If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Questions about LG NB3530A and Cambridge Audio Minx TV...

Options
  • 12-02-2014 2:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Hi so I was all set on getting the LG NB3530A soundbar from a certain auction site for a mere £140 but by chance while doing some last minute searches on the Audio Minx Tv (mainly where I could actually buy it from online) I came across a thread on here where a richersounds rep suggested to someone that the Audio Minx TV was a better sound solution than the LG NB3530A, my questions with regards to the Audio Minx TV is how powerful is it in comparison to the LG? also how does the bass match up? as there's quite a bit of difference in the wattage between both devices so I am a little hesitant in considering it especially if it's more suited to smaller rooms. Also why does this (Audio Minx) seem so hard to get a hold of online?

And lastly are there any other soundbars you've tested out personally that you'd recommend above the LG NB3530A? around or below the £200 mark? Cheers.

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 17,282 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

Aryn86 wrote: »
    Hi so I was all set on getting the LG NB3530A soundbar from a certain auction site for a mere £140 but by chance while doing some last minute searches on the Audio Minx Tv (mainly where I could actually buy it from online) I came across a thread on here where a richersounds rep suggested to someone that the Audio Minx TV was a better sound solution than the LG NB3530A, my questions with regards to the Audio Minx TV is how powerful is it in comparison to the LG? also how does the bass match up? as there's quite a bit of difference in the wattage between both devices so I am a little hesitant in considering it especially if it's more suited to smaller rooms. Also why does this (Audio Minx) seem so hard to get a hold of online?

And lastly are there any other soundbars you've tested out personally that you'd recommend above the LG NB3530A? around or below the £200 mark? Cheers.
    Hi Aryn86.

They are both different beast.

The LG NB3530 does sound well but after hear both units I would say the Minx TV sounds much much better!
    The Minx TV is a lot more part of the furniture it terms of looks and with a built in subwoofer there is no need for an extra unit to hide.

The built in subwoofer in the Minx really does give good bass for all the size of the unit.

However the Minx TV is out of stock until end of March and the LG NB3530  is now a finished line and we only have the one left which is brand new boxed.

I hope this is of help, any other questions let me know.

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

Aryn86,

many thanks for the post and apologies for the delay getting back to you - thats a great price on the 3530 if its a brand new unit - however the Minx really is an excellent unit - its is much more compact than the 3530 as it has an integrated subwoofer - its really does sound excellent and as I'm sure you are aware What Hifi have given it a 5 star review http://www.whathifi.com/review/minx-tv - this is how What Hi-Fi sum up the Minx TV:

'The Cambridge Audio Minx TV gets it right in its first try. It’s an utterly engaging listen, delivering enthusiasm and subtlety in the same breath – you will definitely want this soundbase in your living room.'

The downside of the Minx and probably the reason its difficult to find online is that it has been a massive sales success and has completely taken Cambridge Audio and ourselves completly by surprise and we are all just out of stock at the moment and unfortunately the latest news is that we wont see decent stocks again until sometime in March - we do have the slightly slicker Denon DHT T100 available which retails everywhere at £249.95 - and in the absence of the Minx we can do at £229.95..

Thanks again and keep us posted,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Aryn86

Hi guys thanks for the replies, just dropping by to update you on how it's been over these last few months...so I ended up going with the LG NB3530A eventually over the Minx TV and must admit aesthetically it fit very nicely with my 42" LG TV (both piano black) the sub was placed out of sight on the side and in terms of performance it was satisfactory...I mean it's good especially when you pushed to slightly louder volumes but overall it was nothing that i'd desrcibe as being 'powerfull' or overly exciting but despite this i'm still satisfied with the purchase overall especially for the price I got it at.

BUT now i'm seriously considering purchasing another soundbar or I should say soundbase for my other room which is actually a smaller room with a smaller TV (currently have a 32" but possibly going up to 39"/40") thing with this room is it offers me more sound isolation so greatly reduces the risk of me annoying people with the volume hence i'm looking at getting something that's got the power and clarity when pushed and all indications seem to be pointing towards the Canton DM50 which is widely praised as being the absolute best soundbase bar none and before I ramble further I just wanted to get your guys take on it since i'm sure you've tested it out. I've heard the Minx Tv compares well against it but I really want something with a display which the Minx is sadly lacking. Also it's 100% a soundbase this time ie no soundbar alternative. Cheers.

