Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry Camino

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

I didn't mention you cannot cycle the kerry camino due to the fact it is over walking trails that would be uncomfortable to cycle.

would that be another plus? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭acorn

I walked the Kerry Camino route over two days in June 2012.

Parked in Tralee

Day 1 : Tralee to Dingle Gate hostel (a few kms after Inch) 31km approx
    Day 2 : Dingle Gate Hostel to Dingle (25km approx) then bus back to Tralee

It's well marked and while it has some road sections it also has fairly remote off road stretches. Enjoyed it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

If you want a more 'genuine' Kerry Camino, then I'd suggest Cosán na Naomh or The Saints Road. This runs from Ventry to Ballybrack (16 kilometres) and to do the job properly, finishing on the summit of Mount Brandon. According to the guidebook which was published by the Heritage Council, it's an ancient pilgrim road and has been traversed for centuries..

BarryD wrote: »
    If you want a more 'genuine' Kerry Camino, then I'd suggest Cosán na Naomh or The Saints Road. This runs from Ventry to Ballybrack (16 kilometres) and to do the job properly, finishing on the summit of Mount Brandon. According to the guidebook which was published by the Heritage Council, it's an ancient pilgrim road and has been traversed for centuries..

True, saw that recently and it sounds amazing. they say it might even go back to prechristian times!

in fairness you are comparing a three day level hike with a one day climb up one of the counties tallest mountains with a good run up to it. Last year one of the hikers was legally blind she had a friend to help her, she had one lung :eek: they both completed the 3 days. I find the 3 day hike hard enough so maybe it is a question of fitness levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭danbrosnan

Myself and the girlfriend would love to do this... Count us in...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭denismc

Found this useful website with maps and stuff.
    http://www.kerrycamino.com/

acorn wrote: »
    I walked the Kerry Camino route over two days in June 2012.

Parked in Tralee

Day 1 : Tralee to Dingle Gate hostel (a few kms after Inch) 31km approx
    Day 2 : Dingle Gate Hostel to Dingle (25km approx) then bus back to Tralee

It's well marked and while it has some road sections it also has fairly remote off road stretches. Enjoyed it.

Would love to do this, think I might not be able to move by the time the bus arrives in Tralee :)

With respect to this and other pilgrim trails, worth looking up http://www.pilgrimpath.ie/

Pilgrim Paths Day - April 19th 2014, get your feet toughened up!!

BarryD wrote: »
    With respect to this and other pilgrim trails, worth looking up http://www.pilgrimpath.ie/

Pilgrim Paths Day - April 19th 2014, get your feet toughened up!!

sounds good is there a way to get back from the base of Brandon to ventry?

Would love to do this, think I might not be able to move by the time the bus arrives in Tralee :)

I can't imagine getting beyond camp in 1 day! seriously impressive to do that first day.

• Advertisement

sheesh wrote: »
    sounds good is there a way to get back from the base of Brandon to ventry?

I'd guess so for the day that's in it, but best to check with the organisers!

Seems to be some sort of collective group promoting these 'pilgrim trails' from various parts of the country. Difficult to achieve as they are so spread apart. I put 'pilgrim' in inverted commas as in many cases these routes would have been used for everyday travel on foot as well. So you do have the sense in many places of treading where many people have gone before..

Advertisement