Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacing gas hob with induction hob

Options
  • 11-02-2014 4:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭

How big a job would it be to replace a gas hob with an induction hob, and roughly what should it cost?
    Does the induction hob need special wiring, or will it work from an ordinary socket?
    Thanks in advance for help and advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭tomdempsey200

you'll have to get the KW rating first

it'll prob need a 6 or a 10sq depending on what else is connected ..double oven etc.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

How big a job would it be to replace a gas hob with an induction hob, and roughly what should it cost?

That depends on many factors:
    Lenght of run
    Space in distribution board
    Ease of routing cable
    Size of load
    ect....

Does the induction hob need special wiring, or will it work from an ordinary socket?

In general induction hobs awould be considered a large electrical load (>8kW). Loads this size can not be fed from a socket circuit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

2011 wrote: »
    That depends on many factors:
    Lenght of run
    Space in distribution board
    Ease of routing cable
    Size of load
    ect....

In general induction hobs awould be considered a large electrical load (>8kW). Loads this size can not be fed from a socket circuit.

Thanks. Hm, so it would be difficult to look for online quotes. Must find a good local electrician…

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Thanks. Hm, so it would be difficult to look for online quotes. Must find a good local electrician…
    +1
    Most domestic electrical contractors will provide you with a free quotation.

+1
    Most domestic electrical contractors will provide you with a free quotation.

I know. I just hate to ask three people to come out and quote when two aren't going to get the work.

• Advertisement

have your appliance ratings ready when they call so there's no confusion

if it's just the induction hob then you can get that from the model number

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭sawdoubters

ld stick with gas

ld stick with gas
    ya me too

gas is better

You don't see any chefs on TV using electric..

ld stick with gas

A couple of factors make me want to change:
    • There's a tiny leak (not dangerous but notifiable) in the gas hob
    • However, that hob takes its feed from the left; I can't find a good, reasonably-priced hob of the same size that also connects from the left, and there isn't room on the right, because the dishwasher there comes right up to the top of the space
    • Gas is increasingly expensive
    • Gas cooking coats everything with a greasy film
    • Induction hobs are very fast, responsive and hot, unlike the old electric hobs with iron plates
    • They're much easier to clean than the crevice-filled gas hobs

I've thought about this quite a bit, and really would prefer to change, all things being equal.

There's a tiny leak (not dangerous but notifiable) in the gas hob

You could replace the hob.
    However, that hob takes its feed from the left; I can't find a good, reasonably-priced hob of the same size that also connects from the left, and there isn't room on the right, because the dishwasher there comes right up to the top of the space.

You could get the gas connection moved.
    Gas is increasingly expensive

Yes, but using a gas hob is cheaper than using a electric hob.
    Remeber much of the electricty you pay for is generated by burning gas.
    Induction hobs are very fast, responsive and hot, unlike the old electric hobs with iron plates

They are, but I would have thought that this applied more so to gas.
    The main advantage of induction hobs is for a more uniform heating from the pan. Rather than generating heat on the surface which pans are placed onto, these hobs generate heat within the pans themselves. By doing this, the pots become the cooking surfaces and in theory work much more effectively.
    They're much easier to clean than the crevice-filled gas hobs

Agreed.
    I've thought about this quite a bit, and really would prefer to change, all things being equal.

What you want is the most important thing. But when making your decision you should be aware of all of the facts.

Also be aware that only pans made of a ferrus metal can be used.
    This technology generates eddy currents within the pots to generate heat. Eddy currents can not be generated within non ferrus metals (so any material that a magnet will stick to).

Therefore pots or pans made of the following materials cannot be used:

Aluminium
    Stainless Steel
    Copper
    Terracotta
    Pyrex

This may add to the cost :eek:

See link:
    http://www.smeg.com.au/how-can-i-tell-if-i-can-use-my-current-pans-on-induction/

Happy cooking :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,543 ✭✭✭✭ted1

• However, that hob takes its feed from the left; I can't find a good, reasonably-priced hob of the same size that also connects from the left, and there isn't room on the right, because the dishwasher there comes right up to the top of the space
    • Induction hobs are very fast, responsive and hot, unlike the old electric hobs with iron plates

a Kwh of Gas costs less than 6c. a kWh of electricity costs about 18c

so gas is three time cheaper then electricity

ted1 wrote: »
    a Kw of Gas costs less than 6c. a kW of electricity costs about 18c

so gas is three time cheaper then electricity

really ?

really ?

I just cehcked mine:
    I pay 5.5c per unit for my gas and 15.91c per unit of electricity (Airtricity).

That I why I use gas to heat my water and not the immersion.

You'd have to be mad to use an electric hob if gas is really 1/3 the price!

considering gas is also a better method of cooking on the hob

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭josip

When you factor in the amount of heat energy transferred to the pot, gas is not 3 times cheaper to cook with on a hob.

With an induction hob 84% of the energy is transferred.
    The most quoted figure for gas is 40%.

For me there is no discernible difference in the responsiveness of an induction hob compared to a gas hob. We've had both at various stages.

