Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda Recruitment - Stage 1a(2) - The Aptitude Test Results thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Archer3083

Few Guards I know did it in Neptune Stadium in Cork, its a basketball court so could hold a good bit. Be interesting to see how everything unfolds. Be a balls to go to Dublin, from Cork for the sake of an aptitude test that I've done twice online. Small sacrifice I suppose...
    I've heard rumours that Neptune might be used as an assessment centre this time. I wouldn't be sure of those rumours though, but you never know. If PAS were going to allow big numbers to sit supervised tests then it might make sense to use regional centres. At least that way, everyone could do the same tests at the same time. Also, I reckon Neptune in Cork could cope with 300-500. There's also the Mardyke in Cork that could be used to bolster numbers. Cork could easily cater for 500-750. I'm sure Galway, Limerick and Dublin could cope with similar numbers. I'm being optimistic, because if they use Chapter House, then I couldn't see large numbers of people going through from Stage 1 to Stage 2.

It would be a balls for anyone outside the capital to have to go to Dublin just for an aptitude test. These aptitude tests have been stressful enough without a 3-4 hour commute, and/or staying the night beforehand etc.

As far as I know the physical competency and interviews were done in Templemore the last time, but I'm open to correction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭ShodenMcClane

So, stage 3 is supervised, we all know that, but does anyone know if it is a paper exam or done on a computer?

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scouser

Archer3083 wrote: »

As far as I know the physical competency and interviews were done in Templemore the last time, but I'm open to correction.

interviews are PAS so therefore its chapter house

PCT is garda

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 205 ✭✭Shifty13

I've heard rumours that Neptune might be used as an assessment centre this time. I wouldn't be sure of those rumours though, but you never know. If PAS were going to allow big numbers to sit supervised tests then it might make sense to use regional centres. At least that way, everyone could do the same tests at the same time. Also, I reckon Neptune in Cork could cope with 300-500. There's also the Mardyke in Cork that could be used to bolster numbers. Cork could easily cater for 500-750. I'm sure Galway, Limerick and Dublin could cope with similar numbers. I'm being optimistic, because if they use Chapter House, then I couldn't see large numbers of people going through from Stage 1 to Stage 2.

It would be a balls for anyone outside the capital to have to go to Dublin just for an aptitude test. These aptitude tests have been stressful enough without a 3-4 hour commute, and/or staying the night beforehand etc.

More than likely its going to be done in Chapter house. Why, you ask.

1. Building is government owned so they do not have to rent out large arenas like Croke park or the RDS. (Saving Money)
    2. Staff are already in the building, so no mileage costs or extra staff hiring to supervise a large arena. (Saving Money)

Moral of the story, Government want to save money.

Shifty13 wrote: »

this should be in the back of your head when questioning anything to do with this recruitment drive!

More than likely its going to be done in Chapter house. Why, you ask.

1. Building is government owned so they do not have to rent out large arenas like Croke park or the RDS. (Saving Money)
    2. Staff are already in the building, so no mileage costs or extra staff hiring to supervise a large arena. (Saving Money)

I'll take it for granted you know more than me. Can you see PAS calling large numbers to that venue? I can't see all 5,000 from Band 1 going there to sit aptitude tests. It's possible but it would be a very drawn out process.

I'll take it for granted you know more than me. Can you see PAS calling large numbers to that venue? I can't see all 5,000 from Band 1 going there to sit aptitude tests. It's possible but it would be a very drawn out process.

well for a start 5000 people are not going to emerge from stage 2

numbers WILL be cut

the remaining candidates with be put forward based on order of merit in order to sit a supervised test

there will not be thousands doing any stage after stage 2

think hundreds for stage 3 and beyond

small, quality numbers

if you have a look at my previous posts you will see that chapter house can hold 50-60 people. so they could roughly do 150 per day.

in 2 weeks there will be enough people to interview from. and will call the rest when needs be

Scouser wrote: »

numbers WILL be cut

the remaining candidates with be put forward based on order of merit in order to sit a supervised test

small, quality numbers
    I think numbers will be cut too. If not permanently, then definitely temporarily. By that I mean, that an initial 1,500 or 2,000 will go forward for Stage 3, maybe even less. And the rest of the 5,000 will be left stuck in limbo, not knowing what their fate will be. This is all speculation, and it's only my opinion. I have no inside information.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭mycro89

numbers WILL be cut

small, quality numbers

Prediction on what will emerge from stage 2?

