Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda Recruitment - Stage 1a(2) - The Aptitude Test Results thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭thestar

You'll end up like that too :P

Especially when you can't get peace to have a proper meal! After a while that gets to you and i imagine you just go with the quickest food option...Takeaways!

It's all excuses and laziness, I had a good laugh at this when it came out a few months back when recruitment started

http://waterfordwhispersnews.com/2013/12/12/thousands-of-thick-ignorant-culchies-expected-to-show-interest-in-garda-recruit-jobs/

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Tommy_utd16

thestar wrote: »
    The fitness test was and still is a joke..Some of the obese Gardai are a disgrace to the force but its the same with every profession I suppose

Bad mouthing an organisation it's staff and resources which you aspire to join, you would want to have a rethink on that you clown!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,807 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Moderator post:

Infracted for personal abuse. Name-calling is not permitted on any boards.ie forum. Since this comment has received Moderator attention, no further comments are permitted on this post itself, or on this advisory post.

Back on-topic please and thanks.

-Shield.

Bad mouthing an organisation it's staff and resources which you aspire to join, you would want to have a rethink on that you clown!

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭mycro89

Is it possible that people will fail stage 2?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

mycro89 wrote: »

In my opinion, yes. However, I haven't a clue how many

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 hopefull2014

yes i would think so. im thinking they have a certain score you need to get llike stage 1.

I just can't see how the assessment center is going to work, what I envisage happening at the next stage is that all candidates must score above a specified score. I don't think anybody will be cut unless they can somehow prove that somebody was cheating. We will say for arguments sake that they take 2500 to the centers. I think that the score of the 2500th candidate will be the medium that people will have to reach. They cant just say to somebody, "you got 89% at home and only 60% here, your cut, but its OK for Johnny that he got 60% he's going onto the next stage because that's what he got at home." Basically I don't think PAS care if you are the highest scoring candidate or the last man the got in, they are just going to make sure that you are at a certain standard.

In any case I think that they can most definitely not prove that somebody cheated. My scores always fluctuated significantly from test to test, people have off days.

Does anybody agree with my summary about what I think will happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Devil08

Does anybody agree with my summary about what I think will happen?

They won't cut you if your scores don't match up. Everyone will get different scores. It's natural that they will fluctuate. But if there is a very big difference they will question it. They may get you to take a couple more tests to prove yourself. If you do 3 or 4 tests and they are all well below your online scores then bye bye ! cheater cheater pumpkin eater!

Devil08 wrote: »
    They won't cut you if your scores don't match up. Everyone will get different scores. It's natural that they will fluctuate. But if there is a very big difference they will question it. They may get you to take a couple more tests to prove yourself. If you do 3 or 4 tests and they are all well below your online scores then bye bye ! cheater cheater pumpkin eater!

Whats well below though?! my scores could easily dip by 30%,

What are peoples opinions on what will happen or has anybody heard anything?

• Advertisement

You are asking for factual answers on something that none of us know, all we can do is give opinions, many of which will be wrong, including my own.

I clearly asked for opinions above..

I clearly asked for opinions above..

Clearly my post was in relation to your previous post, the one I quoted.

They shouldn't. They test your aptitude. Your aptitude shouldn't change ! It's can improve slightly with practice tests but your aptitude can't simply drop by 30%.
    The difficulty of the tests should be the same standard again

• Registered Users Posts: 17 ftm

So we have no idea when we'll get results??
    No idea how many will be cut(if any)??
    the next stage will be assessment centres? ?
    Do we know what happens after that?
    You think they'd give a bit more information. Even a rough estimate. Is there any reason why they don't? ??

Anyone who was in band 1 who failed to complete the tests do you think they offered people in band 2 the opportunity. I doubt there was many but still only seems fair?

I'm very worried about the fitness test. Anyone any idea what it entails. Or roughly how far away it will be? As soon as this babies born and I'm able I will start building up my fitness again. But if it's in the next few weeks I'm screwed :-p

ftm wrote: »
    You think they'd give a bit more information. Even a rough estimate. Is there any reason why they don't? ??

Anyone who was in band 1 who failed to complete the tests do you think they offered people in band 2 the opportunity. I doubt there was many but still only seems fair?

