Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Self employed

Options
  • 11-02-2014 7:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Lads,
    I'm just looking for a bit of advice. I have the opportunity of going self employed through a company I have been working with for the last seven years. I currently have a company van and mobile paid for. The work I do is mainly service work, ie, HVAC and electricial. What sort of hourly rate should I be charging to make it work?
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Gilbert Grape

30 euro an hour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

My advice to you OP would be to remain PAYE employee, i feel most self employed people would swap to an employee job if they were given the option, alot to be said for a secure weeks wage and no headaches.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Add together what you earn now, the cost of running a van, the cost of the phone, the cost of an accountant, holiday pay, pension, something to cover sick pay, insurance and allow for time to do your accounts. In addition remember that you will not be entitled to the dole or any notice if the company has no work for you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭sawdoubters

stay paye or work for yourself but not with the company

you will not make money from the company,

my guess is they will make you self employed for 6 months then lay you off so they don't have to pay redundancy

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/rct/determining-the-correct-employment-status-of-a-worker.html

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

WikiHow wrote: »
    most self employed people would swap to an employee job if they were given the option

Speaking as a self employed person I agree 100% with this statement for so many reasons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 fullback3

Appreciate all the responses lads. 2011 as ever you make a lot of sense. This is not something I have thought about on a whim I understand how hard it is to be self employed and the extra hours that customers and clients just don't see. My current employer is very honest and loyal and I reciprocate it, he is willing to give me a good start to hopefully my new career. Thanks again for the replies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

What would one consider a good hourly rate for an employee take home pay for a commercial/Industrial electrician, non union?

fullback3 wrote: »
    2011 as ever you make a lot of sense.

Thanks for the compliment, if I ever get a staff job I will by you a few beers :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,543 ✭✭✭✭ted1

fullback3 wrote: »
    Appreciate all the responses lads. 2011 as ever you make a lot of sense. This is not something I have thought about on a whim I understand how hard it is to be self employed and the extra hours that customers and clients just don't see. My current employer is very honest and loyal and I reciprocate it, he is willing to give me a good start to hopefully my new career. Thanks again for the replies.

Tbh it sounds like you might being made redundant. Your employer is covering himself by getting you to leave and using you for as long as he can and can then cut you off without any notice or protection.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭eoinf

very simple thing but remember contractors get no holidays or public holiday pay (Christmas Bank Holidays)

so realistically your wage before any deductions is rate/h *40 *48.

@€;30 per hour = max €57,600.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 509 ✭✭✭bertie1

You forgot the fact that employees are only productive for 5.5 hours of the 8 they get paid for. Out of that 5.5 you need to cover holidays , PRSI etc

Advertisement