Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry Camino

Options
  • 12-02-2014 1:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭

The Kerry Camino is a tourist initiative along the Dingle Way between Tralee and Dingle that uses a walkers log book and has stamping stations along the way to mark the walkers progress there is an option to buy a certificate at the end of the walk.

The Kerry Camino Committee are organising a walk on the May Bank holiday (Friday 2nd May to Monday 5th). This is the third year we have run it and it was well attended those 2 years (30-40 walkers).

Any of you guys interested in doing something like this?

Anyone here done the dingle way?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭feck sake lads

sheesh wrote: »
    The Kerry Camino is a tourist initiative along the Dingle Way between Tralee and Dingle that uses a walkers log book and has stamping stations along the way to mark the walkers progress there is an option to buy a certificate at the end of the walk.

The Kerry Camino Committee are organising a walk on the May Bank holiday (Friday 2nd May to Monday 5th). This is the third year we have run it and it was well attended those 2 years (30-40 walkers).

Any of you guys interested in doing something like this?

Anyone here done the dingle way?
    nope done the camino though.:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Just a bug bear, but why call it the Kerry Camino, it's not like we don't have our own language to use to indicate a way, road etc. imagine the Wicklow Camino ? Kerry is full of history that could be delved into for a more apt name ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭The Dagda

nope done the camino though.:cool:

The full thing? How long did it take you to do it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

I would love to do some hut to hut trekking in Ireland if it was on offer. Hard to think of routes that would be remote enough but would offer more than two days walking but I'd love it. But of walking and then retiring to somewhere cosy with decent grub and and drink.

Ok hut to hut might be optimistic, but even if there were routes with lodges / hotels / b and b's on or shortly off them would be great

The Dagda wrote: »
    The full thing? How long did it take you to do it?
    we flu into bilbao and cycled from there , 2 rest days 5 days 100 miles a day.have to say it was the best trip i was ever on ,fantastic scenery great people some really tough climbs but the decents made up for it.ran into a storm on the last day never seen the like of it.

• Advertisement

a148pro wrote: »
    I would love to do some hut to hut trekking in Ireland if it was on offer. Hard to think of routes that would be remote enough but would offer more than two days walking but I'd love it. But of walking and then retiring to somewhere cosy with decent grub and and drink.

Ok hut to hut might be optimistic, but even if there were routes with lodges / hotels / b and b's on or shortly off them would be great
    why not take a tent.:)

http://travellingwheelburys.blogspot.ie/2007/11/camino-cycle-september-2006.html
    this was our camino tour.
    look at all that sunshine thats me posing in blue.:D:D

we flu into bilbao and cycled from there , 2 rest days 5 days 100 miles a day.have to say it was the best trip i was ever on ,fantastic scenery great people some really tough climbs but the decents made up for it.ran into a storm on the last day never seen the like of it.

Cycling the Way of St. James is not really in keeping with the spirit of the pilgrimage, IMO.

It's like going for a nice walk, and taking a shortcut. It kinda misses the whole point.

I'm glad you enjoyed it though.

Cycling the way of st. James is not really in keeping with the spirit of the pilgrimage.

It's like going for a nice walk, and taking a shortcut. It kinda misses the whole point.

god man that's a real christian attude .:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

god man that's a real christian attude .:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Sorry man, no offence meant. It just seems strange to me, cycling a famous walking route.

There must be loads of other specific cycling routes of significance, which would've been more satisfying? Grand Tour stages from both the TdF or the Vuelta?

• Advertisement

no offence taken but believe me when i tell you its no picnic pushing a bike over some really hard cols, you will see on the camino all different kinds of transport to get to the finish:D horses are pretty common donkeys as well loads of cyclists on there fully loaded touring bikes.

personally i wouldn't walk it, you would never cover as much miles for a star., you see a hell of a lot more of the camino by bike ,btw we didnt race this tour we were on the bike for 8 /9 hours every day.
    i'm a cyclist not a walker check out utube cycling the camino you will see ,We are not Alone.

buan camino.;)
    meant to say theres too routes that the vuelta passes over, man there tough we struggled big time you would wonder how these guys ride so fast up mountains.Still great to see famous names painted on the road .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Just a bug bear, but why call it the Kerry Camino, it's not like we don't have our own language to use to indicate a way, road etc. imagine the Wicklow Camino ? Kerry is full of history that could be delved into for a more apt name ?

It is cashing in on the the famous camino. In fairness people doing the Camino Santiago De Compostela used to sail from Dingle To Spain and the St. James church in Dingle was supposed to be built by Spanish Traders who lived in the town. It would have been part of Irish Pilgrims route.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

ThisRegard wrote: »

The Kerry Pub Crawl?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

feargale wrote: »
    The Kerry Pub Crawl?

