Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best way to buy digital music?

Options
  • 11-02-2014 7:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭

My folks have just got themselves a Nexus 7 2013 edition and a nice Blue tooth speaker. They would like to know the best way to buy songs and albums that they would own and can be transfered to other Mp3 devices, not streaming services like Spotify or Google music. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

I'm guessing that you want something more than CD's?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Baked.noodle

I'm guessing that you want something more than CD's?

Ya, I think CD's are a bit awkward and on the expensive side.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,995 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

on an Android device, Google Play Music is probably the simplest - you buy an album, it's stored in the cloud and you can play it on any device you're logged into (and you can download it if required to transfer to other devices).

7digital.ie is another option.

Looking about on-line I think there are limitations on Android as to how many times you can download a song from Google Music for use in other devices. I think it's two times, but over 10 devices which doesn't make any sense to me. Then I've come across something called Google Music Manager that can be installed on PC to download tracks and it doesn't specify any download limitations. Any idea how this works, or indeed if this is the case. Thanks.

TBH I've never bought anything off Google Play Music, I just use it to store my own collection in the cloud (I mostly use Spotify these days for new music).

I don't think that download restriction applies to purchased music though and you don't really need to "download" on an Android device anyway - you can "pin" music to the device which makes it available offline. The Music Manager PC application is used to upload and download your collection from the cloud.

the alternative is iTunes which has its own restrictions and is (IMO) a terrible clunky piece of software.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,224 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I've used google play music and find it quite good, very good selection when I've had to look for smaller artists.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭bullpost

The problem with google Music is that realistically you are limited to playing your music with the supplied player. If you download the MP3 files they are stripped of all tags and so cannot be identified by another player.
    If this is important to you then 7digital might be a better bet. They allow you to download and store and play from the cloud. Downloaded files are original quality and have all tags/IDs preserved.
    Looking about on-line I think there are limitations on Android as to how many times you can download a song from Google Music for use in other devices. I think it's two times, but over 10 devices which doesn't make any sense to me. Then I've come across something called Google Music Manager that can be installed on PC to download tracks and it doesn't specify any download limitations. Any idea how this works, or indeed if this is the case. Thanks.

bullpost wrote: »
    The problem with google Music is that realistically you are limited to playing your music with the supplied player. If you download the MP3 files they are stripped of all tags and so cannot be identified by another player.
    If this is important to you then 7digital might be a better bet. They allow you to download and store and play from the cloud. Downloaded files are original quality and have all tags/IDs preserved.

I just downloaded a track from Google and it had all the tags still there.

loyatemu wrote: »
    I just downloaded a track from Google and it had all the tags still there.

How did you download the track. Was it through Google Music or Google Music Manager?

EDIT: Also, was it a track you bought, or a track you uploaded? Thanks.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,224 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I've downloaded 2 albums from google play music and they've been tagged perfectly

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement

How did you download the track. Was it through Google Music or Google Music Manager?

EDIT: Also, was it a track you bought, or a track you uploaded? Thanks.

through Google Music, it was a "purchased" track (actually it was free, but I didn't upload it).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭bullpost

Ones I downloaded without tags were originally uploaded by me from my collection, so that might explain it. I've never bought any music from Google.
    loyatemu wrote: »
    through Google Music, it was a "purchased" track (actually it was free, but I didn't upload it).

• Registered Users Posts: 7 saffire6

I buy most of my stuff on bandcamp nowadays. The money goes direct to the bands without some greedy label trying to get the biggest piece of the cake.

Advertisement