Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forestry

• 11-02-2014 11:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭

Hi. I have forestry for 20years now. And I'm wondering what is the next stage. What Happens next I mean? Do I sell it? Who do I sell it to? And roughly how much an acre would it be worth?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭Jack180570

Hi. I have forestry for 20years now. And I'm wondering what is the next stage. What Happens next I mean? Do I sell it? Who do I sell it to? And roughly how much an acre would it be worth?

Contact Teagasc for some free advice or contact a few of your local forestry companies or consultants. Plenty of them out there and won't cost you anything to get them out to have a look and give their advice. If you have some neighbours who have forestry or thinned they would be a good source of information.
    Basically at this stage, depending on the size, species, soil type, exposure, fertility and productivity of the site it may be time to thin the plantation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

I have forestry for 20years now.

What species and how much?
    And I'm wondering what is the next stage.

Has it had its 1st thinning yet?
    What Happens next I mean?
    Depends on its current condition and what you expect from it.
    Do I sell it? Who do I sell it to?
    Define IT! Is it

A) The whole thing; or
    B) All the trees that are on it;
    C) Thinnnings
    D) Rights to B and C
    E) Something else!

Note: As it is 20 years old, it is now legally forest land, and CANNOT be reverted to other uses WITHOUT state agreement through Forest Service or whatever. And that applies whether you got grants and/or premiums or not.[/QUOTE]
    And roughly how much an acre would it be worth?

The crop upon the land is worth whatever it is worth. For that, ABSOLUTELY, you need it valued by an expert.

As to the land itself: Following forestry, its worth about 1/3 the price per acre of equivalent agricultural land in your area.

Advertisement