Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

watch sold as new but had been sold previously, where do I stand?

• 11-02-2014 10:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭

Apologies if this is not in the correct forum!

Ok so I bought a watch 4 days ago from a shop. Its a present for my brothers 40th birthday, which is in a few days time.
    I have just looked at the warranty booklet that came with the watch,and noticed that a date in December was scribbled out on it, aong with other numbers, presumably relating to the identity of the watch.

So the watch had obviously been sold previously and returned and then the shop sold it again.
    Can I return the watch because it is not new and get my money back? or was the shop entitled to sell the watch as new again.

I don't know if the previous buyer had just changed their mind or whether there was a fault with the watch.
    I must also add that since I've had the watch I've had to reset the time as it was running slow.
    This was already done in the shop when I bought it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,510 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

If it was sold as new then you are entitled to a new item, unless the shop specifically called out that it was a previous return.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Modern watches are usually battery operated and do not run slow. Mechanical watches can, sometimes, but in the case of an expensive watch, you shouldnt have to be adjusting it like that.

The watch could have come back as a change of mind, and if it still looks pristine, that wouldnt concern me. The poor timekeeping would, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭weetiepie

Thanks for the responses..I called the shop this morning and explained my story..they said the watch just probably needs a new battery...I'm wondering why if it is a brand new watch? I also challenged them on the watch being sold previously...they asked for the code of the watch written on the warranty, which I gave. The lady then told me the watch had only come into the shop the previous day!

Then she asked for the code which had been scribbled out, it was a different code. She said there was another watch which had been returned to the shop with that code and that I basically had been given the warranty for that watch. She offered a new battery and warranty or another watch of the same make. They only carry one of each of these watches.

I don't know what to do now. I really like the one i purchased for my brother, but what if it starts giving him trouble down the line? It will then just be sent back to the manufacture and then there is all the too ing and fro ing. (Been there before with another watch, didn't work out in the end)
    Going into the shop tomorrow to look at the other one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

All sounds perfectly plausible to me, to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Is this not a perfect example for all the people that have started threads on here giving out about shops not wanting to take back stuff they've bought when they change their minds.
    weetiepie wrote: »
    they said the watch just probably needs a new battery...I'm wondering why if it is a brand new watch? .

It could have sat in the shop/suppliers for months/years.

• Advertisement

Is this not a perfect example for all the people that have started threads on here giving out about shops not wanting to take back stuff they've bought when they change their minds.

I didn't change my mind????? The watch was running slow by 15 mins or so, what would be the point of keeping the bloody thing...would be as useful as a chocolate teapot!!!!

It could have sat in the shop/suppliers for months/years.[/quote]
    The watch actually came into the shop the day before... It was a brand new model. I asked the retailer how this happens? He said he'd love to know himself..he could never get an answer from manufacturers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Irish_Elect_Eng

".he could never get an answer from manufacturers."

This may be a warning of what is to come if the watch is actually faulty.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭4th horsemen

Put your mind at ease and return it for a full refund.
    First the warranty thing and then the watch doesn't hold the time, yes could be battery but I doubt it. The whole transaction wasn't a positive one so I'd be getting my money back.... just in case.

Refund and go someplace else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Arthur Beesley

If he only got the watch a few day ago, who filled in the warranty details in December?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

weetiepie wrote: »

I didn't change my mind????? The watch was running slow by 15 mins or so, what would be the point of keeping the bloody thing...would be as useful as a chocolate teapot!!!!

I never said you did. Your the other side of the transaction from when someone else demands something be taken back and gives out that the shop should give them their money back and just resell the goods.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

If the watch needs a new battery the shop should give you one.
    It's not ok that a new item immediately needs a battery change.

I never said you did. Your the other side of the transaction from when someone else demands something be taken back and gives out that the shop should give them their money back and just resell the goods.

Apologies, thought u were having a go :) I would agree with the point you made...

So took the watch back and they said they wanted to just change the battery and `we'all see if that works, and if not we'll send the it back to the manufactures'?? I told them I hadn't even given it to my brother yet!! And they are talking already about sending a brand new, unworn watch back to the manufactures!! And in the meantime what was I going to give my brother for his 40th birthday the following day??

I told them it was completely unacceptable and they had 2 choices..either a full refund or a brand new watch. Of course they jumped at the second option. I'm just hoping I've done the right thing and the watch doesn't start giving trouble...its the same brand...

Thanks everyone for your comments and advises... Much appreciated

If he only got the watch a few day ago, who filled in the warranty details in December?

I think when items come into a store they are taken from their boxes and displayed, while the boxes are stored...it seems all the boxes for particular brands are the same so in my case they could have just grabbed the box(warranty) inside and scribbled out that warranty and wrote a new one underneath...

Advertisement