Prediction on the number that will be elimated from the process?

I think numbers will be cut too. If not permanently, then definitely temporarily. By that I mean, that an initial 1,500 or 2,000 will go forward for Stage 3, maybe even less. And the rest of the 5,000 will be left stuck in limbo, not knowing what their fate will be. This is all speculation, and it's only my opinion. I have no inside information.

those who fail will be told - goodbye

those that remain, will be fed into stage 3 on order of merit and in small numbers

this is where a panel is formed

and they pick and pluck from there

if you have a look at my previous posts you will see that chapter house can hold 50-60 people. so they could roughly do 150 per day.

in 2 weeks there will be enough people to interview from. and will call the rest when needs be
    If it can hold 50-60 a time. And if the aptitude tests last 1 hour max, which is more than what we've been used to in Stage 1 and Stage 2, then they could cope with more than 150 per day. But forget about what is possible, I can't see any more than 1,500 or 2,000 progressing to Stage 3. I'm not at all confident that I'd get up that high either, so I'm not very optimistic myself.

Prediction: Max 2,000 progress to Stage 3. I think the remainder will be on standby so to speak. I don't see that many failing or being completely eliminated.

mycro89 wrote: »
    Prediction on what will emerge from stage 2?

Prediction on the number that will be elimated from the process?

50% would be my guess at elimination

if theres 150 places in the college up for grabs, then id take a guess at 600 going into stage 3

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭OscarWhiskey

If they're taking on 900 over the next 3 years, and using this recruitment drive, then the numbers going to stage 3 will surely be quite large (probably wishful thinking on my behalf).

My guess: Band 1: 2500/3000 will be drip-fed into stage 3 over the next few months. 900 jobs, 5000 candidates at this stage, wouldn't make much sense eliminating too many people. What would be the point of accepting 1000 candidates to stage 3 when they've the long term target of fulfilling 900 vacancies.

I think this makes the most sense.

Thats my useless two cents anyway, I might be missing something here btw, not even sure if the 900 figure is official or just rumour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭ShodenMcClane

So, stage 3 is supervised, we all know that, but does anyone know if it is a paper exam or done on a computer?

Sorry, this got lost in all the talk of numbers.

Anyone know?

• Advertisement

If they're taking on 900 over the next 3 years, and using this recruitment drive, then the numbers going to stage 3 will surely be quite large (probably wishful thinking on my behalf).

My guess: Band 1: 2500/3000 will be drip-fed into stage 3 over the next few months. 900 jobs, 5000 candidates at this stage, wouldn't make much sense eliminating too many people. What would be the point of accepting 1000 candidates to stage 3 when they've the long term target of fulfilling 900 vacancies.

I think this makes the most sense.

Thats my useless two cents anyway.
    I'd be inclined to agree with you long term. Short term, I think fewer will get through to Stage 3 this time. I can't see that many people being eliminated yet, especially when they haven't eliminated anyone from Band 2 and Band 3. PAS are really keeping their options open.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭OscarWhiskey

Sorry, this got lost in all the talk of numbers.

Anyone know?

Be interesting to see. Paper is traditional but costs money (supplies, correcting etc). Doubt that PAS could accommodate candidates with computers at the centers either...

Be interesting to see. Paper is traditional but costs money (supplies, correcting etc). Doubt that PAS could accommodate candidates with computers at the centers either...
    Remember the fiasco with the voting machines. Would anyone trust the Govt to get it right when it comes to technology! :D I've looked back at the material supplied. It doesn't specify if it's paper or computer for Stage 3. I'd guess paper

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Malarkey101

Its been on computers for the last few other campaigns, (cadets, emergency services controller, medical controller)

they have a huge room with 50-60 computers in it already. (was there before)

• Advertisement

Its been on computers for the last few other campaigns, (cadets, emergency services controller, medical controller)
    That answers that! Computers it is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

I'd be inclined to agree with you long term. Short term, I think fewer will get through to Stage 3 this time. I can't see that many people being eliminated yet, especially when they haven't eliminated anyone from Band 2 and Band 3. PAS are really keeping their options open.

Yup.

