Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shin Splints?

Options
  • 12-02-2014 12:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭

Hi all,

Did my first race the other day and i've noticed during the race and in training up to it i've been feeling some slight soreness in my shins, which i'm assuming is the early stages of splints.

I've been told by someone that they reckon the way I run my feet make a lot of noise and therefore I am not running properly, which confuses me as I didn't think there was such a thing as not running 'properly'.

Was hoping someone may have some experience of this and be able to point me in the right direction on how to correct this, google is full of varying opinions :eek:
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

While no one can give you medical advice as per the charter this should help point you in the right direction. As mentioned here shin splints is an umbrella term and as such you may find it hard to get to the bottom of the issue without getting it checked out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

ecoli wrote: »
    While no one can give you medical advice as per the charter this should help point you in the right direction. As mentioned here shin splints is an umbrella term and as such you may find it hard to get to the bottom of the issue without getting it checked out.

Looking for advice on this too... book an appointment with a physio? Have only started out and I'm getting a slight soreness up the outside of my left shin.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

Much more helpful than the ignorant responses given to the poster with knee pain

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭bambergbike

Oops69 wrote: »
    Much more helpful than the ignorant responses given to the poster with knee pain

You're not comparing like with like. The shin splints question related to running form. That's a subject runners can advise on competently, one that belongs in a running forum. The knees question was more clearly a medical one and I think it's obvious enough that it would be daft for people (with or without medical training) to offer advice on knee pain without even knowing if the inner or outer side, front or back of the knee is affected. It would do the OP no good at all, quite apart from the legal morass it would create.

Maybe the obvious fact that there are plenty of good legal and medical reasons for not exploring medical questions in a running forum could have been stated more kindly and patiently. But why should people who post inappropriate threads that clearly breach the forum charter have an automatic right to be treated patiently and kindly? They very often are, but it's inevitable that people will give the odd unhelpful response to questions that are phrased in such a way that it just isn't possible to give any helpful response to them.

With respect , both posters were asking for medical advice , shin splints is just as 'medical ' as knee pain , but the knee pain got a typical unhelpful response from a troll , the shin splints got a helpful response

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

but the knee pain got a typical unhelpful response from a troll , the shin splints got a helpful response

Bit harsh maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭TheCoolWay

With respect , both posters were asking for medical advice , shin splints is just as 'medical ' as knee pain , but the knee pain got a typical unhelpful response from a troll , the shin splints got a helpful response

Please stop trolling my thread and throw your toys out of the pram elsewhere

Wasn't aware that you "0wned" the thread , looks like you throw the toys out very regularly , good luck with the friggin shin splits or whatever they are , who cares

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Mod: Folks keep things civil

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭TheCoolWay

Wasn't aware that you "0wned" the thread , looks like you throw the toys out very regularly , good luck with the friggin shin splits or whatever they are , who cares

Thank you for your kind words I hope your knee gets better

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

I always get shin pain, but not as bad now, for me it seems to be about managing it, and not over doing it.

Running with an increased cadence, so I don't heel strike as much has had a positive effect.

Also, strengthening the weaker muscles around my core and hips has helped, but that was really specific to me. May not be an issue for other people with shin issues.

I ditched my supportive/cushioned shoes also this year, for a more neutral pair, and it didn't make things any better or worse.

Advertisement