Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda Recruitment - Stage 1a(2) - The Aptitude Test Results thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Canyon86

brembo26 wrote: »
    I'm in batch 2. As good as out id say :P

Jeez no way mate! You d be surprised how panels/batches get reduced

Keep the faith!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Sound of Silence

Just got the message! I passed and I'm in band 1!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Canyon86

Band 1 top 900

Delighted for you bud!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Just got the message! I passed and I'm in band 1!

I thought that said Position 1!! :D Well done :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Sound of Silence

Band 1 top 900

Congrats, dude!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭brembo26

Your overall place is: 7409 hmm :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭WilcoOut

Butterface wrote: »
    Apologies, I shouldn't have replied to this thread. I do feel bad for those who really wanted to get in and I hope that the best people will be chosen. I don't think my placing will have any bearing on that.

However, this is a recruitment drive for one particular career. At the moment I am applying for graduate jobs in all sectors - including those which I have no interest/qualifications in, because I'm not going to put all my eggs in one basket. Welcome to the employee market.. it's not 25,000 people who grew up wanting to be a member of AGS. There are a multitude of reasons why people will want to join AGS, and one is that it is a career path.

I don't think I'm a clown for throwing my hat in the ring. If anything, it has given me a bit of confidence now for the aptitude tests I'll be doing for the civil service and other employers in the next few months.

I reject your reasoning and despise your motives

so much has been invested in this for years by alot of people. your ilk blurs the lines and blocks their progression

like i said, theres disappointment all over the nation. U added to that in my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭thekopend

if they get as far as band 2 will the whole band have to do stage 2. id say it will just like band 1 all the band does the test regardles of where you have been placed in that band. it has to be or else there is absolutely no point in dividing it into bands?? whos with me??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

WilcoOut wrote: »

so much has been invested in this for years by alot of people. your ilk blurs the lines and blocks their progression

like i said, theres disappointment all over the nation. U added to that in my opinion

Nothing to stop that person progressing to the interviews and beyond.

Fair play to yourself for scoring so highly and commiserations for those who didn't score in the top 5000, but please don't begrudge people who see the guards as only a job option rather than a dream job.

There are plenty of dedicated people in band 1 to fill all positions in AGS for years to come. A few dozen applicants who use the process for practice is not going to change anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭dunner515

D Trent wrote: »
    Have you only received message now?

No, only just got home and couldn't post my results on this until now. I received my results from PAS around 14:00

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭RUNNER 1

Made band one very happy , but just about made it .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭ormondprop

I don't think its fair to begrudge people who got through if they applied for the sake of applying, people need jobs and they deserve the chance to apply for this the same as the rest of us do.

I myself reckon i would have turned it down if i did get through further as i've invested a lot of time and money into the career i'm in now and nearly qualified at my trade, i applied to see how far i could get, i want to be a member of AGS and have for a good few years now and was sickened when the embargo came in a few years ago and i still want to be a gardai in a few years time if i can get through the recruitment process, and after doing these aptitude tests atleast i know whats instore for me when i apply again, and obviously as i only got into band 3 i know i'll have to put some work into my preperation for sitting them again,

Best of luck to all those who got into band 1 and hopefully the best and most deserving get picked

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Butterface

WilcoOut wrote: »

It's incredibly naive to think that only people who seriously considered a career in AGS would apply.
    It's a public competition.. If you become a Garda and there's a promotion going, do you think everybody going for that promotion has the same level of desire for that position. No.

I've a few friends who took the tests too and as far as I know they had never thought of it as a career choice before. But the job was advertised, and it costs nothing to take a chance on a test and see what comes of it. Maybe if they get further too, they'll start to seriously weigh up AGS as a career option.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭want2b

Congratulations to everyone who passed and hard luck to those who didn't pass this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Diddlina

Missed out on band 1 by 18 places which I have to say is quite gutting to be that close. The questionnaire let me down! Well done to everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭rocky911

Lads what ya reckon the chances of majority of the band 1 getting a job eventually as I obviously 5k wont but over a few intakes etc

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭fergie199

Ok all, By now most of us have found out who has made it to stage 2 and who has not.

Can we all just sympathise with the one's which hasn't and congratulate the ones who have...no need to turn this is to a (I wanted/trained more than you) blog.

