Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rough collie

• 11-02-2014 7:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭

Hi folks
    Just wondering was looking at buying a rough collie are the a popular breed as I would like to show and breed them, just would the be a popular breed to get in too.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

They are a fairly popular show dog. If you definitely want to show you would have to go to a reputable show breeder. You may have to wait for a quality puppy.

If you are new to showing they would not be an easy first show dog as their massive coats need a lot of work & there is some trimming involved. One of my friends has a Champion dog.

The Celtic Winners Show on the 15th of March in Cloghran Swords would be worth a visit as you will see lots of quality dogs there. I can't link as using my phone, if you go on the IKC page you will find the Rough Collie secretary's details.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Madden171

Thanks for comment .How is rough collie pups selling at the moment, as would be interested in breeding them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

I imagine that would depend on quality of pups, standard of parents, and what might make your particular pups worth money. At the moment there are a glut of pure bred dogs beng sold for next to nothing around the country so unless you're planning to breed something special, and thus expensive to produce between health testing and so forth, it would hardly be worth your while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

Madden171 wrote: »
    Thanks for comment .How is rough collie pups selling at the moment, as would be interested in breeding them.

The prices vary a lot according to the quality of them. Breeding them to a high standard takes years of experience. Unless you are breeding from Champion dogs they will not be worth much.

You will find it fairly difficult to source a reputable breeder that will sell you dogs for breeding. Most have papers endorsed to stop people breeding the dogs to make money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

I know a chap who breeds rough collies (as well as shelties) and shows them. They are excellent show quality dogs with beautiful temperaments, but the price he sells them collectively is the exact same amount of money he puts into care of the bitch, breeding the health of the pups afterwards.

Breeding dogs isn't cheap (and shouldn't be) if you want to give someone a good, healthy dog with all the vaccinations, prior health checks and paperwork they should have with them.

Are you experienced in breeding Madden171?

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Advertisement
Advertisement