Hi guys thanks for the replies, just dropping by to update you on how it's been over these last few months...so I ended up going with the LG NB3530A eventually over the Minx TV and must admit aesthetically it fit very nicely with my 42" LG TV (both piano black) the sub was placed out of sight on the side and in terms of performance it was satisfactory...I mean it's good especially when you pushed to slightly louder volumes but overall it was nothing that i'd desrcibe as being 'powerfull' or overly exciting but despite this i'm still satisfied with the purchase overall especially for the price I got it at.

BUT now i'm seriously considering purchasing another soundbar or I should say soundbase for my other room which is actually a smaller room with a smaller TV (currently have a 32" but possibly going up to 39"/40") thing with this room is it offers me more sound isolation so greatly reduces the risk of me annoying people with the volume hence i'm looking at getting something that's got the power and clarity when pushed and all indications seem to be pointing towards the Canton DM50 which is widely praised as being the absolute best soundbase bar none and before I ramble further I just wanted to get your guys take on it since i'm sure you've tested it out. I've heard the Minx Tv compares well against it but I really want something with a display which the Minx is sadly lacking. Also it's 100% a soundbase this time ie no soundbar alternative. Cheers.

Hi Aryn,

Thanks for getting back to us.

I was thinking the Canton is exactly what you're after before I got to the last paragraph.  I always swore by the Minx TV as a soundbase.  But then the Canton came along, it is a bit more expensive but well worth the extra.  It's giving you same features as the Minx TV with Bluetooth and inputs.  But you're getting more power and much better clarity in my opinion.  

I still think the Minx TV is a fantastic soundbase if you're budget is around the £200 mark then it's defiantly the one to go for.  But if you don't mind then it has to be the Canton hands down.  

Provides excellent low end too, we've had it running with movies and music and it handled both fantastic.  Very clear for vocals and enough bass to have your room bouncing.  Perfect!!  

Chris

Hi Aryn,

I was thinking the Canton is exactly what you're after before I got to the last paragraph.  I always swore by the Minx TV as a soundbase.  But then the Canton came along, it is a bit more expensive but well worth the extra.  It's giving you same features as the Minx TV with Bluetooth and inputs.  But you're getting more power and much better clarity in my opinion.  

I still think the Minx TV is a fantastic soundbase if you're budget is around the £200 mark then it's defiantly the one to go for.  But if you don't mind then it has to be the Canton hands down.  

Provides excellent low end too, we've had it running with movies and music and it handled both fantastic.  Very clear for vocals and enough bass to have your room bouncing.  Perfect!!  

Chris

Thanks for the speedy reply. Yep quite excited by it now, hear highly positive reviews across the board for the DM50 by most accounts it's the holy grail of Sound Bases.

On a side note would you say it's far superior to the NB3530A? oviously I expect it to be better but just trying to gauge by how much. Cheers.

• Advertisement

Hi Aryn,

Chris

Thanks for the speedy reply. Yep quite excited by it now, hear highly positive reviews across the board for the DM50 by most accounts it's the holy grail of Sound Bases.

On a side note would you say it's far superior to the NB3530A? oviously I expect it to be better but just trying to gauge by how much. Cheers.
    Hi again,

I liked the separate sub with the LG soundbars, added a bit more depth to the system.

But, with the Canton you're getting the sub built in so no extra boxes sitting around the place.  Plus it does a very good job for the fact it's built in.  Very impressive indeed.

Really can't fault the Canton.

Chris

Hi guys just another update, i've pulled the trigger after richersounds offered me a great price beat offer on a silver Canton DM50. All in all i've purchased it for £264 which I think is a fantastic price, ideally I wanted a black one but a good £60-70 cheaper i'm very happy with getting the silver one, now just  a few question while i've got your attention;

1. I ordered over the phone earlier today and just an hour or so ago I recieved an invoice/reciept via email confirming my order, now my question is what courier do you guys normally use and when can I expect an actual dispatch? also how long for the delivery on standard orders?

2. In regards to the actual item would you say the best sound quality is definitely via optical connection? as i've seen a the odd person say they get better results with the anolgue connection.

Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Dave

Hi there.

I can't actually see a sale for the Canton on our system. Can I just check if you called our UK guys to place the order and where are you based ?

The optical is generally the only way to connect a TV these days as the analogue connections on a lot of modern TV's have been removed so if it's a TV you are connecting then you may not have a choice. I would always use analogue for audio from the likes of a CD player, audio streamer etc as the output of these is designed to give the best performance when connected using the audio connections.

Hope that helps.

ATB

Dave

Hi there.

I can't actually see a sale for the Canton on our system. Can I just check if you called our UK guys to place the order and where are you based ?

