Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canada IEC 2014 - travelling alone (35 f)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭ciaran12

Plenty of us heading over alone guys - we'll probably be running into each other soon enough! :P

Check out couchsurfing.org if you want to arrange to meet others in the area after you land. Even if you're not using it for hosting/surfing there are discussion groups where people are always arranging meetups. Great way to meet a mix of other travellers and locals at the same time. I know I'm planning on attending a meetup in Calgary on the 5th of May already (heading over next week), and there quite a few others happening too

And of course meetups.com for more activity specific stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Amre

ckgirl wrote: »
    Hi. I have decided to apply for the 2014 IEC (been waiting for it to open since early December!).

I will be traveling alone as most of my friends are settled here.

I am 35 & single and would like to go to Toronto, so I was just wondering if there is anyone else single mid 30's applying this year or did anyone do it last year and are doing well? I am excited but very nervous. :o

Hey CKGIRL

Im 34 and have been provisionally offered a visa, just getting all my bits together thats required. Im the same as you, I know absolutley no one and am very nervous, always wanted to go and have no one here that will (settled etc). I applied last year but pulled out so feel like this is my last chance!

• Registered Users Posts: 21 dayo79

Hi all,

Have any of you guys received an update on your visa. I submitted all docs required 2 weeks ago and have not heard anything back. The app status is still at "open". Just wondering as two of my cousins also applied and they got full approval 48 hrs after submitting all docs

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭mossy14

dayo79 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Have any of you guys received an update on your visa. I submitted all docs required 2 weeks ago and have not heard anything back. The app status is still at "open". Just wondering as two of my cousins also applied and they got full approval 48 hrs after submitting all docs

i am the same as you.. waiting about 2 weeks now.. checking in on the cic site daily and still no update. just a matter of waiting it out i guess no point worrying to much.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Amre

Hi all,

Hey,

Ive heard the same about some peoples approval being offered in 48hr. I havent submitted all my documents yet as im waiting on police checks Ive a few to get sorted and also need a medical so its delaying mine. Saw your thread back on orgainising a meet up for people on here heading over, think thats a great idea so we can get some contacts im heading over on my own possibly august depending on when im approved, work notice etc. Not sure where to settle but it sounds Toronto is the place by the look of things on here!

• Advertisement

Yeah I just thought it would be nice for people who are heading over on their own to have some sort of contact when they arrive even if it is only a contact no. I'm still planning on heading out sometime in June but I guess its going to depend on when/if I get the full approval.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

booked the flight, going May 21st eeeek. Gotta find insurance now, and a hotel, wanna relax for the first few days and not be stressed out looking for places to stay until I've at least seen a bit of the city and got a bank account.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 leechris007

Anyone in or going to Regina?

Hi Krudler.... Well done and best of luck when you get over. If you don't mind me asking ... how long did you have to wait between submitting all documentation and then getting fully approved. I submitted everything they ask for 3 weeks ago today and I still have heard nothing back. Quite anxious to get the ball rolling now but cant do anything until I find out for definite that I've been approved.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 solotravel

Hi everyone,

Glad to see im not the only one travelling alone. Just wondering when everyone is travelling. Im hoping to go in June or July.

• Advertisement

Hi Solotravel... just got full approval last week so will need to give notice in work. I reckon Ill be heading out in July.

Hi dayo79, Congrats on getting full approval. Im still waiting have all my documents submitted so at a standstill until I get the go ahead. Not too sure yet where to head to, I was thinking of Vancouver but it seems to be the majority are heading to Toronto..

ckgirl wrote: »
    Hi. I have decided to apply for the 2014 IEC (been waiting for it to open since early December!).

I will be traveling alone as most of my friends are settled here.

I am 35 & single and would like to go to Toronto, so I was just wondering if there is anyone else single mid 30's applying this year or did anyone do it last year and are doing well? I am excited but very nervous. :o

Hi CKgirl,

I am in the same situation as yourself, my friends dont want to travel so I have decided to go alone... When are you going?

Its more than likely Toronto for me I'd say. I just seem to get a better vibe from that city plus there are a lot of organisations in my field that are based in the city. I've applied to more a few places for positions but have not heard any response to-date. I reckon I'd have more of chance of landing an interview once I'm based there. So it looks like I have to take the plunge and go for it. Little daunting and risky as I'm giving up a good position here that I wont get back once I leave but I just know ill look back in 10 years regret not giving it a go and by then it will really be too late as its last chance saloon for me as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭dealhunter1985

Its more than likely Toronto for me I'd say. I just seem to get a better vibe from that city plus there are a lot of organisations in my field that are based in the city. I've applied to more a few places for positions but have not heard any response to-date. I reckon I'd have more of chance of landing an interview once I'm based there. So it looks like I have to take the plunge and go for it. Little daunting and risky as I'm giving up a good position here that I wont get back once I leave but I just know ill look back in 10 years regret not giving it a go and by then it will really be too late as its last chance saloon for me as it is.

Do you know anyone here who can check out what the job situation is like in your specific field? I gave up a good job back at home to come here and a year later, I'm working for much less money in a hugely less challenging role. If I could do it all again , I would have researched the job market a lot more before packing in my good job and coming here.
    Would you be content taking a much lower level position with a chunky wage cut just to gain the Canadian experience? That's what people got to ask themselves..

