Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacing gas hob with induction hob

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Also the gas may only leak when the pressure to do so is sufficient. e.g lots of people using the gas at 6pm making dinner, and the pressure might not be enough to cause your leak a big problem. Everyone is asleep at 2am and there might be enough pressure behind your leak to cause a problem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

They repeated the test several times at different times of day.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

But they found a leak during a test!

I would expect that if a gas hob is found to be leaking as a result of even one test that until would have to be repaired or replaced.

2011 wrote: »
    But they found a leak during a test!

I would expect that if a gas hob is found to be leaking as a result of even one test that until would have to be repaired or replaced.

So would I, and I immediately went off to buy a replacement hob, but I couldn't find any of the same measurements that fed from the centre or left!

The fitters, despite my worry, said it wasn't important, the leak was so tiny that it might come purely from the age of my current hob and the fact that grease has crept down into the innards of the knobs. They said it was notifiable, but absolutely not dangerous. But I definitely want to change it.

A appliance is not going to repair it's self, your leak is pertintully dangerious.

I judge things by "would I want in my house" and my work experience as a first responder to reported gas leaks and explosions.

I find the idea of leaving a appliance left connected after a leak is smelt and then found mind boggling:confused:, it takes as little as a 12 day course and up to recently no trade background to regerster and work as a RGI. RGI's who knowingly leaves a leak may not have experienced things that go bang in the night, if he's wrong who pays the price?

Also it's amazing how RGI's can change their opinion on a risk assessment after a good old fashioned KABOOM.

I'm in the "why take a risk" catogory of gas fitter.

• Advertisement

So would I, and I immediately went off to buy a replacement hob, but I couldn't find any of the same measurements that fed from the centre or left!

The fitters, despite my worry, said it wasn't important, the leak was so tiny that it might come purely from the age of my current hob and the fact that grease has crept down into the innards of the knobs. They said it was notifiable, but absolutely not dangerous. But I definitely want to change it.

He's wrong, no leak can be left if its being smelt.

Again, don't use it and if you can turn off the supply to it there's usually a isolation valve on the pipe feeding the hob.

If you search online first and find a appliance you like then try and source it locally, it's easyiers once you have model details.

gary71 wrote: »
    I find the idea of leaving a appliance left connected after a leak is smelt and then found
    <snip>

It wasn't smelt. No smelling involved. No smell of gas. This was a mandatory check of all gas appliances and pipes during replacement of the central heating boiler.

It wasn't smelt. No smelling involved. No smell of gas. This was a mandatory check of all gas appliances and pipes during replacement of the central heating boiler.

Forgive me I mistook the notifiable for noticeable:o.

A leaking hob usually is a symptom of a ageing gas tap which has the pertintual to get worse every time you open and close the gas tap which is why it should have been delt with once identified.

In the old days the tap would be re greased but we live in a throw away society so it's a new hob.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Dai John

My daughter bought an induction hob, and I was impressed, very fast. It has an ordinary 3 pin plug into a normal wall socket....works fine.

gary71 wrote: »
    Forgive me I mistook the notifiable for noticeable:o.

A leaking hob usually is a symptom of a ageing gas tap which has the pertintual to get worse every time you open and close the gas tap which is why it should have been delt with once identified.

In the old days the tap would be re greased but we live in a throw away society so it's a new hob.

If anyone can direct me to a hob that feeds from the left or centre, my problem is solved… The current hob is about 57cm wide by 48cm from back to front.
    I really would prefer to switch to an induction hob, but not if it's going to mean huge rewiring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭JOSman

Hi OP,

Did you change and if so, how are you finding the induction hob? Thinking of getting one myself.

Never did. Would've had to get an electrician to run a new circuit, so I didn't bother.

Advertisement