An let this be for more the Stage 2 applicants to question and comment to others?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭Mudmask

Just saw the email now. Got band 1, around 4300. Didn't think they went that well on the day, so I'm happy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 deiseblue14

Well done to everyone who got through!
    This was my third time, previously i failed twice on the report writing after getting the marks required in the interviews.
    This time arround i fall at ther first stage after getting a good score in verbal and abstract reasoning i didnt reach the marks on the questionaire! Absolutly gutted today this one hurt the most:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 xxx3

I got in the top 400 people, was well pleased with this since I went for it years ago and didn't even get past the first stage. I am delighted to have got past the 1st stage this time round and hopefully will get past the 2nd stage :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

Apologies, I shouldn't have replied to this thread. I do feel bad for those who really wanted to get in and I hope that the best people will be chosen. I don't think my placing will have any bearing on that.

However, this is a recruitment drive for one particular career. At the moment I am applying for graduate jobs in all sectors - including those which I have no interest/qualifications in, because I'm not going to put all my eggs in one basket. Welcome to the employee market.. it's not 25,000 people who grew up wanting to be a member of AGS. There are a multitude of reasons why people will want to join AGS, and one is that it is a career path.

I don't think I'm a clown for throwing my hat in the ring. If anything, it has given me a bit of confidence now for the aptitude tests I'll be doing for the civil service and other employers in the next few months.

Never mind those giving out to you because you don't appear to have a "vocation" to be a Garda. Hope that all works out for you. I think you would do better in the Garda job than some of the fundamentalists on this site

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭ChloeElla

I fell asleep & woke up to my email, got into Batch 1, overall place 9 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

ChloeElla wrote: »

Well done, great result

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭ViP3r

1382 ^^

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

ChloeElla wrote: »

Wow, fair play. That's a great result :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25 MCBRENNAN

well lads placed narrowly out of band 1 so in band 2 !:( any one no what the chances of being called ar or what is the next stage for us?

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭ChloeElla

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    Well done, great result
    Wow, fair play. That's a great result :D:D

Thank you! I wish I knew the timeframe of interviews/ fitness, etc. I have to fly back to Germany at the start of April, so there is unfortunately a high chance of me deferring/ dropping out.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 AmiBear

I dunno if it's just wishful thinking on my part because I'm in band 2 but I think that there is a strong possibility that they will be calling on band 2.

I might be wrong but after stage 2 online test that 5000 will surely be cut dwn to 2000-2500 then after the assessment centre that number will more than likely drop to leave 1000 for the interview stage. Now I'm assuming that they will get 300 applicants out of that 1000 but they have said that this campaigne will continue for the next couple of years.

At which point they will have to dip into band 2 because band 1 applicants that were unsuccessful in their different stages are out which leaves us😊

AmiBear wrote: »
    I dunno if it's just wishful thinking on my part because I'm in band 2 but I think that there is a strong possibility that they will be calling on band 2.

I might be wrong but after stage 2 online test that 5000 will surely be cut dwn to 2000-2500 then after the assessment centre that number will more than likely drop to leave 1000 for the interview stage. Now I'm assuming that they will get 300 applicants out of that 1000 but they have said that this campaigne will continue for the next couple of years.

At which point they will have to dip into band 2 because band 1 applicants that were unsuccessful in their different stages are out which leaves us😊

Its is my belief that unless there is another recruitment campaign this year which I highly doubt, the candidates from Band two will not be called at all for this recruitment drive and their results regardless of how close they came will be irrelevant therefor they will have to re-go the process all over again for the new recruitment which may be in 2015

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭mycro89

fergie199 wrote: »
    Its is my belief that unless there is another recruitment campaign this year which I highly doubt, the candidates from Band two will not be called at all for this recruitment drive and their results regardless of how close they came will be irrelevant therefor they will have to re-go the process all over again for the new recruitment which may be in 2015

So are you saying that when they cull at the next stage, plus at the assessment test, the physical , the medial and at the interview that they will have enough of candidates for the next three years?

I think not personally, I believe at least those in band two are in with a chance still

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭MidnightQueen

Fantastic result Cloe! I got into band 3. Il keep my fingers crossed I get called for the next stage. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22 cianpower89

Can anyone help, I placed 750 in today's results but I didn't do Irish for leaving cert, only did one language in total, I didn't think I would get so high,just went for it cause my friends where,now people are telling me if your results and interviews and high, it actually doesn't matter that much, can anyone shed some light on this cause I would really like to progress further ?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭billie1b

Can anyone help, I placed 750 in today's results but I didn't do Irish for leaving cert, only did one language in total, I didn't think I would get so high,just went for it cause my friends where,now people are telling me if your results and interviews and high, it actually doesn't matter that much, can anyone shed some light on this cause I would really like to progress further ?

