Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Physiotherapy Vs Occupational Therapy

Options
  • 11-02-2014 10:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi,

Having hit the 30 club this year I'm looking to bite the bullet and change my career

I completed a Social Science degree a number of years ago and am now looking into physiotherapy and occupational therapy. Accelerated masters courses for both professions are very hard to get into here and i'm open to the idea of heading to the UK to study.

I've talked to some people in both professions but have heard conflicting reports regarding job opportunities. Just wondering if anyone has thoughts regarding job opportunities....which one would you do...physio or OT?

Also if anyone has any recommendations regarding colleges in the UK I'd greatly appreciate it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33 theginsandwich

Hi,

I'm about to graduate from a UK uni as an OT. We've been told that if you're willing/able to move in the UK to where the job is, none of us should have trouble finding a job broadly in the OT field, whereas those committed to a particular geographical area may have to wait six months to a year to find a full time post. I asked a question about the situation in Ireland for newly graduated OTs last year. Here it is:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056966842

I don't think the situation with physio is that much different, so really I'd research them both and work out which you would prefer. While there can be overlap, they're two very distinct careers.

For UK unis, look up the national OT body's website for a list of courses: http://www.cot.co.uk/

Regarding uni recommendations, for OT anyway once the course is recognised by the national body and the World Federation of OT it's fine. There aren't really league tables or snobbery regarding where you studied as it has only been a degree course for the last few decades. If I were you, I'd look at the teaching style of the uni. Most do Problem-based Learning to a greater or lesser degree, so pick a course whose teaching style would suit you and where you'd also like to live for 2/3 years. Any further questions feel free to ask. Hope this is helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭louloubella

Hi, Before you apply for either post grad you need to have experience shadowing an OT or a PT. Its a pre requisite for most MScs.
    Try the MSc in Limerick, I did it, its great. Don't mind 'competitive'. You have as much chance as anyone. You never know what they are looking for.
    Get shadowing in a hospital and one other place for OT and same for PT. Then apply.
    As for UK, I applied and got in to lots of places. Fortunetly I got UL in the end, close to home.
    If finances are a prob look for courses specifically funded by the NHS.
    The hardest thing about going back to uni for me and Im sure some of my classmates near and over 30 would agree...is not having money,that is what makes things hard at time. But if you can see it as an investment in yourself, it will get you through.
    Go for it. Do your shadowing and then figure which one you want !
    Hi,

Having hit the 30 club this year I'm looking to bite the bullet and change my career

I completed a Social Science degree a number of years ago and am now looking into physiotherapy and occupational therapy. Accelerated masters courses for both professions are very hard to get into here and i'm open to the idea of heading to the UK to study.

I've talked to some people in both professions but have heard conflicting reports regarding job opportunities. Just wondering if anyone has thoughts regarding job opportunities....which one would you do...physio or OT?

Also if anyone has any recommendations regarding colleges in the UK I'd greatly appreciate it.

Advertisement