Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home network

Options
  • 12-02-2014 2:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

I'm starting to try and make a home network/servers and I want to connect two bluray players and a few windows laptops and iPhones to it to stream things off the server what should I use for this I have an old laptop and a 1 tb hdd at my disposal any helps appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭notmymark

Before you buy anything and spend any money try Plex.

Install Plex Server on the old laptop. You can then get Plex Clients for other laptops, iOS, Android, Smart BluRay players and TVs. The Server is totally free and so too are most of the Clients (Android and iOS costs a few euro).

Assuming everything is on the same network it will take you all of a few minutes to set up. Basically once the server is installed plug in the hard drive and tell Plex to look there. Go onto a client and enjoy!!! The server is always running in the background so as long as your laptop is turned on you can enjoy it from the other devices.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭notmymark

I was assuming everything was already networked but reading your post again I’m not too sure. I can offer more advice if needed!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭spudato7

thanks so much ive been looking for ages and thats sorted now except it has all the videos in a certain format is there anyway to change it to mp4?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

spudato7 wrote: »
    thanks so much ive been looking for ages and thats sorted now except it has all the videos in a certain format is there anyway to change it to mp4?

You could try and transcode the media files on the fly from the Plex server. Depending on the original files you made need a fairly beefy PC/laptop to do this smoothly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭spudato7

degsie wrote: »
    You could try and transcode the media files on the fly from the Plex server. Depending on the original files you made need a fairly beefy PC/laptop to do this smoothly.

I got it working now it's all good thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭gomamochi1

Sorry in advance for hijacking your post but I am doing the same. Ran cat 6 cable over gaff from modem in hall to a gigabyte switch however having hassle with the cable connectors. Don't seem to be active in the switch as I thought it would be. Running a fritzbox with bb pure class but would this be possibly restricting me? Cheers

Advertisement