In fairness to the original comment we are trying to tie in a lot of other heritage aspects like St. Brendan and his pilgrimage on the dingle peninsula with his followers before setting out on his famous voyage. The Route passes close enough to places like ruined village of killelton with its early christian church, Caherconree Fort, Minard Castle and Inch Strand which has Neolithic middens and various standing stones. I think the reasoning was that because we are using a walkers passport and stamping stations like the Camino Santiago De Compostela Also I imagine its got alliteration, everyone loves allitteration :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

why not take a tent.:)

well, being honest with myself, really I just want an excuse for someone else to cook me good grub and serve me nice wine / crafties

a148pro wrote: »
    well, being honest with myself, really I just want an excuse for someone else to cook me good grub and serve me nice wine / crafties
    hah good thinking and a nice end to the day.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Cycling the Way of St. James is not really in keeping with the spirit of the pilgrimage, IMO.

Not true at all. Plenty of people cycle it. I have joint problems so walking it isnt possible but I do hope to cycle it sometime.

true we met loads of cyclists as i said you meet all kinds of pilgrims.

Not true at all. Plenty of people cycle it. I have joint problems so walking it isnt possible but I do hope to cycle it sometime.

What is "not true at all"? :rolleyes: Do you understand what an opinion is?

What is "not true at all"? :rolleyes: Do you understand what an opinion is?

It's not true at all that cycling misses the point. The point is to make a pilgrimage. The nature of how that pilgrimage is made is up to the pilgrim.

No need to get snippy, you were wrong, get over it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

no offence taken but believe me when i tell you its no picnic pushing a bike over some really hard cols, you will see on the camino all different kinds of transport to get to the finish:D horses are pretty common donkeys as well loads of cyclists on there fully loaded touring bikes.

personally i wouldn't walk it, you would never cover as much miles for a star., you see a hell of a lot more of the camino by bike ,btw we didnt race this tour we were on the bike for 8 /9 hours every day.
    i'm a cyclist not a walker check out utube cycling the camino you will see ,We are not Alone.

buan camino.;)
    meant to say theres too routes that the vuelta passes over, man there tough we struggled big time you would wonder how these guys ride so fast up mountains.Still great to see famous names painted on the road .

Curious how do you see a hell of a lot more of the camino by bike, would think you would see as much, and take in alot more walking ??

Walk=15miles a day going well

Cycling== 100 miles a day at a nice gentle pace

figure that one out.:rolleyes:

It's not true at all that cycling misses the point. The point is to make a pilgrimage. The nature of how that pilgrimage is made is up to the pilgrim.

No need to get snippy, you were wrong, get over it.

IMO means "in my opinion".

Your joint problems are the least of your worries if you believe someone's opinion is "not true at all" just because you say so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

Trying... but still does not compute.:confused:

loobylou wrote: »
    Trying... but still does not compute.:confused:

Think of it this way, walking 15 miles a day you see a bit of Dublin in one day. Cycling 100 miles a day you see some of Dublin, some of Wicklow, some of Kildare etc...

You still stop off and appreciate your surroundings when you cycle, I wouldn't be Lance Armstrong myself, more like Mary Poppins, nice slow pace.

The most popular camino route is about 800km long. The walk usually takes about 5 weeks to complete. Of course you could cycle it in 5 days or less, but you will most certainly not see and experience more than a walker would.
    If that were the case you might as well just take a flight along it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

Well you know what you can do with your rolling eyes. And that still dosen't make any sense, you still cover the same amount of distance.

loobylou wrote: »
    The most popular camino route is about 800km long. The walk usually takes about 5 weeks to complete. Of course you could cycle it in 5 days or less, but you will most certainly not see and experience more than a walker would.
    If that were the case you might as well just take a flight along it.

My understanding was that the most popular route was in fact a part of the 800km route. Who gets five weeks off a year?

I think the case is that the experience will be different experiences. Not that one is better than the other. Personally I hate walking but I love lazily cycling along enjoying scenery.

A camino is a pilgrimage route that ends in Santiago. These begin in many parts of Spain , Portugal and beyond.
    What is usually referred to here and elsewhere as "the" camino is just one of those routes, the camino frances, the French Way. The usual start point for this route is on the French side of the Pyrenees although it may start almost anywhere. I have met pilgrims on the French Way who began their walk in Belgium, Denmark etc.
    To receive a compostela (certificate) on completion of the pilgrimage one may have started anywhere but must have walked AT LEAST the last 100km. Therefore many people walk just this part, making it the most popular section of the most popular route.
    AFAIK it is not possible to get a compostela for cycling the 100km, a higher minimum distance is required (maybe 200km?). Many albergues will also give priority to walkers over cyclists so make of that what you will.
    There are plenty of ways of enjoying the camino so each to their own. The only issue I've ever had with cyclists though is the minority who fail to warn you of their approach. Many the fright I've got from cyclists suddenly appearing at my shouder, so if you do do it, use an old fashioned bicycle bell are call out a Buen Camino on approach. Trust me, walkers will appreciate it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

Mod

Let's get back on topic now please and thank you.

Advertisement