Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Resources to Learn Specific Java Topics

Options
  • 11-02-2014 9:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭

I have been called for a technical test for a graduate job application I submitted. The test involves taking an incomplete Java web application and bringing it to the stage where it works and can be demonstrated within a browser. I have previous experience in Java and HTML separately and no experience in Java for the web.

I am confident that I know the HTML required for the test. However it would be a great help if somebody had a quick guide on how HTML and Java are combined? Based on my limited knowledge of JSP I am assuming this has something to do with it?

On the Java side there are a few topics I've never touched before which I could do with some help on, specifically these are JavaBeans, Servlets / JSPs (writing and registering basic servlets, forwarding requests, authoring JSP pages) and JDBC (executing queries and statements). I am sort of aware of what Servlets and JSPs are and I know JDBC is used to interface with a database but that's really as far as my knowledge on these topics goes. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated?

There are several other topics which I've covered before exhaustively on the Java end that are required. I am aware of online video tutorials for some of these topics but I'd prefer written sources as I find people generally tend to go a bit slow in video tutorials for me. So if you had any resources I could use that would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

Kavrocks wrote: »
    I have been called for a technical test for a graduate job application I submitted. The test involves taking an incomplete Java web application and bringing it to the stage where it works and can be demonstrated within a browser. I have previous experience in Java and HTML separately and no experience in Java for the web.

I am confident that I know the HTML required for the test. However it would be a great help if somebody had a quick guide on how HTML and Java are combined? Based on my limited knowledge of JSP I am assuming this has something to do with it?

On the Java side there are a few topics I've never touched before which I could do with some help on, specifically these are JavaBeans, Servlets / JSPs (writing and registering basic servlets, forwarding requests, authoring JSP pages) and JDBC (executing queries and statements). I am sort of aware of what Servlets and JSPs are and I know JDBC is used to interface with a database but that's really as far as my knowledge on these topics goes. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated?

There are several other topics which I've covered before exhaustively on the Java end that are required. I am aware of online video tutorials for some of these topics but I'd prefer written sources as I find people generally tend to go a bit slow in video tutorials for me. So if you had any resources I could use that would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.headfirstlabs.com/books/hfsvlt/

Everything you need to know.

edit: It is a little bit out dated, but the core principles will see you through enough to learn the rest on the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

ChRoMe wrote: »
    http://www.headfirstlabs.com/books/hfsvlt/

Everything you need to know.

edit: It is a little bit out dated, but the core principles will see you through enough to learn the rest on the job.
    Thanks a mil. Hopefully all goes well.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Meritor

Meritor wrote: »
    Thanks for the suggestion. The test was this morning so I never got a chance to look at these.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Meritor

Ahh.. Anyways, how was the test?

• Advertisement

Meritor wrote: »
    Ahh.. Anyways, how was the test?
    The JSP and Servlet specific parts didn't go great. Everything else was fine though.

Could have done with some extra time but hopefully my approach to everything else is somewhat close to what they are looking for.

Advertisement