Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Unable to cancel rfuge collection without paying arears up front

• 12-02-2014 12:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭

Hi

I use a refuge collection service in Carlow. They have a monthly charge which you pay in person in the office (or you can direct debit). The last time I paid this was September, that was also the last time they collected the refuge (which is fine). I don't generate alot of trash and was away for a bit. However apparently I still owe for the months they didn't collect the bins.

I want to cancel this service and go with another pay as you go service, but they wont cancel my service until i have paid the outstanding €10. Can they really hold me responsible for the €100 and subsequently add an extra €25 to the arrears every month until it it paid?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Ocean Blue

Hi

I use a refuge collection service in Carlow. They have a monthly charge which you pay in person in the office (or you can direct debit). The last time I paid this was September, that was also the last time they collected the refuge (which is fine). I don't generate alot of trash and was away for a bit. However apparently I still owe for the months they didn't collect the bins.

I want to cancel this service and go with another pay as you go service, but they wont cancel my service until i have paid the outstanding €10. Can they really hold me responsible for the €100 and subsequently add an extra €25 to the arrears every month until it it paid?

The monthly charge is for the use of the bins. Presumably you had the bins at your house and they were available for you to use. If you wanted to stop using the service back then you should have had the company take back the bins. So you still owe the money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,338 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Hi

Its likely that because you didnt contact them to cancel the agreement (which I assume you didnt), they'll look for the months outstanding because you didnt notify them that you wanted to cancel it.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭oxygen

Ocean Blue wrote: »
    The monthly charge is for the use of the bins. Presumably you had the bins at your house and they were available for you to use. If you wanted to stop using the service back then you should have had the company take back the bins. So you still owe the money.

The bins were full, they just stopped collecting them.

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    Its likely that because you didnt contact them to cancel the agreement (which I assume you didnt), they'll look for the months outstanding because you didnt notify them that you wanted to cancel it.

Well it was only in the last week I decided the cancel it. The point being though that I need to pay for 3 months service that I didnt receive, in spite of having rubbish in the bins

Yeah so the bins were storing your rubbish I.e. still in use by you. If you wanted to cancel the service you should have phoned them and arranged to have the bins taken away and your account closed.

• Advertisement

Well it was only in the last week I decided the cancel it. The point being though that I need to pay for 3 months service that I didnt receive, in spite of having rubbish in the bins

You did receive service - you had the use of the bins at your house. That has to be paid for, essentially you are renting the bins. Whether they are full or not beside your house is irrelevant. The fact that you didn't get the full service I.e. regular collections is because you failed to stick to your agreement to make monthly payments and also didn't close your account.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,290 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I don't generate alot of trash and was away for a bit.
    Those 2 statements appear to be contradictory. Perhaps you could explain?

An analogy would be if you take out a TV plan with someone - if you are provided with the TV service, its up to you as to whether you use it or not. I know this is slightly different because you're probably not under contract, but if you sign up for a subscription service and dont use it, thats your own loss and the charges would generally be seen as being valid by the company you signed up with.

An analogy would be if you take out a TV plan with someone - if you are provided with the TV service, its up to you as to whether you use it or not. I know this is slightly different because you're probably not under contract, but if you sign up for a subscription service and dont use it, thats your own loss and the charges would generally be seen as being valid by the company you signed up with.

Except there was rubbish to be collected that hasnt been collected since September. This is the €100 I owe. Using your analogy above I didn't actually receive the TV service for the last 4 months.

muffler wrote: »
    Those 2 statements appear to be contradictory. Perhaps you could explain?

As I mentioned I was away for a bit, also i should have stated partially full. They were only ever partially full, hence why i would prefer a pay as you go service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 104 ✭✭Fat Nav

Except there was rubbish to be collected that hasnt been collected since September. This is the €100 I owe. Using your analogy above I didn't actually receive the service for the last 4 months.

If I was paying for a service and the company did not collect my rubbish I would be on the phone straight away to them to come collect the rubbish.
    you should of cancelled your service in September if you were not going to be using it.

Fat Nav wrote: »
    If I was paying for a service and the company did not collect my rubbish I would be on the phone straight away to them to come collect the rubbish.
    you should of cancelled your service in September if you were not going to be using it.

As I mentioned above, I only decided the other week that I want to cancel it. The issue here is the €100 I owe for not receiving any service, and that they will keep charging me a monthly fee for the lack of service and will not cancel my account.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

Ocean Blue wrote: »
    Presumably you had the bins at your house and they were available for you to use. If you wanted to stop using the service back then you should have had the company take back the bins. So you still owe the money.

Having the bins at his house means nothing. I cancelled a service last Sept and the company has still not collected their bins. Are you suggesting they would be within their rights to charge me for having use of them since Sept ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Hi

They have already cancelled the service by refusing to collect your rubbish, they can't continue to charge for a service they don't provide.
    Did you leave the bins out for collection and were they emptied? obviously not because the account was in arrears, Therefore they stopped providing the service and can not charge for providing a service which they did not provide! If your gas got cut off you would not be charged for what you might have used were it still connected!

If I were you I would sign up to the new service then contact the other place in writing and tell them their bins are there to be collected and if not collected in a reasonable time you will hand them to the litter warden, You will have to place the rubbish into your new providers bins.

