Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Radio Club in Wexford

Options
  • 12-02-2014 11:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hello all

We have started up a radio club in recent months called Wexford Wireless Club

We are a Radio Club based in Gorey Co.Wexford,To serve the Wexford and surrounding Area's to promote the hobby of Radio Communications, Amateur (Ham) Radio,Shortwave Listening (SWL),Citizen Band (CB) Radio,Scanner Enthusiasts,PMR 446 or whatever aspects of radio you enjoy,or if you are just looking to see what this wonderful hobby is all about!There are millions of radio waves all around us everyday just waiting to be received,not everything has to be connected to the internet or a mobile phone tower infrastructure to work!

We meet every Wednesday night 20:00-22:00

We have a Facebook group for anyone that is interested at

https://m.facebook.com/groups/119423701402687?ref=bookmark

If you live in the Wexford Wicklow or surrounding areas feel free to contact us or come along :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Wxman

Sounds very interesting. What is the venue for the meetings?

Good luck with the new club. Great to see radio being promoted!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Get a real website though. Cheap. Facebook is not.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 mickfitzer

Thanks Wxman we meet in the Coach House at the bottom of the Main Street at the moment till we find a better venue perhaps where we can set up a radio and antennas I know what you mean Watty but as I said we have only started up so it's on the list,Facebook group page is okay for the time and it helps get the word out

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Only to people that want to get exploited by Facebook. It's worse than Yahoo Groups or Google groups for this by far and both of them are fairly horrible.

I hope it goes well. Maybe if there is a local free paper you should write and article with a couple of Pics and send it in as "community news". A club needs local people.

watty wrote: »
    Only to people that want to get exploited by Facebook. It's worse than Yahoo Groups or Google groups for this by far and both of them are fairly horrible.

I hope it goes well. Maybe if there is a local free paper you should write and article with a couple of Pics and send it in as "community news". A club needs local people.

Very true Watty,a club does need local people,I have been in contact with a local paper already so hopefully it will go well,we also hope to do some special events as well to not only promote the club but the hobby as well, thanks :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,080 ✭✭✭OldRio

Just like to add a good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 tonyham

Great to see radio enthusiasts getting together, promoting and sharing their hobby.
    Good Luck with the New Club :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Good luck with it folks.

My own advice would be to try and ensure everyone is welcomed, regardless of whether they are licensed amateurs or not. Try to run a course for the license if you can eventually, this keeps fresh blood coming in. And don't let it turn into a tea room for pensioners lol.... I've seen some "radio clubs" which didn't have a radio anywhere near them!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭deandean

good luck with the new club, it is nice to see it.
    I was active in the South Eastern CB Club a long long time ago and we used to have very large meetings, good craic I amassed a good amount of DX cards, the furthest was from the Phillipines. on cb SSB 12W and a 5 element beam. Good times they wewe.

@ Deandean thanks,yes that was a nice contact :) I started out on CB as well back in the late 80's early 90's as a boy and progressed from 40 ch's to DX as well and there was never a radio too far away,always enjoyed it very very much,are you still active? If you are not too far away pop down some Wednesday evening,always more than welcome,licensed or not :)

@ PauloMN Thanks, I know exactly what you mean,we set up the radio club as exactly that,for anyone that has an interest in radio as a hobby,it doesn't matter if you are an Amateur op CB op or whatever,everyone is made welcome and can take part in discussions ideas etc,I can see what you mean by your comment about "tea room for pensioners" I am a member of 2 other larger clubs (chairman of 1 atm) and it can tend that members can be a bit older but we have younger people coming into the hobby all the time especially over the last number of years,hopefully some more thro this club :) I myself am just in my 30's so not quite a pensioner yet! :D part of the idea of the club is to promote radio as a hobby,hopefully get some new people into the hobby and encourage operators who have not been active for whatever reasons to dust off their rigs and get back on the air,it would be nice to start a course to help people get their licence but not at the minute,hopefully at a future date,but in saying that if a member or anyone was interested in doing the test we would try and help with tips and advice as much as we can,we have regular members who passed the exam over the last no of years and others 20 or more years ago. As for radios not much more than HT's and receivers at the minute,but we hope to find a more suitable venue where we can have a station set up! :) thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 ancl

Hey Mick

Good Luck with the club and hope you are doing well.

73 Andy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭jt65

Good luck with the club folks

too far away from me I'm afraid

73 de ei3grb

• Registered Users Posts: 22 worsel

Bust of Luck with the new Club ..
    Pity its too far away from me :(
    Peter D

Just to let everyone know the club has moved QTH,

we are now in Gorey Scout Group Hall,Woodstock Hall,Gorey Sports and Leisure Centre, Esmonde Street in Gorey,Co.Wexford,

We have a radio set up every week only portable at the minute until we get antenna's set up,

We meet every Wednesday evening from 20:00,Everyone is welcome,Newcomers are as always very welcome

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭larrymiller

mickfitzer wrote: »
    Just to let everyone know the club has moved QTH,

we are now in Gorey Scout Group Hall,Woodstock Hall,Gorey Sports and Leisure Centre, Esmonde Street in Gorey,Co.Wexford,

We have a radio set up every week only portable at the minute until we get antenna's set up,

We meet every Wednesday evening from 20:00,Everyone is welcome,Newcomers are as always very welcome[/QUOTE

Well sorry to jump in here but just wondering what do yee do when yee meet up?
    And how does this whole am radio thing work?

Advertisement