Hi ya dealhunter1985

I wouldn't mind taking a pay cut or a position lower than what I have at the moment but I would like to continue my career in the same industry just so it adds to the C.V/Resume and will be more beneficial in regaining employment within that industry should I return home in a year or two. I suppose whatever position I get I don't want to be struggling every month and have no expendable income after food rent and bills. The whole point is to gain experience working abroad but I do want to enjoy myself at the end of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭dealhunter1985

Hi ya dealhunter1985

I wouldn't mind taking a pay cut or a position lower than what I have at the moment but I would like to continue my career in the same industry just so it adds to the C.V/Resume and will be more beneficial in regaining employment within that industry should I return home in a year or two. I suppose whatever position I get I don't want to be struggling every month and have no expendable income after food rent and bills. The whole point is to gain experience working abroad but I do want to enjoy myself at the end of the day.

I see. Sounds like a good plan. If you haven't done so already, I would suggest speaking to someone in the industry on the ground to get a feel for what sort of jobs are going, the demand for the jobs and what they are paying...
    Not sure if the job agencies would be willing to help unless they can make some money out of you!
    But you could always try the 'Irish & New in Toronto' thread on facebook.
    Surely there you could find someone from the industry. There's alot of activity on the page.

Thanks I'll take a look

It is a bit daunting alright going without a job lined up, there are alot of us looking for work!! Saying that I was at one of the recent expo's and several exhibitors said there would be no problem getting work. I do agree it would probably be easier actually being over there. I wonder has anyone got hired in their chosen field before arriving there?

Yup its sure is and double the battle going it alone as well (rent, bills etc)

• Advertisement

Got my full approval today, delighted. Now for the planning to sort everything out. Is anyone planning a meet up before going??

Congrats on getting full approval... Yeah I'd be interested in meeting up before heading out alright. It's be nice to at least have a contact number of a familiar face when you arrive.

That is true. Must check out accommodation, im not too keen on landing with no base for the first few nights. I dont think any of us will be alone though, there seems to be someone flying out everyday.. It will be almost like a group flight!!

solotravel wrote: »
    That is true. Must check out accommodation, im not too keen on landing with no base for the first few nights. I dont think any of us will be alone though, there seems to be someone flying out everyday.. It will be almost like a group flight!!

I got to Toronto yesterday, solo as well, just staying in a hotel for a few nights to get used to the place, do some exploring etc this is the mini holiday part too. Getting through immigration was simple, queued for about 20 mins and it took less than 5 to get the work permit, they print you a cert and staple it to one of the pages of your passport, leave it attached to it.

Didnt do much aside from eat and relax after travelling last night gonna hit an Irish bar later and see if I can find anyone in the same boat looking for a room share or something and keep an eye on craigslist.

Hi Kruder ... Well done mate. Enjoy. Will probably bump into each other in the near future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 clieng

krudler wrote: »
    I got to Toronto yesterday, solo as well, just staying in a hotel for a few nights to get used to the place, do some exploring etc this is the mini holiday part too. Getting through immigration was simple, queued for about 20 mins and it took less than 5 to get the work permit, they print you a cert and staple it to one of the pages of your passport, leave it attached to it.

Didnt do much aside from eat and relax after travelling last night gonna hit an Irish bar later and see if I can find anyone in the same boat looking for a room share or something and keep an eye on craigslist.

krudler, can I ask you what document you needed to provide at immigration? I'm going solo to Edmonton on Wednesday and beginning to panic!

Not sure why I didn't join one of these threads sooner, life would of been a bit easier, Thanks in advance :)

clieng wrote: »
    krudler, can I ask you what document you needed to provide at immigration? I'm going solo to Edmonton on Wednesday and beginning to panic!

Not sure why I didn't join one of these threads sooner, life would of been a bit easier, Thanks in advance :)

your POE letter showing what date you have until to enter canada

Here a week now and sorted an apartment after much hunting, finding housing solo here was harder than I thought. If you go through a rental agency they wany references and credit checks and leases and all that pesky nonsense, better off looking for a house/apartment share or sublet on craigslist or kajiji, there's a few facebook pages for people new in the country to look for roommates too.

krudler wrote: »
    Here a week now and sorted an apartment after much hunting, finding housing solo here was harder than I thought. If you go through a rental agency they wany references and credit checks and leases and all that pesky nonsense, better off looking for a house/apartment share or sublet on craigslist or kajiji, there's a few facebook pages for people new in the country to look for roommates too.

Hi Krudler,

Well done getting your accommodation sorted. Are you staying in the city or will you be commuting?

• Advertisement

solotravel wrote: »
    Hi Krudler,

Well done getting your accommodation sorted. Are you staying in the city or will you be commuting?

In the city, right downtown, less than 10 mins stroll from the Eaton Centre. I'm one subway stop and maybe 2 streets away from it but I just walk. The streets are always bustling and I honestly feel safer walking around here no matter what the hour than I would walking around back in Limerick. There's tons of 24hr fast food places and shops and there's always people on the streets here, plenty of cops around too so it never feels dodgy.

I took a wander up Bloor St yesterday, that's where all the expensive stuff is, you've got shops like Rolex, Chanel, Louis Vuitton etc all beside each other, and saw a few ferraris driving around. Felt like a peasant :pac:

Advertisement