Duiske wrote: »
    Having the bins at his house means nothing. I cancelled a service last Sept and the company has still not collected their bins. Are you suggesting they would be within their rights to charge me for having use of them since Sept ?

You cancelled last sept, so you don't owe any money even if the bins are still not collected.
    The OP did not cancel in September so owes for the service.

As I mentioned above, I only decided the other week that I want to cancel it. The issue here is the €100 I owe for not receiving any service, and that they will keep charging me a monthly fee for the lack of service and will not cancel my account.

The monthly charge is for collection of refuse which they have not been collecting. They have the right to seek any charges up to the time they stopped collecting your rubbish but once they stopped they must stop charging.

foggy_lad wrote: »
    The monthly charge is for collection of refuse which they have not been collecting. They have the right to seek any charges up to the time they stopped collecting your rubbish but once they stopped they must stop charging.

I doubt OP was leaving out the bin for collection.
    If OP left bin out for collection and it was not emptied they should of rang up to complain.

Except there was rubbish to be collected that hasnt been collected since September. This is the €100 I owe. Using your analogy above I didn't actually receive the TV service for the last 4 months.

Thats because you didnt pay your bill though, I assume. You never stated to them that you didnt want the service, therefore the charges would be valid. You can take it whatever way you like, I'm just telling you how a company would see that. If you were running a company and had a customer that never told you they wanted to cancel, didnt pay their recurring charges and then didnt want to pay the arrears, how would you feel?

If I were you I would sign up to the new service then contact the other place in writing and tell them their bins are there to be collected and if not collected in a reasonable time you will hand them to the litter warden, You will have to place the rubbish into your new providers bins.

Yea, it just seems senseless to shell out €100 for a service for the last 3 months that I simply haven't been receiving. I will notify them in writing tomorrow and get in contact with the ombudsman tomorrow, see if they have any advice for me.

Thats because you didnt pay your bill though, I assume. You never stated to them that you didnt want the service, therefore the charges would be valid. You can take it whatever way you like, I'm just telling you how a company would see that. If you were running a company and had a customer that never told you they wanted to cancel, didnt pay their recurring charges and then didnt want to pay the arrears, how would you feel?

eh as a company if I didnt provide the service for 3 months, and they didnt want to pay arrears for services not rendered I would think they are well within their rights.
    I doubt OP was leaving out the bin for collection.
    If OP left bin out for collection and it was not emptied they should of rang up to complain.

The bins stay at the end of my drive always in the same place for collection. I don't move them, there isn't a gate by my drive and they are just at the very end of my drive. They have always been collected from this point previous months.

• Advertisement

Yea, it just seems senseless to shell out €100 for a service for the last 3 months that I simply haven't been receiving. I will notify them in writing tomorrow and get in contact with the ombudsman tomorrow, see if they have any advice for me.

It is not the rubbish collectors fault you didn't bother using his service for the last few months.
    The onus is on you to either use the service or cancel the service.
    You ran up the bill and are liable for it..

It is not the rubbish collectors fault you didn't bother using his service for the last few months.
    So if the ESB cut your service off they can then charge for electricity which you might have used had they been providing the service?

eh as a company if I didnt provide the service for 3 months, and they didnt want to pay arrears for services not rendered I would think they are well within their rights.

The bins stay at the end of my drive always in the same place for collection. I don't move them, there isn't a gate by my drive and they are just at the very end of my drive. They have always been collected from this point previous months.

It does not matter where your bins are kept, it is up to you inform the company you no longer want the service , it is up to you to complain if your bin was not collected when it should of been collected.
    You just don't want to pay the €100 you owe.

The bins were there to be collected. They are still there to be collected with rubbish in them.

You can interpret it as you wish, as I said. I have worked in this type of consumer rights area for many years though, and I'm giving you the interpretation that most companies would make of the situation, as you've explained it. If a customer does not ring to cancel and does not make payments, that does not mean that the account is cancelled. The reason you havent received the service is because your bill wasnt paid - not the fault of the company. The reason you are still being chased is because you didnt cancel it - again not the fault of the company. But as I said, you can take on board what I'm saying, or not. Makes no odds to me.

So if the ESB cut your service off they can then charge for electricity which you might have used had they been providing the service?

The rubbish collector is charging for a service .. its not the company's fault if OP didn't bother using the service.

A better example would be if you joined a gym and signed up for a year membership , its up to you to use the gym either way you still have to pay for the service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

The bins were there to be collected. They are still there to be collected with rubbish in them.
    YOu need to look at the T&Cs of your agreement. The chances are that they won't empty bins if your account is in arrears. Cancellation procedure should also be explained.

Thats a ridiculous comment. If you sign up for a monthly subscription service, dont cancel it, and then complain that you havent had the service because you havent paid your bill, whose fault is that?

YOu need to look at the T&Cs of your agreement. The chances are that they won't empty bins if your account is in arrears. Cancellation procedure should also be explained.

Yea, thats not a bad idea, thanks. There isn't anything on their website for it, so I will call into the office tomorrow and see if they can provide be with a T&C's. This should make it a bit more clear if I cancel my services without paying for services not rendered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Let's see if I have this straight: you were in arrears, and they withheld service by not emptying your bins.

You now want to cancel your arrangement with them, and they want payment of arrears. It seems reasonable that you pay any arrears up to the time they discontinued emptying your bins, and unreasonable if they require payment for the subsequent period.

Advertisement