now :)

I have had my heart set on Toronto!
    Where were you thinking of going?

I would like to go to Toronto too. I think a big city would be best esp as going solo.
    I like travelling so would like to explore Canada a bit though once settled.

Have you booked your flight? Have you decided on where you'll bunk for first little while?

I'm saving frantically at the moment and can't wait....:)

I would like to go to Toronto too. I think a big city would be best esp as going solo.
    I like travelling so would like to explore Canada a bit though once settled.

Have you booked your flight? Have you decided on where you'll bunk for first little while?

I'm saving frantically at the moment and can't wait....:)

We have the same expectations me thinks ;)
    I have booked my flight...I leave the first week of June, I am really excited and also saving frantically.

As for where to stay...
    A few really helpful individuals have given me some links to Hostels and also advised that I look into couch surfing?!
    So the next 2 weeks I would like to have that sorted too.

My plan is to initially book into a hostel for a couple of weeks, job hunt, find some amazing people and hopefully live in a shared house which is within close proximity to public transport and work, but not too expensive haha!

Sound like a plan?

We have the same expectations me thinks ;)
    I have booked my flight...I leave the first week of June, I am really excited and also saving frantically.

As for where to stay...
    A few really helpful individuals have given me some links to Hostels and also advised that I look into couch surfing?!
    So the next 2 weeks I would like to have that sorted too.

My plan is to initially book into a hostel for a couple of weeks, job hunt, find some amazing people and hopefully live in a shared house which is within close proximity to public transport and work, but not too expensive haha!

Sound like a plan?

Sounds like a great plan....not sure about the couch surfing though ;)

Sounds like a great plan....not sure about the couch surfing though ;)

Haha! I know right!

Not sure my self but I will look into it never the less!
    I have got 3 months the sort things out :)

Has the quota opened yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 dayo79

Hi ya,

Im 34 and will also be applying and travelling alone. Don't know anyone over there but from all the research I don't think it will be too hard to settle in and find my bearings. Best of luck with you app and travel.

dayo79 wrote: »
    Hi ya,

Im 34 and will also be applying and travelling alone. Don't know anyone over there but from all the research I don't think it will be too hard to settle in and find my bearings. Best of luck with you app and travel.

Hey dayo. Getting so exited now...cant wait till Thursday.

I agree I don't think it will be hard to settle...it's just diving into the unknown that freaks me out a bit!!

Good luck with your app too

Hi ya, Im sure you know but just in case. You can set up your Kompass acc from 8.00pm tonight. Its very straight forward and once you have it set up you can being answering the questions for the first stage of the application. You wont be able to actually submit the app until the 13th but you can get the majority of the first stage completed before Thursday.

Hi ya, Im sure you know but just in case. You can set up your Kompass acc from 8.00pm tonight. Its very straight forward and once you have it set up you can being answering the questions for the first stage of the application. You wont be able to actually submit the app until the 13th but you can get the majority of the first stage completed before Thursday.

Thanks dayo... Yeah I knew...been following the main IEC thread and was mentioned there. I have it finished and am ready to submit now....presume u did too.

Btw where in Canada u thinking of heading to? I am thinking of Toronto...but Vancouver is attracting me cos of the less harsh winters....will decide for sure if / when I get visa.

I thought Toronto had the mildest winters... there ya go. Ill be heading to Toronto to start in anyway and see how I get on there. When are you planning to head out if all goes to plan with the application etc etc ?

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Flutterby33

Hiya, another here heading out alone (if I get a visa!) planning on going to Toronto too.
    We should have an IEC meetup over there! :)

Was thinking of heading out around July/August. At a guess the earliest the applications will be processed & finalised is end of May. When I know for sure that I have visa, I can do the serious planning......flights, accommodation etc. I have to give notice in work as well so that why I think it will be July at earliest.

What about you?

Hiya, another here heading out alone (if I get a visa!) planning on going to Toronto too.
    We should have an IEC meetup over there! :)

I would be up for that. :)

Hi guys, Id be planning to head quite soon after I/if get the visa. Ive to give notice in work too. It says that app process will take about 60 days from start to finish so Id be hoping to head out sometime in May. Yeah I'd be up for meeting up over there or even arranging a meet up before heading out if possible. I don't know whether you guys are from Dublin or not so might not be possible. It'd be nice to have another point of contact or recognisable face over there.

• Advertisement

Hi guys, Id be planning to head quite soon after I/if get the visa. Ive to give notice in work too. It says that app process will take about 60 days from start to finish so Id be hoping to head out sometime in May. Yeah I'd be up for meeting up over there or even arranging a meet up before heading out if possible. I don't know whether you guys are from Dublin or not so might not be possible. It'd be nice to have another point of contact or recognisable face over there.

I would love to go earlier myself but realistically I'd say July is definitely the earliest. You'll be an expert on the area and all the hot spots by time I get out there if you're heading in May.

Dublin would be no hassle for me for a meet up. Will PM you after we are successful with our applications! :D

Advertisement