Do gas hobs have timer controls?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

I just cehcked mine:
    I pay 5.5c per unit for my gas and 15.91c per unit of electricity (Airtricity).

That I why I use gas to heat my water and not the immersion.

The water heaters have a large and a small element. So with electricty you have the choice of only heating the top half of the tank. With gas you haven't got that option and must heat the whole tank.

josip wrote: »
    When you factor in the amount of heat energy transferred to the pot, gas is not 3 times cheaper to cook with on a hob.

You are confusing effiency with cost per unit.
    For me there is no discernible difference in the responsiveness of an induction hob compared to a gas hob. We've had both at various stages.

You may be correct.
    I am not trying to argue that gas hobs are better than induction hobs (my own hob is electric).
    My aim is to inform the OP of the facts so that an informed decision can be made.

However if you think that cooking with an induction hob is going to cost less than a gas hob you are very much mistaken.

The water heaters have a large and a small element. So with electricty you have the choice of only heating the top half of the tank. With gas you haven't got that option and must heat the whole tank.

That depends on the type of gas boiler and haeting system used.
    Some boilers heat the water as it is used so the heating system does not have the traditional large hot water tank in the hotpress. Once a hot tap is turned on the boiler fires up and immediatley heats the water as required. When the hot taps are turned off the boiler switches off.
    Very efficient, certainly far cheaper than heating water electricaly.

http://www.worcester-bosch.ie/homeowner/boilers/what-is-a-combi-boiler

You are confusing effiency with cost per unit.
    An induction hob may have a smaller heat loss if expressed as a percentage, but even if the haet loss from a gas hob was three times higher it would still be cheaper to cook by gas. Do the maths!

Please reread my post and show where did I say that gas wasn't cheaper?
    I didn't calculate an exact number because of the varying prices per unit and because the stated efficiencies of gas/electricity are only average, commonly qupted figures. I thought it would be fairly obvious to everyone from the figures that an induction hob would be 40-50% more expensive, but not 300%.
    "Do the maths!"
    :(

josip wrote: »
    Please reread my post and show where did I say that gas wasn't cheaper?

Apoligies, I just read it agian.

Here is the maths:

Going with your figuers (which I am would wondering about) and Airtricty rates:
    For 10 units of output from a gas hob it will cost €1.38 (at 40% effiency) and from an induction hob it will cost €1.85 (at 86% effiency).

• Advertisement

Apoligies, I just read it agian.

Here is the maths:

Going with your figuers (which I am would wondering about) and Airtricty rates:
    For 10 units of output from a gas hob it will cost €1.38 (at 40% effiency) and from an induction hob it will cost €1.85 (at 86% effiency).

still a no - brainer in favour of gas if energy usage is the determining factor

Yes, and important to consider that induction hobs tend to be more expensive than gas hobs and the additaional cost of replacing non-ferrous pots with ferrous one.

Also, in winter time the gas energy that escapes the cooking process will be used towards space heating and so isn't really wasted.

For us, there were other reasons apart from energy usage, but that's for another thread.

I like the fact that the induction or electric hob is so easy to clean.

There is also the safety factor, remove the pot and the ring turns off and goes cold rapidly.

I won't have to replace pots if I do change - all my pots are iron or steel. Is there another kind?
    Thanks for the figures on cost. Hmm, interesting.
    I think what I'll do is get a couple of electricians in to quote on this, and think about whether to do it. I don't like to ask people to spend their time giving quotes when they may not get the job; however, the upside is that someone who did a really good job for a price that's fair to them and me would become "my" electrician for future jobs, and almost certainly get work from friends as well.

There is no such thing as a safe leak, I wouldn't allow a hob with a leak to be used in my house, if it's leaking I'd advise you not to use it.

gary71 wrote: »
    There is no such thing as a safe leak, I wouldn't allow a hob with a leak to be used in my house, if it's leaking I'd advise you not to use it.

That's why I want to replace it; however, the gas installers who found the leak said it was microscopic, and none of the regularly-checked gas alarms in the house has ever gone off.

I won't have to replace pots if I do change - all my pots are iron or steel. Is there another kind?

Yes, pots or pans made of the following materials cannot be used:

Aluminium
    Stainless Steel
    Copper
    Terracotta
    Pyrex

Simple test:
    If a magnet sticks to a pot it will work with an induction hob, if it does not stick, it won't work.

That's why I want to replace it; however, the gas installers who found the leak said it was microscopic

Sounds suspect to me.
    none of the regularly-checked gas alarms in the house has ever gone off.

Means nothing.
    Gas detectors provide the "last line of defence", you should not bet your life on them!

That is like someone saying "I knew that the circuit was safe because the fuse did not blow" :D

• Advertisement

That's why I want to replace it; however, the gas installers who found the leak said it was microscopic, and none of the regularly-checked gas alarms in the house has ever gone off.

A test is just a snap shot in time, if a hob is leaking it usually indicates a tap defect which gets worse as the tap is used.

Who ever allowed you to use the hob after a leak is identified doesn't have your best interests in mind.

a U guage never lies gas detectors do, I know of 4 ladies who were taken to hospital with carbon monoxide poisoning after detectors failed to pick it up.

Advertisement