Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda Recruitment - Stage 1a(2) - The Aptitude Test Results thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Lady Kitkat103

kceire wrote: »
    Sometime these 'wasters' just need a kick in the right direction to settle and progress in their chosen career. Just because she don't better in an exam than you doesn't mean she won't be just as good or even better a cop than you.

Best of luck either way.

I don't Think Shannon meant anything bad by it... But there were a few people on this that said they did it because there friends did it or for the laugh... which even annoys me! I have always wanted to be a guard since as long as I can remember... having grown up with a family of guards... Its just a tad annoying when someone writes stuff like that.

and your right maybe they do need a kick in the right direction but there taking up spaces for the likes of me and you (sorry I dont know what you got) in band 2 I could have made band 1 I was close enough. But that person has taken it up...

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭galalala123

I don't Think Shannon meant anything bad by it... But there were a few people on this that said they did it because there friends did it or for the laugh... which even annoys me! I have always wanted to be a guard since as long as I can remember... having grown up with a family of guards... Its just a tad annoying when someone writes stuff like that.

and your right maybe they do need a kick in the right direction but there taking up spaces for the likes of me and you (sorry I dont know what you got) in band 2 I could have made band 1 I was close enough. But that person has taken it up...

It's unfortunate for all those who bust their chops trying to get in but its always been that way. A large anount of the force fell into the job or just applied for the sake and got it. Nothing we can do about it will always happen and its only fair that we all had equal chances!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 AmiBear

For those who were lucky enough to make band one what does stage 2 involve for ye nxt week?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭boomkatalog

Verbal reasoning and locical reasoning tests next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭KCC

I got it the top 3000. Just wondering, did any else find the practice tests for stage 2 to be difficult? I tried them just now and only got 19/30 correct in the Verbal Reasoning and 11/30 in the Inductive Reasoning.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 ftm

Got into band 1.

Delighted. Thought I fecked up with time and had basically thrown away my chances. Was very upset the day I did them.
    This is something I've always wanted to do. I was afraid I'd miss out on this opportunity because I'm expecting my first baby in two weeks.But with encouragement from my boyfriend I secretly applied.
    Will see how far I get but even this has given me a confidence boost

I know alot of you will think I'm mad. But will work out the more practical stuff on the off chance I get further. Didn't want to hold myself back. And want to better myself for my baby.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 ppaddy

Best of luck to one and all, may the gods be with you #:}

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Neddieog

KCC wrote: »
    I got it the top 3000. Just wondering, did any else find the practice tests for stage 2 to be difficult? I tried them just now and only got 19/30 correct in the Verbal Reasoning and 11/30 in the Inductive Reasoning.

Where can you practice?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭billie1b

Neddieog wrote: »
    Where can you practice?

If you're in band 1 there was a link supplied with the results

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Devil08

ftm wrote: »
    Got into band 1.

Delighted. Thought I fecked up with time and had basically thrown away my chances. Was very upset the day I did them.
    This is something I've always wanted to do. I was afraid I'd miss out on this opportunity because I'm expecting my first baby in two weeks.But with encouragement from my boyfriend I secretly applied.

I know alot of you will think I'm mad. But will work out the more practical stuff on the off chance I get further. Didn't want to hold myself back. And want to better myself for my baby.

Fair play, big sacrifice that if you get in. I want the job a lot but I couldn't leave a new baby for 8 months!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 hopefull2014

ftm wrote: »
    Got into band 1.

fair play, it will be hard leaving the baby but it will be worth it in the long run, if you get it its an opportunity that might not come up again and its securing a future for your baby so be proud of that and remember you are doing it for the baby as well as yourself!

Devil08 wrote: »
    Fair play, big sacrifice that if you get in. I want the job a lot but I couldn't leave a new baby for 8 months!

