Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taking a trip - worried about flooding

Options
  • 12-02-2014 12:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭

I was thinking of spending a couple of nights in Cork next week and am just wondering if the flooding would affect this? Would it have any real impact on our stay or is it grand enough to get around. Can't really tell this kinda of stuff from the news.

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭11811

IRcolm wrote: »
    I was thinking of spending a couple of nights in Cork next week and am just wondering if the flooding would affect this? Would it have any real impact on our stay or is it grand enough to get around. Can't really tell this kinda of stuff from the news.

Cheers!

Not at all! It's all cleared up now, was really only an overnight affair. All roads and transport links are all fine too. Hopefully will stay that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

11811 wrote: »
    Not at all! It's all cleared up now, was really only an overnight affair. All roads and transport links are all fine too. Hopefully will stay that way.

Floods last week. Hurricane this week. Godzilla next week!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Cork city? Naw, you're grand altogether. Corkonions are well used to getting on with it. Business as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

The floods in Cork, whilst serious, were totally misrepresented and portrayed as 'Biblical' events by mischievous people.

Cork is well used to flooding, our infrastructure handles them well, rarely do they last more than an hour or so on average.

I would predict that flooding, which is not expected at this time, would Not hinder your stay in any way. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

Red Nissan wrote: »
    The floods in Cork, whilst serious, were totally misrepresented and portrayed as 'Biblical' events by mischievous people.

Cork is well used to flooding, our infrastructure handles them well, rarely do they last more than an hour or so on average.

hqdefault.jpg

• Advertisement

This case is coming before the courts in an action against the ESB Dam Management.
    evilivor wrote: »
    hqdefault.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭bonerjams03

I was mainly concerned with pubs, museums etc. not being open - didn't expect to see the streets still filled with water, so cheers for clearing that up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

Museums might take a little longer to reopen, but you've little to worry about with the pubs.
    zzzCorkFloodingLeChateau1963EveningEcho_large.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

FYI... Flood warning issued for tomorrow between 4pm and 7pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

Knasher wrote: »
    Museums might take a little longer to reopen, but you've little to worry about with the pubs.
    zzzCorkFloodingLeChateau1963EveningEcho_large.jpg

Clancy's is still shut since the night of the first flood this month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Mrdata.

Heading down to the Clarion in the city tomorrow night. Is there a chance that area could be flooded? Dont know the city myself but it looks very close to the river? They also said there is parking under the hotel?

Mrdata. wrote: »
    Heading down to the Clarion in the city tomorrow night. Is there a chance that area could be flooded? Dont know the city myself but it looks very close to the river? They also said there is parking under the hotel?

Almost certainly no floods.

During the most recent, heavy and high flood the Clarion remained dry and the car park did not flood. It won't tomorrow either.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭sensormatic

some place to build a hotel there

IRcolm, hope you enjoy your evening in a DRY Flood Free City, maybe a little rain, but no floods as I predicted. :D

Advertisement