Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Difference between 2013 and 2014 Zipp 404's - worth paying for?

Options
  • 12-02-2014 10:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭

So, I'm in the market for new wheels and have decided on a set of Zipp 404's (firecrest clinchers) - front and rear. Shopping around (I see them cheapest on jedi sports and bike24.de) I can see about €400 of a difference, if not more, between the 2013 and 2014 models. I wonder is it worth paying the little bit extra and getting the latest if I'm paying that much to begin with? or would I would I even notice the difference?

Doing a bit of googling I found a good bit of chat here where they were saying
    the new 2014 404 FC wheels have 100% (!) more torsional stiffness due to the new beefier hub and four added spokes (adding 90g of weight to the rear wheel).
    And also on the main product page they say
    Cavendish received early hub prototypes in January 2013 and logged 13,000 kilometers (8,078 miles) on continually refined variants, including his stage victories at the Giro d’Italia and the 2013 Tour de France. His feedback helped optimize the hub’s flange geometry, stiffness and weight.
    Good marketing talk alright. But would it be worth the extra money.

It's funny, I'd no problem buying a previous year bike to save some money but I'm struggling to allow myself do the same with these wheels. Any thoughts? What would Jesus do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Slo_Rida

Do you spend copious amounts of money on alcohol, cigarettes, rec drugs, holidays etc? Or do you have kids and if so do they need?

If no, then buy the fcukin new wheels and enjoy having something new and top end.

Because you have given it such thought, the novelty factor will stay on these new toys for ages.

Happy days (I hope!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭kuro_man

...or buy zonda, rs81 or krsyium elite wheels and spend the €1600 saved a winter training holiday in Majorca or Gran Canaria

• Registered Users Posts: 31,072 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

kuro_man wrote: »
    ...or buy zonda, rs81 or krsyium elite wheels and spend the €1600 saved a winter training holiday in Majorca or Gran Canaria
    IIRC WithCheesePlease has a Felt AR4. There's no point in buying an "aero" road frame and then sticking draggy shallow-section wheels in it. It looks wrong and it makes no sense.

Wrong.
    2012_Felt_AR4_235401.jpg

Right.
    felt-ar1-team-issue-2010-road-bike.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭WithCheesePlease

Lumen wrote: »
    IIRC WithCheesePlease has a Felt AR4.

Wow!! How do you "recall" such things??!! Do we know each other?! :)

Or

Are%20You%20A%20Wizard.jpg

Advertisement