That's the only thing I'm really struggling with. I don't think I'll make it past the next round or interviews. We'll deal with all that if we come to it.

fair play, it will be hard leaving the baby but it will be worth it in the long run, if you get it its an opportunity that might not come up again and its securing a future for your baby so be proud of that and remember you are doing it for the baby as well as yourself!
    That was my fear of missing out and the opportunity not coming up again. took a lot of convincing to apply. We'll see how things go.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 dkg93

On the test I have been doing it is only 18 questions for the inductive reasoning and it doesn't give me the number I got correct or incorrect just a proficiency score?

dkg93 wrote: »
    On the test I have been doing it is only 18 questions for the inductive reasoning and it doesn't give me the number I got correct or incorrect just a proficiency score?

I thought it was 30 questions, but you're probably right. I'm doing the practice tests in the link provided in the message saying I got into Group 1.

Did you find the practice tests hard?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭rocky911

Ya Im hitting 68 or 69 percentile in verbal and 2.98 in proficiency in the other exam...any feedback on this please :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 26 dkg93

Not hard, just a bit different. No idea rocky tbh, I'd love to know what the proficiency score means in terms of percentile or how many we got correct.

dkg93 wrote: »
    Not hard, just a bit different. No idea rocky tbh, I'd love to know what the proficiency score means in terms of percentile or how many we got correct.

It definitely told me the number of correct and incorrect. Going to try it again and will let ye know.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 kieronmc

Didn't receive a text message or an e-mail which worries me slightly. Fortunately i have been checking this website every few days.

Placed in band 2 - just short of the 5000 mark which is disappointing.

I won't be holding my breath.

Best of luck to those who are entering stage two!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭rocky911

It definitely told me the number of correct and incorrect. Going to try it again and will let ye know.

Think thats just in the verbal reasoning though..

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Kaffy

Band 1 thank f**k :)
    Got my results in a hotel lobby on my own trying not to jump around like a mad thing!
    Finally back in my apartment and able to catch up on boards :)
    Best of luck to all bands xx
    Keep trying to everyone - you never know what the future holds!

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭want2b

How is everyone getting on with these practice tests for stage 2?

want2b wrote: »
    How is everyone getting on with these practice tests for stage 2?

Not too bad, you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭mrDerek

my best was 3.02 i wish they gave you feedback a few of the questions repeat and iv no idea if they are right or what the rules are for some of them

billie1b wrote: »
    Not too bad, you?

Ok I guess but I would be happier to be getting better than I am so I guess its just keep at them and hopefully get better.

• Advertisement

Ok I guess but I would be happier to be getting better than I am so I guess its just keep at them and hopefully get better.

I think the actual tests will be slightly easier

Hopefully but for stage 1 it was not easier than the practice one's.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Archer3083

I think the emphasis this time will be on accuracy. We have more time to do each question, and while it's great not to have negative marking, the big draw back is that once you select an answer and move onto the next question you can't go back again. So, it's going to be a bit of a gamble in the real test. The big question will be, do I cut my losses and move onto the next question, hoping that more suitable questions will come your way, or do you persevere, cos if you guess and move on, it's as good as losing one point straight away. The opposite is that you could spend loads of time on a question and still not get it right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Hopefully but for stage 1 it was not easier than the practice one's.

I thought the verbal reasoning in the actual test was easier than the practice ones.

I'm pretty sure I read in the handbook for Stage 2 that the actual test will be harder than the practice ones. I'll have a look again later :)

Archer3083 wrote: »
    I think the emphasis this time will be on accuracy. We have more time to do each question, and while it's great not to have negative marking, the big draw back is that once you select an answer and move onto the next question you can't go back again. So, it's going to be a bit of a gamble in the real test. The big question will be, do I cut my losses and move onto the next question, hoping that more suitable questions will come your way, or do you persevere, cos if you guess and move on, it's as good as losing one point straight away. The opposite is that you could spend loads of time on a question and still not get it right.

Are you scoring good? What is the average score for people?

• Advertisement

I don't know what the average is but some times I'm getting up to advanced which is 3.51-4.5. I'm focusing more on learning the rules though than scoring at the moment

I don't know what the average is but some times I'm getting up to advanced which is 3.51-4.5. I'm focusing more on learning the rules though than scoring at the moment

Sometimes my brain just fries and I cant figure out the rule.

I know, but I just keep at it til I figure it out. It helps to take a break and come back fresh.