The optical is generally the only way to connect a TV these days as the analogue connections on a lot of modern TV's have been removed so if it's a TV you are connecting then you may not have a choice. I would always use analogue for audio from the likes of a CD player, audio streamer etc as the output of these is designed to give the best performance when connected using the audio connections.

Hope that helps.

ATB

Dave

Hi Dave, yes I ordered over the phone yesterday lunch time i'm in sheffield. Got my receipt emailed to me later in the day confirming my order.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Dave

Hi there, thanks for the reply but I'm still missing the info I need to try to answer your first question.

You must not have placed the order with us in Ireland. You must have placed the order with the UK team. Do you live in Ireland or do you live in the UK mainland ?

Thanks

Dave

• Advertisement

Hi there, thanks for the reply but I'm still missing the info I need to try to answer your first question.

You must not have placed the order with us in Ireland. You must have placed the order with the UK team. Do you live in Ireland or do you live in the UK mainland ?

Thanks

Dave
    Hi i'm assuming it's been processed by the UK team, sorry for the confusion.

Thanks

Dave
    Hi Aryn86.

No problem at all :)

Thanks

Dave
    Hi Aryn86.

Just thought i'd let you know it turned up today, phoned the telesales team earlier this morning asking when I could expect dispatch and they informed it was out for delivery already and 10 mins later here it was!

First of all the bad;

So I got to excitedly unpacking done as I set it up THE HORROR noticed a chip in the silver top near right side just above the front grill...which shows through the wood underneath...it's about 2cm across in size, quite disappointed by it tbh as it's visible even when seated but I moved on with my packaging and set it up....

Now on the positives;

Put in Pacific Rim on Blu ray and watched the first 10 mins.....it sounds INCREDIBLE, Volume set at 55 which is just perfect for that cinema sound experience, the bass was amazingly tight and thudding the type of bass literally everyone could appreciate so powerful and muscular without being silly or boomy, it's amazingly controlled....and tbh I can't even comment on the detail yet as I was blown away by the perfect deep bass.

Overall really looking forward to putting it though some more work, perfect (outside that chip which I plan to fix with a metalic silver paint lol)

Thanks

Dave
    Hi Aryn86.

Just thought i'd let you know it turned up today, phoned the telesales team earlier this morning asking when I could expect dispatch and they informed it was out for delivery already and 10 mins later here it was!

First of all the bad;

So I got to excitedly unpacking done as I set it up THE HORROR noticed a chip in the silver top near right side just above the front grill...which shows through the wood underneath...it's about 2cm across in size, quite disappointed by it tbh as it's visible even when seated but I moved on with my packaging and set it up....

Now on the positives;

Put in Pacific Rim on Blu ray and watched the first 10 mins.....it sounds INCREDIBLE, Volume set at 55 which is just perfect for that cinema sound experience, the bass was amazingly tight and thudding the type of bass literally everyone could appreciate so powerful and muscular without being silly or boomy, it's amazingly controlled....and tbh I can't even comment on the detail yet as I was blown away by the perfect deep bass.

Overall really looking forward to putting it though some more work, perfect (outside that chip which I plan to fix with a metalic silver paint lol)
    Hi Aryn86.

I really do apologies that the unit arrived to you damaged. Our guys in the main UK websales are usually flawless.
    If you contact the web after sales team via the .co.uk website they should arrange for a replacement, as they would not want to see you with a damaged product or an unhappy shopping experience.

No the plus side I'm glad that you are happy with the sound performance.

Let me know if I can help any further.

Hi Aryn86.

I really do apologies that the unit arrived to you damaged. Our guys in the main UK websales are usually flawless.
    If you contact the web after sales team via the .co.uk website they should arrange for a replacement, as they would not want to see you with a damaged product or an unhappy shopping experience.

Hi thanks for the advice, I must admit I did consider getting in touch with them but now the whole thing is pretty much set up and it would be quite a big hassle to try and repackage the unit again etc.

Hi Aryn86.

I hope you have many hours of enjoyment from the new setup.

Should you have any further questions or queries  just let me know.
    Hi Aryn86.

Hi thanks for the advice, I must admit I did consider getting in touch with them but now the whole thing is pretty much set up and it would be quite a big hassle to try and repackage the unit again etc.

Hi Aryn86.

I hope you have many hours of enjoyment from the new setup.

Should you have any further questions or queries  just let me know.
    Hi Aryn86.

Cheers, thanks for all you guys's  (does that make sense? lol) help in this thread especially since you guys probably test lots of different soundbars etc. so won't be blown away by any random soundbar ie you get to give solid advice based on the fact you've heard lots of stuff before.

Will probably stick around and enquire about some solid 40" tv's soon.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.