Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying house with sitting tenants

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

the_syco wrote: »
    Chances are it won't get sold. If this happens, perhaps approach the owner, and offer X amount and you make the vacant possession a condition of the sale. I'm thinking that the owner couldn't get rid of the tenants, and thus the property is now for auction.
    I don't particularly make sense of this comment the_syco. If the owner had trouble getting rid of the tenants and thus decided to go to auction how would it be the case that the owner then could all of a sudden get rid of the tenants after it fails to sell at auction. While I see the angle you are approaching from why encourage somebody to waste their time, energy and potentially money (surveys, contracting solicitors etc.) if you believe there is trouble getting the tenants out.
    Chances are that the bank has forced the owner to sell, and the owners selling with the tenant still there. If the owner didn't sell, the owner will have to continue to pay the mortgage. Offering the owner X amount on vacant possession may encourage him to get rid of the clients.

Oh, and you're quoting something I said three years ago.
    goat2 wrote: »
    If I buy a house with a five yr sitting agreement which is coming to an end in a few months, and I have just bought this as my home and principal residence
    If the lease was coming to end "in a few months", why not sell then? Why would the tenant leave? Have they even been paying rent? It may take you a year to evict them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Goat2, getting a tenant out will be a test of resolve, patience and finances. Particularly one who has been there for 5 years and may have kids in school/made friends in the area.

Theoretically you would be able to give notice that you intend to live there, in reality they can ignore the notice and literally stop paying rent. You may then have to go to RTB and even court to get an eviction. If the owner wants to sell, tell him/her that you will only buy with vacant possession, you can be sure that every other buyer is insisting on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

Chances are that the bank has forced the owner to sell, and the owners selling with the tenant still there. If the owner didn't sell, the owner will have to continue to pay the mortgage. Offering the owner X amount on vacant possession may encourage him to get rid of the clients.

Okay so your approaching it from the point of view that if the OP were to approach the owner after the auction that owner may level with the OP and tell them the bank forced them to go to auction, not wasting anymore of their time?... assuming you do mean clients there as opposed to tenants?
    Oh, and you're quoting something I said three years ago.

I know. I made the comment from the point of view of anybody reading the thread who currently found themselves in a similar situation....

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Okay so your approaching it from the point of view that if the OP were to approach the owner after the auction that owner may level with the OP and tell them the bank forced them to go to auction, not wasting anymore of their time?... assuming you do mean clients there as opposed to tenants?
    The owner may not care much about the house. Giving them an answer to their financial troubles may incentive the LL to get evict/bribe the tenants to leave.

Advertisement