Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scam - phone calls

Options
  • 11-02-2014 5:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭

Lately, I have been receiving phone calls from 00212340181.

This is the company which pretends to be working for Microsoft. They first make you count the error flags which come up into your event viewer, scare you with the yellow triangles and red circles that are showing there and get you to pay some money to 'cure' your computer. (I 'entertained' them a while for the fun of it some years ago until they wanted me to install some program onto my pc).

I am probably getting calls from this number 2 or 3 times a week. Last Friday alone, they rang 3 times. 

Is there ANYTHING Eircom can do ? (This number is well documented internationally on the internet)

Thanks - V

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

ValerieR wrote: »
    Lately, I have been receiving phone calls from 00212340181.

This is the company which pretends to be working for Microsoft. They first make you count the error flags which come up into your event viewer, scare you with the yellow triangles and red circles that are showing there and get you to pay some money to 'cure' your computer. (I 'entertained' them a while for the fun of it some years ago until they wanted me to install some program onto my pc).

I am probably getting calls from this number 2 or 3 times a week. Last Friday alone, they rang 3 times. 

Is there ANYTHING Eircom can do ? (This number is well documented internationally on the internet)

Thanks - V
    Hi ValerieR
    we have tried to make sure this is a well publicised issue but I am afraid that we cannot block individual numbers.
    We have reported these to the Consumer Help site here [font=Verdana","sans-serif]http://www.consumerhelp.ie/scams?gclid=CJa2u8P0tLwCFQKy2wodi0gApQ and would advise you report this also. These are devices that you can buy and connect to phone which can block numbers but they do cost.

Not the answer you hoped for I know apologies we cannot do more about these calls.
    Tony

[/font]

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭ValerieR

Thank you for the prompt response Tony.
    Sorry to hear that Eircom cannot do anything about this. I'll continue to ignore the ringing phone when I see this number coming up ... :/
    V

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

ValerieR wrote: »
    Thank you for the prompt response Tony.
    Sorry to hear that Eircom cannot do anything about this. I'll continue to ignore the ringing phone when I see this number coming up ... :/
    V
    I would answer but say nothing and don't hang up :) Cost them a few quid

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭davyboy1975

I would answer but say nothing and don't hang up :) Cost them a few quid

Doubt it would cost them much probably using some sort of voip system

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭sawdoubters

answer and tell them you don't have a computer

use a whistle blow into the receiver

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2013-04/11/malwarebytes

eircom can block the number but wont

complain to the regulators about eirccom

If the number is withheld the recipient of the nuisance calls will need to contact the Gardaí to report the nuisance calls. The Gardai will then approach the recipient’s network provider to investigate the call data. The Gardai must make this request to initiate the investigation to take place. Once the investigation has been carried out and the operator identifies the number, it can then be blocked,” a spokesperson for eircom Group

• Advertisement
Advertisement