Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trad guitar: recommended listening?

Options
  • 12-02-2014 12:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭

I'm a guitar player of many years, but am only recently developing an interest in Irish trad guitar styles.

What guitar players/groups/albums would you recommend to listen to?

And any of you who are guitar players, are there any good resources you would particularly recommend for learning the style; books, sites, youtube channels etc?

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,158 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

Check out:
    - Arty McGlynn on this album:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poirt_An_Phiobaire

- Mícheál Ó Domhnaill on anything by the Bothy Band.

Guitar or no guitar you need to listen to the Bothy Band by the way, that's not open for discussion :)

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Bootsy.

Nice one, The Bothy Band sound great, I'll deffo be checking out more of them, thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

Do you play with DADGAD tuning?
    I've seen lessons been given in Comhaltas for DADGAD so the traditionalists must approve

+1. DADGAD or standard tuning, you can't beat a lesson with a pro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

You could also listen to Steve Cooney and Denis Cahill.

Here's what you could achieve

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭pug_

You should listen to some Martin Hayes/Denis Cahill albums to get a good idea how it should be done. The live in Seattle album is particularly good for guitar, some really good stuff in there.

pug_ wrote: »
    You should listen to some Martin Hayes/Denis Cahill albums to get a good idea how it should be done. The live in Seattle album is particularly good for guitar, some really good stuff in there.

I saw them in Vicar Street, that was quite something...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

You could also have a look at the courses here, check out the sample lessons to see what you think:
    http://www.oaim.ie/lessons-a-courses/guitar/dadgad-guitar-accompaniment

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭glord

I do lessons in this style. I do both accompaniment and tune playing on guitar.I am based in Westmeath but also do Skype lessons.

Here is my Youtube Channel.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/TheLordbanjo

Donagh Hennessy is a good player also who I don't think was mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭padraig71

Some good recommendations there. A few other good albums for trad guitar:

Séamus Begley & Steve Cooney - Meitheal
    Paul Brady & Andy Irvine - album of same name
    Arty McGlynn - McGlynn's Fancy

You could also check out John Doyle and Tim Edey on youtube.

If you're into playing the tunes (which I recommend, even if it's only to help your knowledge of them in order to accompany properly), it's worth checking out the flatpicking technique of bluegrass players such as Doc Watson, Tony Rice, Norman Blake. It is usually necessary to shift position a fair bit - the trick is to do it quickly when you have a note on an open string.

If you're into fingerstyle, check out Pierre Bensusan and Tony McMahon.

Re. DADGAD, it's certainly worth getting to know, but rather limiting imo compared to standard tuning. If you want the low D, drop-D is a more versatile compromise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Some of the stuff Paul Brady done in the mid 1970s with Tommy Peoples, Matt Molloy.
    Tony McManus (plays a mixture of Irish and Scottish tunes.)

The first solo record from Arty McGlynn.
    Some of the stuff from Dick Gaughan, he was also the backer on the Boys of the Loughs first album.
    Martin Carthy.
    Danu have a great guitarist in their group.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Advertisement