Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How Should I Start? complete novice

Options
  • 11-02-2014 6:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭

My addiction for craft beers & anything unusual in the beer world has led me to the point where I would like to start brewing some beer at home myself.

Where should I start?

Are there any books recommended for the complete novice ?

Anything on the web worth a look?

Are there any groups that meet up of like minded people ?

Basically any idea on where to start my journey

Thank you

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

I'd avoid books for a beginner -- they'll overcomplicate things.

I'd definitely recommend talking to homebrewers in real life. The National Homebrew Club will doubtless have a branch near you and will have a schedule of meet-ups; Beoir in Dublin meets every month. (Perhaps even some Boards homebrewers might like to organise a meet-up in a homebrew-friendly venue.) There really is no substitute for real-life interaction, and brewers are always very helpful to newcomers.

Most people start with kit brewing: it's simple, you learn the basics, though the results often aren't great and it's a little constrained in what's possible. If you're interested in putting your own recipes together, extract brewing is a small step up, and if you want full control over the process there's all-grain.

There's lots of good advice in this forum, if you search and browse. Otherwise, just ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭TheHappyChappy

Thanks for the advice

Going to fight my way through the weather this evening & meet an old friend in the brew dock who has done a little home brewing in the past & pick his brain while sampling some top notch beer.

I'll try & start with a kit & go forward while also going to the groups you mentioned

Thanks again your advice is appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Keedowah

Loads of videos on youtube you to watch - they will literally take you through sanitising your gear, adding ingredients, fermentation, bottling and drinking your beers! Look for a guy called Craigtube - he is quite popular.

I got a groupon deal to do a class with beernut (at least I'm pretty sure it was beernut!?) a few years ago - would highly recommend it. Not sure if he is still doing it though.

Thanks for the info Keedowah

Keedowah wrote: »
    I got a groupon deal to do a class with beernut (at least I'm pretty sure it was beernut!?) a few years ago - would highly recommend it. Not sure if he is still doing it though.
    Yep, that was me. I'm not doing them any more but the new guy is an award-winning brewer and professional trainer so keep an eye out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭MrGee

BeerNut wrote: »
    Yep, that was me. I'm not doing them any more but the new guy is an award-winning brewer and professional trainer so keep an eye out.

OP, i started brewing recently with kits. You can buy startup equipment in any of the irish online brew shops for good prices. Kit beer is as simple as making a cup of coffee but on a bigger scale. Cleanliness is the main thing to focus on.
    Im on my 3rd kit now and im addicted too it already. Gonna move to extract brewing next order. Kits are a great way to learn the basics of brewing.
    People on this website or on Beoir will answer all your questions. There all very helpfull. Good luck! and prepare for a new addiction.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭MrGee

Sorry didnt mean to quote there, typing on my iphone. :)

Thanks for the info MrGee

Cheers BeerNut I'll be keeping an eye out for that course , love to do it, thanks again

• Advertisement

Great, Thanks for the heads up

Advertisement