I'm very worried about the fitness test. Anyone any idea what it entails. Or roughly how far away it will be? As soon as this babies born and I'm able I will start building up my fitness again. But if it's in the next few weeks I'm screwed :-p

Results are due mid March

• Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭ShodenMcClane

Just basing this on the speed of things so far but I would be very surprised if the fitness test was before mid April.

Just basing this on the speed of things so far but I would be very surprised if the fitness test was before mid April.

I'd be surprised too. They'll need to give people time to get off work etc for the supervised assessment so I can't see that happening till the very end of March or early April at the earliest, then wait for results and get called for the interview. It's a long way to the fitness test

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭want2b

Results by mid march.
    Those who fail will be cut.
    Yes next stage is centre.
    Its interview stage after that.

One of the main companies that run garda entry courses told me that the ESB recruitment process included an online element like out but that only one in 3 were called to the assessment centre

• Advertisement

One of the main companies that run garda entry courses told me that the ESB recruitment process included an online element like out but that only one in 3 were called to the assessment centre

ESB is a little different to the gardai!
    I doubt they have the same recruitment process.

ESB is a little different to the gardai!
    I doubt they have the same recruitment process.

Both full of live wires..

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scouser

Both full of live wires..

good few bright sparks in there

I know its totally different but its still rum by PAS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

I know its totally different but its still rum by PAS

Aye, the questionnaire and aptitude tests have been similar to the civil service campaign run towards the end of last year.

well they told me that only 1 in 3 were called to the center, be nice to get straight to an interview

well they told me that only 1 in 3 were called to the center, be nice to get straight to an interview

Oh I misunderstood. Stupid baby brain. You mean 1 in 3 of successful applicants were called to the centre the rest went straight through to interviews???
    Thats not very fair either.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Archer3083

I'd say that PAS are pretty much just making it up as they go along. It's been 6 years since the last recruitment campaign, and I'd say they're just moving ahead with the times by using online assessments. Maybe it might be a random 1 out of every 3 that will get called to the assessment centre but I doubt that. I'd say everyone will have to go in and prove that their results are genuine. That would be the fairest way to do things.

Archer3083 wrote: »
    I'd say that PAS are pretty much just making it up as they go along. It's been 6 years since the last recruitment campaign, and I'd say they're just moving ahead with the times by using online assessments. Maybe it might be a random 1 out of every 3 that will get called to the assessment centre but I doubt that. I'd say everyone will have to go in and prove that their results are genuine. That would be the fairest way to do things.

Does anyone know if they used the bands system before and if they progressed any further beyond band 1?

• Advertisement

From what I can tell there was no band system before. You either passed or failed the aptitude. If you passed you moved on! This time, it's not enough to pass, you have to achieve a certain result in the tests. This is all due to supply and demand. There are so many people applying for the guards that they have to do something like this to reduce the number

The crowd that selected the "Garda trainee with fluency in Irish" are doing the Stage 2 aptitude tests between noon on Tuesday 25th til noon on Friday 28th. It doesn't seem to matter if they finished in Band 2 or Band 3. All of them are getting the chance to do the tests.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Canyon86

Archer3083 wrote: »
    The crowd that selected the "Garda trainee with fluency in Irish" are doing the Stage 2 aptitude tests between noon on Tuesday 25th til noon on Friday 28th. It doesn't seem to matter if they finished in Band 2 or Band 3. All of them are getting the chance to do the tests.

Hardly fair on others in band 2 and 3 in my opinion,

I guess they have quotas to fill I guess so maybe that's why,
    In any case good luck to them
    What you reckon ?

Canyon86 wrote: »
    Hardly fair on others in band 2 and 3 in my opinion,

I guess they have quotas to fill I guess so maybe that's why,
    In any case good luck to them
    What you reckon ?
    I don't think that the process in general is fair. I've also selected "Gárda trainee with fluency in Irish", for obvious reasons but I was in Band 1. I think everyone has strengths and weaknesses. And at different stages of the process, those strengths or talents will be helpful. For instance, I think reserves will prob have an advantage at interview stage. More naturally fit and athletic people will have an advantage with the physical competency test etc.

