Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Puppy fostering...complicated situation

• 11-02-2014 5:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭

A friend of mine has recently had an accidental litter of pups (I know:mad:). The situation is further complicated by a serious, sudden illness which means that they won't be able to care for the pups and mum over the coming weeks. Obviously, rehoming is the ultimate goal for the pups, but mum and pups will likely need a foster until they are ready.
    I've already been through the ranting with the OH over the fact that the bitch wasn't spayed, so I don't want to get into that here. Regulars here will know my feelings on that subject. I just want to focus my energies on finding a solution for the situation.
    Is anyone aware of any fostering service for ill owners? I'm sure I would have heard of one if it existed but I thought I'd give it a try here (I know names can't be mentioned here, so PM me if you have any info). I'm working with another person and rescue contacts are being called upon but everyone is under so much pressure.
    I would consider fostering myself but don't know if I could manage it, with my own three. It could be very stressful for mum and pups, knowing there are other dogs so close (although obviously they would be separate). I'll know more later in the week after I have visited the pups, and a few more people have been contacted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

Can the bitch and pups can be left in the current house and someone come in to feed/clean/deal with them?

I rem having two litter of pups growing up, but that was a long time and they were outside/working dogs, so I'm not sure what is required with the bitch. Just trying to think of other options.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Can the bitch and pups can be left in the current house and someone come in to feed/clean/deal with them?

I rem having two litter of pups growing up, but that was a long time and they were outside/working dogs, so I'm not sure what is required with the bitch. Just trying to think of other options.

I was going to suggest the same, mind you when pups are weaned they're a serious handful - depending on how many there are and how mum dog copes with them.

I would suggest a move into a different enviornment could be quite traumatic for mother dog too - although her focus will be on the pups for a few weeks she'll be looking for her normal routine in her down time.

Hopefully a good foster home may help - where is she based? How many pups? And will she be hoping mum dog will come home? Some questions in case potential fosterers are dropping in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭mosi

Pretzill wrote: »
    I was going to suggest the same, mind you when pups are weaned they're a serious handful - depending on how many there are and how mum dog copes with them.

That is an option we've been discussing, and will look at more to see if it is viable. It depends on a few factors that have yet to be discussed, so will see.
    I would suggest a move into a different enviornment could be quite traumatic for mother dog too - although her focus will be on the pups for a few weeks she'll be looking for her normal routine in her down time.

Hopefully a good foster home may help - where is she based? How many pups? And will she be hoping mum dog will come home? Some questions in case potential fosterers are dropping in.

Yeah, a move isn't ideal but it depends if an alternative can happen. The illness may mean that it's not possible to have the litter around. As I said, I need to delve a bit deeper before anything is arranged.
    Based in Dublin, 5 puppies (Lab x) and mum is expected to go home after. Since I posted, I have one definite and another potential rescue space if homes can't be found directly, so that may take some pressure off. The interim is the main issue now.

The puppies and mum definitely need a foster due to the medical situation. We're still discussing whether we can do it or not, while some other feelers have been put out. A key issue is sorting out where to put them. One room, which I use as a study could potentially be blocked off to create a space but I would need to find some lino offcuts or some suitable flooring as the room currently has bare floorboards with wide gaps. The kitchen has an ideal floor but I would need to find some sort of barrier/fence to make a large enough area for them. There are other considerations of course, but this is a vital one, especially as I have resident dogs. I was thinking that maybe the first room would be ideal at first, and then the kitchen.
    Mum is very relaxed with people around her pups and doesn't mind the presence of other dogs in the house. As I said, there may be other options. Everyone here has met mum previously and she has stayed here before (albeit not with pups) so in that sense it may work. I would probably be inclined to give it a try if I could get the place set up right (can't afford to be buying expensive equipment). The OH is a bit more hesitant (probably rightly so). We do have some definite support however to chip in and let us out for a day!
    Nothing is decided but we'll have to make a decision soon. If any Boardsies close to Dublin have any floor/fence/puppy proof stuff, let me know if I can borrow it!
    I may not need it and the decision won't be based on it but it's definitely a consideration.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 374 ✭✭nala2012

If you go to carpet shop they sell off the ends of rolls of carpet so they'd probably have lino too? I got loads of carpet for €5 before when i told him it was for dogs!

• Advertisement

Great news, it seems that following medical advice the family are probably able to keep them at theirs!

Advertisement