Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flyfishing rights on rivers in Co. Waterford?

• 11-02-2014 10:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

I am looking to get back into river fishing but I am not sure about clubs on local rivers (Im not a local), I know Cappoquin has a club and Tallow but there are loads of smaller rivers like the Tar, Colligan etc that I can't find out about. I email Inland Fisheries about Colligan and they said no club has rights to the river but I have heard people say that there is, so if anyone has any information about rivers surrounding Dungarvan if they can please let me know if they are in a club on any rivers, where can the be contacted.
    Thanks, Mike

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

It mentions permits here for colligan

http://www.fishinginireland.info/searchresults.htm?cx=018414890920729066787%3Ahc3yrvkvzom&cof=FORID%3A11&ie=UTF-8&q=colligan&sa=Search&siteurl=www.fishinginireland.info%2Ftrout%2Ftroutrivers.htm&ref=www.fishinginireland.info%2F&ss=6439j8442833j8

Most of the Tar is privately owned and operates as private fisheries.

Not all waters are down to clubs and many are privately owned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 284 ✭✭realrebel

As far as I know the colligan river is free fishing, there used to be a club on it years ago but not anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭mikeweed

Good to know about colligan needing a permit. At least that will cover me when I get a chance to fish it. Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 513 ✭✭✭leddpipe

hey guys :) Does the Tar in Glengarra Wood (Tipp) require a permit? Is it worth fishing at that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 497 ✭✭experimenter

Join Thomastown and fish the Suir for Brown Trout.

I go to the Suir in Clonmel.

Wonder have you thought of the River Mahon in Bunmahon.. I am going to give it a visit, looks fishy..

I'm also located in Waterford, and have to travel for river fishing

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 30 deisedays

It's next to impossible to find any decent river brown trout flyfishing in Waterford, that is suitable for a novice. You will probably have to travel.
    The suir is a great trout river, but it is a very difficult river to fly fish - in my opinion you need to know the river very well and Suir trout are unbelievably spooky.
    There are some surprisingly good brown trout on parts of the finisk (it runs between Cappoquin and Dungarvan). Fishing is with landowners permission, as far as I know.
    Finisk is a bit overgrown in parts but I've had trout here up to 1 pound on nymph and dry fly. Hope this helps!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 497 ✭✭experimenter

Not sure how the Suir is difficult to fish, just get a day permit in Cahir at the corner shop in the town. Head down to Swiss Cottage and easy fishing, safe to wade etc... I fished there quite a bit during the summer. You can wet fly, nymph or dry fly depending on conditions.

Check this leaflet for more info on the Suir.

Lots of free fishing on the River Nore in Kilkenny, great fishing on the River Deen and Dinan in Castlecomber, all within 45mins from Waterford City.

2010CahirAnglersLeaflet.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 16 davidrees1916

Join Thomastown and fish the Suir for Brown Trout.

I go to the Suir in Clonmel.

Wonder have you thought of the River Mahon in Bunmahon.. I am going to give it a visit, looks fishy..

I'm also located in Waterford, and have to travel for river fishing

Did you ever check out the River Mahon?

I'm moving to Bunmahon this week and hope to do some fishing for trout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭gw80

Did you ever check out the River Mahon?

I'm moving to Bunmahon this week and hope to do some fishing for trout.
    Hi, only just seen your post,
    The mahon is regarded as a seatrout river really, there are plenty of browns in it but are fairly small, last year it was closed for salmon, dont know about this year, but you could fish it up by seafield school or by the weir just 5 minutes up the road from bunmahon.
    Or you could fish it down by the mouth in bunmahon for mullet or seatrout or bass

• Registered Users Posts: 16 davidrees1916

Thanks for writing, I'll check it out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Evac101

I've mentioned this before on this forum, but to add it to this - the River Dawn (which at this time of year is little more than a stream), runs near to the Waterford/Cork Road from Carroll's Cross (on the south side of the road), down past the Ballyduff GAA pitch in Kildermody, when it switches sides on the road, all the way down to the Suir. It's packed with shoals of small trout though, when I was a child 35 years ago, there were also some trout up to probably a pound with the occasional sea trout for good measure. I'm told that the fish ladder just before the confluence with the Suir has been destroyed so I imagine no more sea trout, no more but there's no license to fish the river, just obtain the land owners permission and leave nowt behind :)

(Google maps pin of where the Dawn crosses under the N25 below Kildermody)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Evac101 wrote:
    (Google maps

Your gaff??

Your gaff??

I'm from Ballyduff originally, about a 10-15 minute cycle from the Dawn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Evac101 wrote:
    I'm from Ballyduff originally, about a 10-15 minute cycle from the Dawn.

The link just brought me to a house in Dublin I meant

Weird. I'll re-link :0

Trying this pin business again: N25
    N25, Kilmoyemoge East, Co. Waterford

https://goo.gl/maps/VyKGKUf7WpF2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

I used to fish the Clodagh around Rathgormack & Clonea Power many years ago. A bit tight for fly fishing though.
    The Suir around Ballydine down to Miloko has sections where water is shallow enough to wade and fly fishing is good. Used to fish from Waterford side with landowner's permission. Not sure if it's all owned by angling clubs these days though.
    Have you thought about going up to the lakes in the Comeraghs? Used to be small tough brownies in them.

Advertisement