I suppose I would like to say that it must be particularly difficult for people who have always dreamed of becoming a guard but fail this time because of the numbers. This campaign has attracted people who would not normally want to become a guard, but they're going for it because they can't get a job they want in their dream occupation.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭OscarWhiskey

Could be completely wrong here lads but having read the email from publicjobs again last night I get the feeling that those of us who score highest (in stage 2) will be brought to supervised centres in batches.

Taken from PJ email: 'Those to be invited to Stage 3 (Assessment Centre) will be called on the basis of their results at Stage 2.'

Possibly a few dates for the assessment centre?

Apologies beforehand if I've breached any policy with the above quote. (newb)

t I get the feeling that those of us who score highest (in stage 2) will be brought to supervised centres in batches.

contender for post of 'stating the bleedin obvious' of the year!

welcome to boards ;)

• Advertisement

Haha fair enough!...

I was under the illusion before I reread the email that we'd be called to the test centre all on the same date. My bad!

Haha fair enough!...

I was under the illusion before I reread the email that we'd be called to the test centre all on the same date. My bad!

no no nothing like that

stage 3 will be drip fed from stage 2

they couldnt handle thousands in chapter house in the one go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 205 ✭✭Shifty13

Scouser wrote: »
    no no nothing like that

stage 3 will be drip fed from stage 2

they couldnt handle thousands in chapter house in the one go

Chapter House can hold between 50-60 people per sitting.

they could easily do 150 people per day, in 2 hour blocks with an hour gap.

So in 1 week they have 750 people ready for interview!

Few Guards I know did it in Neptune Stadium in Cork, its a basketball court so could hold a good bit. Be interesting to see how everything unfolds. Be a balls to go to Dublin, from Cork for the sake of an aptitude test that I've done twice online. Small sacrifice I suppose...

Few Guards I know did it in Neptune Stadium in Cork, its a basketball court so could hold a good bit. Be interesting to see how everything unfolds. Be a balls to go to Dublin, from Cork for the sake of an aptitude test that I've done twice online. Small sacrifice I suppose...

that was the old days - paper tests

• Advertisement

Could be completely wrong here lads but having read the email from publicjobs again last night I get the feeling that those of us who score highest (in stage 2) will be brought to supervised centres in batches.

Taken from PJ email: 'Those to be invited to Stage 3 (Assessment Centre) will be called on the basis of their results at Stage 2.'

Possibly a few dates for the assessment centre?

Apologies beforehand if I've breached any policy with the above quote. (newb)

So basically the first 400 could be called one day, 400 the next day and so on until they get through everybody?

In the past, you called up to book your date and time for assessment centre. Few dates and times to pick from

In the past, you called up to book your date and time for assessment centre. Few dates and times to pick from

More than likely they will give you a date and a time and you can change if needs be.

they may have local assessment centres but i doubt it. more than likely we'll all have to go to Chapter House for the assessment.

Shifty13 wrote: »
    More than likely they will give you a date and a time and you can change if needs be.

they may have local assessment centres but i doubt it. more than likely we'll all have to go to Chapter House for the assessment.

Everyone went to chapter house last time regardless of where from. The last time I was there I was talkin to a lad from Kerry who drive up, did the test and went straight back home. (In his tractor)

Everyone went to chapter house last time regardless of where from. The last time I was there I was talkin to a lad from Kerry who drive up, did the test and went straight back home. (In his tractor)

thankfully chapter house have designated parking for farming machinary

A lot of carts being put before the horses here lads....

A lot of carts being put before the horses here lads....

they have a horse stable too at chapter house

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭fergie199

I know those who score highest in stage 2 will be invited in batches to do a supervised test but my question is what of those who do not fall into this (Highest scoring) category, are they eliminated? or are they simply to be used as reserves for those who don't progress all the way?

fergie199 wrote: »
    I know those who score highest in stage 2 will be invited in batches to do a supervised test but my question is what of those who do not fall into this (Highest scoring) category, are they eliminated? or are they simply to be used as reserves for those who don't progress all the way?

More than likely eliminated, that's how the competition works. you have 1 shot!

Scouser wrote: »
    they have a horse stable too at chapter house

Barely room for the brass monkeys to take a piss outside the place!

• Advertisement
Advertisement