Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda BikeSafe launcing 22nd Feb, Drogheda

• 11-02-2014 10:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭

Like it says on the tin...

Garda BikeSafe, East & North East regions launched on Saturday 22nd February in Drogheda and will run on a regular basis thereafter.

Details on the MAG Ireland site if you're interested in applying.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭markad1

It's well worth doing if you can get on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Will they be teaching, weaving through traffic at stupid speeds, overtaking in bus-lanes, dicing with other members................:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭The Don

Thanks! I was just wondering yesterday when this was starting up again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Will they be teaching, weaving through traffic at stupid speeds, overtaking in bus-lanes, dicing with other members................:p

DOWN WITH THAT SORT OF THING!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭carsQhere

Bump! kicks off this weekend. louthbikesafe@gmail.com is the address if you want to get a place on this years rota. It's free and all you need to do is turn up on your road legal bike. Full details on http://www.magireland.org/2014/news-media/bikesafe-to-launch-sat-22nd-february/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

carsQhere wrote: »
    Bump! kicks off this weekend. louthbikesafe@gmail.com is the address if you want to get a place on this years rota. It's free and all you need to do is turn up on your road legal bike. Full details on http://www.magireland.org/2014/news-media/bikesafe-to-launch-sat-22nd-february/

...when ya say "road legal".............:pac:

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Pretty cool I'd like to do this, and its free! Not sure if I can make saturday, but are they doing any other dates? Is it just Louth or do any other areas do it also?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Zascar wrote: »
    Pretty cool I'd like to do this, and its free! Not sure if I can make saturday, but are they doing any other dates? Is it just Louth or do any other areas do it also?

I applied for this but asked if they were running any from Dublin or Wicklow. I'll let you know if anything comes up for them

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Got a reply myself said it's oversubscribed. Hopefully there will be more

The info I have is that the Drogheda one covers the Eastern Division, and as Zascar said it's currently oversubscribed. Whether and when it might run in other areas is entirely up to the individuals in the relevant Garda divisions, so it's difficult to say. Of course if this one is successful it'll make it easier for others to follow.

• Advertisement

Was talking to Sgt. O'Neill on Saturday. They'll try to accommodate as many as they can. If you want to do it apply anyway, and if at all possible, they'll try to schedule something.

They're aiming to run it once a month for the next few months. louthbikesafe@gmail.com with name and contact details to apply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

I done this last weekend. I really enjoyed it but I didn't know the area at all and missed my turn a few times :D . but I was insanely nervous about a garda bike following me the whole time. Next time I will be more confident and remember where all the turns are.

I was given some good advice and told never to get on a bike again.. ;) Also I may have been told to do the ROSPA? I think that is what it's called.

Sounds good, so what type of thing do they teach you, can you run us through the format of the day?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

You just show up and they talk you through what will be happening. There is a load of pens and brouchures that I meant to pick up after but they closed off that van.

Basically you are told what route to drive ( immediately I forgot the first turn ) and the Garda will follow you around for 30 or 40min on the route just watching. Then at the end he went over a few of the things I was doing right and a few of the things I was doing wrong.

Advertisement