I know, but I just keep at it til I figure it out. It helps to take a break and come back fresh.

Yeah I did that today, stopped last night and haven't even turned on the computer yet today

I think sometimes if you take a break and relax for a few hours, the answers will come easier to you the next time. It's almost as if you're brain is working in the background while you're focusing on telly or out for a walk

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scouser

site is down for maintenance now!

Scouser wrote: »
    site is down for maintenance now!

That is great timing

That is great timing

god forbid we'd be taking all this seriously

It won't be available again til 11:00pm tonight. It's ridiculous! I guess that means we have to watch the Chelsea v City game now, and will have to watch the national hurling league games later as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭ann.lewis

Guys,
    is it really down ? Poops. I was gonna spend a bit of time on it this evening but 11 is too late for me.

Im at home with a bit of a dose...I'd say ive man flu but err im not a man !! So while I was sneezing away in the early hours of this morning and struggling to sleep, I went way back to the beginning of this forum and had a good read of the old threads. Some great info and tips for the shapes. Remember they used to be in stage 1 years ago ? Analytical reasoning it was called then. They are tricky but once you get a feel for them you can spot whats going on fairly quickly.

• Advertisement

Yeah, it says on the site that it's down for essential maintenance til 11:00pm, but sure it might be worth checking it every hour or so in case it comes back quicker. I doubt it is essential maintenance. I'd imagine there are high numbers practicing today and that prob made their server crash.

. I doubt it is essential maintenance.

prob is

and what a perfect time to do it - saturday night

surely to god theres no losers sitting in practicing.......... :p

I think the vast majority of us will be living a very sad life this weekend. It's prob cos loads are off work and want the weekend to practice. There's not much time between now and next Friday. It has to be done by then. I didn't have any electricity until yesterday so only started practicing last night. I hope there are no storms or power cuts until after this test is completed! None of us are going to have the perfect preparation, something will always come up, no point getting too stressed. The important thing is to get the head down and do as well as you can do no matter what the circumstances are. That's all you can do. I know a few said that they didn't do any prep work for the first tests. You just don't know who is telling the truth. I think it's definitely better to prepare. Remember what Roy Keane said, 'Fail to prepare, prepare to fail'.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭ann.lewis

Well that's just fantastic. Yip.. its down till 23.00. Really ? Darn. Awh well.. always tomorrow then.
    I'll read the familiarisation material in detail then do the tests tomorrow.

Did you guys have a go of them already ? Are they weird ? :/

ann.lewis wrote: »
    Well that's just fantastic. Yip.. its down till 23.00. Really ? Darn. Awh well.. always tomorrow then.
    I'll read the familiarisation material in detail then do the tests tomorrow.

Did you guys have a go of them already ? Are they weird ? :/

Yea I did, both tests twice, the verbal is as normal, the annoying thing for me on it is the writing is tiny and I find it hard to read like that but my average is 20/30 correct. The other test i'm finding the rule hard to find, i'm averaging between 2.9 and 3.1 on that, not happy with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Devil08

Says in the info book that you can expect them to be harder!

Devil08 wrote: »
    Says in the info book that you can expect them to be harder!

Bóllóx to that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭mrDerek

Yea I did, both tests twice, the verbal is as normal, the annoying thing for me on it is the writing is tiny and I find it hard to read like that but my average is 20/30 correct. The other test i'm finding the rule hard to find, i'm averaging between 2.9 and 3.1on that, not happy with that.

im the same some of them look like they literally have no rules
    i also find it a bit hard to believe that somebody got 3.50+
    that star of david question with the shapes in it gets me everytime

mrDerek wrote: »
    im the same some of them look like they literally have no rules
    i also find it a bit hard to believe that somebody got 3.50+
    that star of david question with the shapes in it gets me everytime

Of the very little of it that I have, I was pulling my hair out

• Advertisement

When I started doing them last night I was getting 2.9 -3.3, and then little by little I started improving, you do improve with practice. That's what it's all about practice. It will be different for everyone, but when it clicks with you it will make complete sense, it just takes time.

Advertisement