Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why can't eircom give a date for when they'll do something?

Options
  • 11-02-2014 5:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

I have been experiencing extreme congestion on my broadband service with eircom since the start of January. My line at off-peak times is fine, approximately 13.5 MB with good pings (it's up to 24 MB), but at peak times in the evenings from about 7:30 until 12:00 it drops to between 1.5 and 4 MB with poor pings to Europe and bad packet loss (it's supposed to be uncongested)

I wish to get the uncongested service that I used to get before January, that I pay for and that they advertise on their website.

I have since made numerous attempts to get further information on when they will fix this fault, it's been a month since the fault was lodged and eircom have still not fixed it (they have apparently identified it as a problem in my local exchange) but they can't give me even a rough time-scale for when the fault will be fixed. 

I'm sure that someone in eircom must know if/when this work will be carried out why can't the eircom employees that deal with the customer get this information? Do eircom think that this kind of vague is acceptable and that their customers should pay for this kind of service?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭BulliteShot

They are aware of the issue. Post your details here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057142479

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭MajorMax

There are over 80,000 faults pending since the start of the year due to the weather. Every available tech is out resolving these issues. There are vulnerable people without ANY service. These faults will take priority

Your first world problems will have to wait

Not to rub salt into their wounds, but if they rolled out REAL fibre already their infrastructure would be a lot more reliable and cheaper to maintain.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 MikeJK

MajorMax wrote: »
    There are over 80,000 faults pending since the start of the year due to the weather. Every available tech is out resolving these issues. There are vulnerable people without ANY service. These faults will take priority

There's always at least one idiot who can't resist the urge to clamber aboard his high-horse. 

The problem is not with the lines, the lines are fine. The problem is with their overloaded exchange. 

There are a load of faults yes, do you really think that the guys fixing the lines are the same guys who handle their network backbone where the problem is? They're not. 

The line is completely fine the problem occurs at the exchange, once it gets to the exchanges the line guys don't have anything more to do with it, that's up to the network or operation engineers and you can be sure those engineers aren't out putting up poles and running phone lines. 

But hey, congratulations, you've made the internet a better place today despite not having a clue what you're talking about. 

Edit: Oh and I'm just trying to find out when they're going to fix it, I'm not demanding that they do it right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

MikeJK wrote: »
    MajorMax wrote: »

There's always at least one idiot who can't resist the urge to clamber aboard his high-horse. 

The problem is not with the lines, the lines are fine. The problem is with their overloaded exchange. 

There are a load of faults yes, do you really think that the guys fixing the lines are the same guys who handle their network backbone where the problem is? They're not. 

The line is completely fine the problem occurs at the exchange, once it gets to the exchanges the line guys don't have anything more to do with it, that's up to the network or operation engineers and you can be sure those engineers aren't out putting up poles and running phone lines. 

But hey, congratulations, you've made the internet a better place today despite not having a clue what you're talking about. 

Edit: Oh and I'm just trying to find out when they're going to fix it, I'm not demanding that they do it right now.
    Hi MikeJK
    First, no need to attack other posters here, I see nothing offensive in the post, no need for you to attack.
    Second, you may have noticed this is a hot topic at the moment. We have taken a lot of info from posters here, including PMs and previously opened tickets on there issue. We have passed this on to appropriate technical teams and will post any feedback we get.
    If this is down to individual exchanges, as you point out, it is necessary for those experiencing issue to report to our broadband tech team and log a fault. Ten PM us you fault ref number and we can compile more info to help the investigation.
    Not an immediate solution, but as you say it may well provide info on when any identified issue may be resolved..
    By the way, I liked MajorMax's post, but then I would...I guess..
    Tony

• Advertisement

Hi MikeJK
    First, no need to attack other posters here, I see nothing offensive in the post, no need for you to attack.
    Second, you may have noticed this is a hot topic at the moment. We have taken a lot of info from posters here, including PMs and previously opened tickets on there issue. We have passed this on to appropriate technical teams and will post any feedback we get.
    If this is down to individual exchanges, as you point out, it is necessary for those experiencing issue to report to our broadband tech team and log a fault. Ten PM us you fault ref number and we can compile more info to help the investigation.
    Not an immediate solution, but as you say it may well provide info on when any identified issue may be resolved..
    By the way, I liked MajorMax's post, but then I would...I guess..
    Tony
    This matter doesn't involve him at all and he had no need to be so condescending, inflammatory or to be so dismissive of my complaint as a "first world problem". Particularly because there are very few phone related faults that aren't "first world problems". That is offensive regardless of whether or not you liked his post. 

I have been through your process, I have provided any and all information requested and it hasn't helped, after over a month of phone calls and waiting in eircom's queues for hours, the problem still remains unresolved and no-one there knows when they will even start fixing it. 

Posting your issue on a public forum allows other people to comment. If you're so easily offended perhaps you should just write a letter to Eircom or your local news paper instead of posting your problem on a public forum.

Posting your issue on a public forum allows other people to comment. If you're so easily offended perhaps you should just write a letter to Eircom or your local news paper instead of posting your problem on a public forum.
    I'm not easily offended, I give as good as I get, if someone attacks me I defend myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Mssg

I guess we have to wait... and we will be waiting for another few months. 

When I see this on UPC website and I know that they don't operate in my area I just want to cry

76dz.jpg

Advertisement