One theory might be that they will interview 1000-1200 this year (for 300 available positions), 1200 next year (for 300+ available positions) and 1200 the year after that (for 300+ available positions), all gradually drawn from the order of merit of the 5000. That'd best reflect how its historically been done.

Rothmans wrote: »
    Yup.

One theory might be that they will interview 1000-1200 this year (for 300 available positions), 1200 next year (for 300+ available positions) and 1200 the year after that (for 300 available positions), all gradually drawn from the order of merit of the 5000. That'd best reflect who its historically been done.
    That gives all of us some hope. Honestly I won't get into the top 1,200. And I would doubt the second 1,200 so maybe the third 1,200 lol

That gives all of us some hope. Honestly I won't get into the top 1,200. And I would doubt the second 1,200 so maybe the third 1,200 lol

How'd you do in stage 1?

I thought I'd made a right balls of stage one, but I ended up doing better than I had thought and came in the top 200.

Although I wasn't delighted (especially with the verbal) with stage 2, I was happier than I was with stage one.

I also think that we would have done a lot more prep work than the majority of people that were also in band one, and that is clear from what we have been posting up here, so we don't stand too bad a chance. My only concern would be that many of the people might have put the foot on the accelerator after stage 1 as things then became a lot more serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭mycro89

Yup.

One theory might be that they will interview 1000-1200 this year (for 300 available positions), 1200 next year (for 300+ available positions) and 1200 the year after that (for 300+ available positions), all gradually drawn from the order of merit of the 5000. That'd best reflect how its historically been done.

Only band 1 so will get a look in based on your assumption ?

mycro89 wrote: »
    Only band 1 so will get a look in based on your assumption ?

Based on past campaigns, but we are all just guessing at the end of the day, as nobody knows how things are going to be this time araound.

How'd you do in stage 1?

I thought I'd made a right balls of stage one, but I ended up doing better than I had thought and came in the top 200.

Although I wasn't delighted (especially with the verbal) with stage 2, I was happier than I was with stage one.

I also think that we would have done a lot more prep work than the majority of people that were also in band one, and that is clear from what we have been posting up here, so we don't stand too bad a chance. My only concern would be that many of the people might have put the foot on the accelerator after stage 1 as things then became a lot more serious.
    I came 4263 so that's why I'm not that optimistic. I feel I should have done better than that but I let nerves get the better of me in Stage 1. I practiced a lot more for Stage 2, I did control my nerves better, but I know my limits. Before I began practicing for Stage 2 I thought I'd be doing very well if I crept into the top 2,500. That was my aim. I still think it's possible, but I wouldn't be surprised if I came lower. That's me being completely realistic.

Based on past campaigns, but we are all just guessing at the end of the day, as nobody knows how things are going to be this time araound.
    I can't see Band 2 getting a look in unless they're very lucky. The only people who have progressed from Band 2 are the people who picked the "fluency in Irish" stream. Obviously, there weren't enough Irish speakers in the top 5,000.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

How'd you do in stage 1?

I did better than I thought in Stage one too. Found Stage two OK but after the practice verbal where i thought I did better than I did, I'm pretty nervous about the real thing. I was inside 350 for stage one, if I got inside 5/600 for stage two I'd be delighted and hopefully go on to do the supervised assessment

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    I did better than I thought in Stage one too. Found Stage two OK but after the practice verbal where i thought I did better than I did, I'm pretty nervous about the real thing. I was inside 350 for stage one, if I got inside 5/600 for stage two I'd be delighted and hopefully go on to do the supervised assessment
    Sounds like you've got a great chance of progressing

• Advertisement

Sounds like you've got a great chance of progressing

Ah I dunno, I found the practice very difficult for both verbal and abstract. The real ones were alot easier in my opinion but my opinion is probably wrong and I probably made a balls of them!!!

Ah I dunno, I found the practice very difficult for both verbal and abstract. The real ones were alot easier in my opinion but my opinion is probably wrong and I probably made a balls of them!!!
    I thought the inductive questions were easier than the practice ones. I think the verbal is something that's not really easy or hard. It's just fiddly. I think different companies have slightly different standards but it is what it is

I came 4263 so that's why I'm not that optimistic. I feel I should have done better than that but I let nerves get the better of me in Stage 1. I practiced a lot more for Stage 2, I did control my nerves better, but I know my limits. Before I began practicing for Stage 2 I thought I'd be doing very well if I crept into the top 2,500. That was my aim. I still think it's possible, but I wouldn't be surprised if I came lower. That's me being completely realistic.

