Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sun Holiday Essentials for a 6 month old baby

Options
  • 12-02-2014 11:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭

Hi All,

I have booked a trip to Portugal in June and will be bringing my then 6 month old baby. I am currently breastfeeding but am hoping to have introduced some solids at this stage.

Just wondering are there any essential items that I should be buying in advance?

I have bought some swim nappies, a little wetsuit and a ring float for infants in Mothercare. I am also going to buy a UV shade for his buggy.

Any other ideas? Would anyone reccomend a beach tent or will the buggy with a shade suffice?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭emer_b

I brought my 9 month old to Portugal last year. She wasn't crawling then so her needs were similar to your baby.
    Buggy sun shade was essential. We didn't have a beach tent as we hired parasols at the beach for ourselves anyway.
    2 or 3 good sun hats, in case he won't keep them on/throws them away. And not as much clothes as you think, definitely not outfits. My baby lived in a 7pack of sleeveless vests and her nappy!
    If your accommodation doesn't have aircon it would be good to have an electric fan in case it's very hot at night.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

A fly net for the buggy and cot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Staplor

I went to a shop called Continente when I was there, got a bouncer chair for €25 highly recommend that place for bits and pieces, like a 5 litre lunchbox for your Milton.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

A good thing is innocence sterilising bags (mothercare) - saves the 5ltr tub as they hang from a door.

Sun cream is essential and a blanket for when you get home. If you are feeding solids then maybe some pouches of what baby eats

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭closifer

Thanks for all the tips everyone! I think I will be booking extra cases for his things!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Staplor

Baby grows, loads of them, use bed sheets as a really light blanket to block the sun

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Milton Tablets... very light and easy to carry.. then just use a large pot for sterilising.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Hello Lady!

We bought two cheap buggies in aldi last week when they had them on offer for €30 and picked up second hand car seats for travelling/hire car. We are going to visit relatives in May when the twins will be 5 months and after the advice of several other parents decided not to bring our expensive travel system.

We have also bought two baby carriers in Dunnes for €20 each so that we can have free hands at the airport and maybe out shopping etc.

Have been told to carry soothers (if your baby takes one) and things for them to chew on at take off and landing.

Mosquito net for cot.

As I get tips from those more wise and experienced than me I'll pass them on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭sleepytrees

a fly net for the pram. Can get them in smyths and euroshops for super cheap.
    Ready made meal pouches! I brought them on holidays with my young son. sun cream, can get in chemist. think it needs to be a special kind and loads of new hats! My son at that age threw off so many hats. We lost so many!! A light blanket for sleeping in. Most places provide baby quilts an they are way too heavy. Hope you have a great time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭sawdoubters

• Advertisement

the sea is to cold to swim in

Says who? I fully plan on allowing our two into the sea when we visit Turkey in June. They'll be almost 6 months by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭closifer

Says who? I fully plan on allowing our two into the sea when we visit Turkey in June. They'll be almost 6 months by then.

Agreed. My baba will be in the pool and the sea. He loves the water (judging from bathtime) and I cant wait to see him splashing about. I bought him a ring in mothercare that is for 3-12 month olds that he can sit into :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

What do you guys think about taking car seat abroad? Necessary or not? How would you manage without?

kandr10 wrote: »
    What do you guys think about taking car seat abroad? Necessary or not? How would you manage without?

We bought two dimples ones from adverts for €15 each. Both in excellent condition, hardly used, both had original boxes and receipts. We will bring them with us. We haven't decided what airline we will travel with yet, but we will either take them onboard and sit the babies in them or they will go in the hold. Have been told to ensure I tell check in that they are part of the buggy to avoid extra charges. I don't want to put our maxi cosi's in the hold as a friend did this and hers came back filthy and scuffed. I also don't fully trust hire companies that the seats are safe - they could be years old and the plastic brittle for all I know, especially in a hot country where they would have been left in a hot car regularly. I feel safer knowing we have our own.

kandr10 wrote: »

We bought two dimples ones from adverts for €15 each. Both in excellent condition, hardly used, both had original boxes and receipts. We will bring them with us. We haven't decided what airline we will travel with yet, but we will either take them onboard and sit the babies in them or they will go in the hold. Have been told to ensure I tell check in that they are part of the buggy to avoid extra charges. I don't want to put our maxi cosi's in the hold as a friend did this and hers came back filthy and scuffed. I also don't fully trust hire companies that the seats are safe - they could be years old and the plastic brittle for all I know, especially in a hot country where they would have been left in a hot car regularly. I feel safer knowing we have our own.

Advertisement