Thanks

You have English and another language? Doesn't matter if its not Irish, once you have 2 languages

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

Thanks

You need two languages as far as I am aware.

mycro89 wrote: »
    So are you saying that when they cull at the next stage, plus at the assessment test, the physical , the medial and at the interview that they will have enough of candidates for the next three years?

I think not personally, I believe at least those in band two are in with a chance still

Im an just speaking from my assumption but when you look at the numbers....

5000 are now going to stage 2, lets say they accept 2500 for stage 2 then really narrow that down to 1000 for stage 3 after that who knows whats next, midicals, fitness tests etc, they only need at max 350 people.

As I say this is just my assumption and I in no way am saying this is how it will be or that this is how it will be done and I am not saying to all those in stage two to give up hope, who knows what they are going to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Lady Kitkat103

I completely disagree... now this is my own opinion, but there was a reason that there were three bands. I believe that they will dip into both 2 and 3 bands in the future campaigns.

In the dail the minister mentioned something along the lines of no applications after the last ones that he would be using the people already applied. In posh language of course :P

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scouser

5000 are now going to stage 2, lets say they accept 2500 for stage 2 then really narrow that down to 1000 for stage 3 after that who knows whats next, midicals, fitness tests etc, they only need at max 350 people.

As I say this is just my assumption and I in no way am saying this is how it will be or that this is how it will be done and I am not saying to all those in stage two to give up hope, who knows what they are going to do.

5000 are going to stage two

they will be ranked based on their scores

top percentile will be called for interview

this 5000 will make up the next 4 or 5 classes - easily

theyll get 3 years out of that number

the prison officer panel went through 2000 people in 3 years - so think about it

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭oreilly94

They only need that amount but could put another 300-600 of band 1 on a panel to supply the next few recruitments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭boomkatalog

Can someone explain what the panel thing is to me?

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Kimiko2012

Thanks

If you have another language it's ok. Did you do French or German at schools? It should suffice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭ForeverYoung90

Can someone explain what the panel thing is to me?

Basicly after the 300/400 people are selected to go Templemore, then there will be a panel of another 300/400 ready to be next in line to go forward to Templemore.

Nope just English guys:(.

Should I just keep going and see what happens.
    I mean what the worsed that can happen.

750 is a good place maybe they will turn a blind eye ?ha.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

That's not enough unfortunately, apart from English you need another language. You could do the stage 2 test but there's not a whole lot of point when you don't fit the educational requirements. I'll take your place if you like. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Lady Kitkat103

750 is a good score maybe they will turn a blind eye ?ha.....

Sorry maybe im not being v helpful but why are you worrying about it now :confused: sorry not being smart or sarcastic just wondering. Well done by the way

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭cruais

Would english and your 2nd language not be enough?

Unfortunately you will have to get studying Irish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Foxhound38

I got into BAND 1

Verbal Reasoning
    Your Score 6757 Qualifying Score 3829

Discovering Rules - Abstract Reasoning
    Your Score 5862 Qualifying Score 3831

Online Questionnaire Garda Trainee
    Your Score 5391 Qualifying Score 3695

The maximum score available on each test is 8000.

Your overall place is: 1140

I did it on a whim, about an hour and a half before my application window closed and with absolutely no preparation. I think that there is no way you can really prepare for these tests. I'll do the next set of tests but not really interested in a career in AGS! Just want to see how far I get really!

It was the same with me - I applied half out of curiousity (I didn't think I'd stand a chance) and with no prep for the test either (other than a cup of strong tea). Got band 1 and positioned at 492. It's been hours since I found out and I'm still chuffed about it.

Considering they go back to teaching basic Irish in Templemore, I think having it is a a bit silly, and what about people who have say ,English and French, they need to study Irish from the beginning dont they! I think I will just keep going and see what happens ..

Considering they go back to teaching basic Irish in Templemore, I think having it is a a bit silly, and what about people who have say ,English and French, they need to study Irish from the beginning dont they! I think I will just keep going and see what happens ..

Somebody with English and French does not need Irish because they meet the education requirements where as with only one language you don't meet the requirements.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scouser

want2b wrote: »
    Somebody with English and French does not need Irish because they meet the education requirements where as with only one language you don't meet the requirements.

how did u score want2be?

Advertisement