You seemed to be doing very well in the practice tests, so I wouldn't let that worry you too much. All we can do really is wait and hope for the best, and hope that we will be called sometime over the next three years.

Me too. Top 500 I'd be ecstatic. One of the major concerns I'd have about round two is that the personality tests really bolstered my score the first time round, and it obviously didn't appear in stage two. My verbal let me down a bit. But then again, I only got 29 out of the 42 done so who knows tbh!

I thought the inductive questions were easier than the practice ones. I think the verbal is something that's not really easy or hard. It's just fiddly. I think different companies have slightly different standards but it is what it is

That's exactly it, you can have a fair idea of how the abstract went, but the verbal is anyone's guess unfortunately.

Balls, just remembered I only got just over 5k in the abstract in Stage 1, the questionnaire and verbal bumped me up with both about 7.1k...

Really hope I did better in the abstract this time!

Balls, just remembered I only got just over 5k in the abstract in Stage 1, the questionnaire and verbal bumped me up with both about 7.1k...

Really hope I did better in the abstract this time!
    I failed to answer some of the questions in Stage 1. I think I failed to answer bout 4 or 5 in each test. I think I got to 38 in verbal. And I think I got to 16 in Asbtract first time around. I did best in personality test, which I didn't take that seriously. I honestly didn't think it mattered. I got close to 6,000 in that

which I didn't take that seriously. I honestly didn't think it mattered.

PAS and AGS just threw it in for the craic like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭WilcoOut

I did best in personality test, which I didn't take that seriously. I honestly didn't think it mattered. t

The mind boggles!!

Great attitude

Thanks for the smart answers. I didn't think it mattered in terms of marks. That was obvious from my post.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the smart answers. I didn't think it mattered in terms of marks. That was obvious from my post.

what did you think it was for - again, for the craic?

What's your problem? There's a few of ye on this thread waiting to jump down the throat of someone for the least little thing. Do ye think ye're perfect?

He thought one thing, turns out to be another. What do you care and what does it matter!? This forum is unbelievably hostile for anyone who puts a foot out of place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭Zadie10

I assume they thought it was a pass/fail kind of thing rather than points - either your personality & skills fit, or they don't...

What's your problem? There's a few of ye on this thread waiting to jump down the throat of someone for the least little thing.

im not jumping down your throat. I just cant believe your attitude towards something very very important. I cant see why you wouldnt treat a 'test' for a recruitment campaign as important

Do ye think ye're perfect?

Yes

I didn't think it mattered in terms of results. There was no way to prepare for it. I've posted several times before my own thoughts on the questionnaire. I simply thought it was pass/fail.

• Advertisement

I didn't think it mattered in terms of results.

i find this really really hard to comprehend. how could it not matter?
    There was no way to prepare for it. I've posted several times before my own thoughts on the questionnaire. I simply thought it was pass/fail.

as in your personality failed?

or as in you failed to complete the job simulation in the required manner?

or?

Before all of us took the Stage 1 tests. I posted on here, others posted on here. Alot of us, including me didn't think they'd assign marks to the questionnaire. There was no way to prepare for it. All you could do was do the test on the day. And I made up my mind to answer questions honestly. It was the one test that day that I was least focused on cos I completely preoccupied with the verbal and abstract.

Are you familiar with the principle of pass/fail tests?

Before all of us took the Stage 1 tests. I posted on here, others posted on here. Alot of us, including me didn't think they'd assign marks to the questionnaire. There was no way to prepare for it. All you could do was do the test on the day. And I made up my mind to answer questions honestly. It was the one test that day that I was least focused on cos I completely preoccupied with the verbal and abstract.

Are you familiar with the principle of pass/fail tests?

they wouldnt assign marks? then how would you pass or fail?

im glad you answered honestly - I have no idea why you wouldnt

you said you didnt think it was important. Im aghast as to why anyone would think that. but anyway....moving on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭WilcoOut

The questionnaire etc took twice as long as the verbal and inductive did - pretty good indication to its importance if ya ask me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭Zadie10

they wouldnt assign marks? then how would you pass or fail?

When something is pass or fail, they do use marks to solely determine if you have passed or not.
    The marks are not counted towards your overall score though!

• Advertisement
Advertisement