Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Start Up Website

Options
  • 12-02-2014 11:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi Guys,

Hope I'm in the right section. I'm currently of setting up a new start up website that will cover the usual local and national new, health tech so on ans so forth. There will also be a few "fun" sections which have proven to be a success for me when I previously launched a web site and was covered weekly on the Will Leahy Show on 2FM a few years back.

I have the domain registered and I've a solid idea of what I'm looking to do however my question id this: Is there anyone out there who would be willing to contribute to the website? I can't give too much away at the moment but I am looking for people who could possibly write pieces for a Tech section for example, Local Sports or what ever you think you might bring to the table.

The website itself has proven to be very popular in the past and my aim in to generate revenue through advertising and promotional offers further down the line but for now I need to get content and a team of writers until it takes off.

Anybody interested or have any advice please feel free to let me know.

Thanks,

Rob

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Peterdalkey

"patient pending" on a health tech website... nice pun! Good luck with the enterprise!

Peter

• Registered Users Posts: 10 RobGleeson

"patient pending" on a health tech website... nice pun! Good luck with the enterprise!

Peter
    Ha Thanks!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 388 ✭✭Atomico

RobGleeson wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

Hope I'm in the right section. I'm currently of setting up a new start up website that will cover the usual local and national new, health tech so on ans so forth. There will also be a few "fun" sections which have proven to be a success for me when I previously launched a web site and was covered weekly on the Will Leahy Show on 2FM a few years back.

I'm currently in the process of having a patent pending for my site and have the domain registered. I've a solid idea of what I'm looking to do however my question id this: Is there anyone out there who would be willing to contribute to the website? I can't give too much away at the moment but I am looking for people who could possibly write pieces for a Tech section for example, Local Sports or what ever you think you might bring to the table.

The website itself has proven to be very popular in the past and my aim in to generate revenue through advertising and promotional offers further down the line but for now I need to get content and a team of writers until it takes off.

Anybody interested or have any advice please feel free to let me know.

Thanks,

Rob

Hi Rob,

A patent for a news website? Do you mean a trademark....?

Atomico wrote: »
    Hi Rob,

A patent for a news website? Do you mean a trademark....?

Both, patent for the Logo and trademark is pending.

Also not just a news website; there will be more content that is unique to the site

You cannot patent a logo! You can register a trademark or a sign mark

In order to be eligible for the grant of a valid patent the invention must be new, involve an inventive step and be capable of industrial application.

Novelty: An invention is considered new if it does not form part of the state of the art. The state of the art comprises everything made available to the public in any way, anywhere in the world, before the date of filing of the patent application.

Inventive step: An invention is considered as involving an inventive step if it is not obvious to a person skilled in that area of technology, having regard to the state of the art.

Industrial applicability: The invention must be capable of being made or used in some kind of industry, including agriculture.

• Advertisement

You can also claim copyright on original content including writings etc and and of course, designs etc!!

In order to be eligible for the grant of a valid patent the invention must be new, involve an inventive step and be capable of industrial application.

Novelty: An invention is considered new if it does not form part of the state of the art. The state of the art comprises everything made available to the public in any way, anywhere in the world, before the date of filing of the patent application.

Inventive step: An invention is considered as involving an inventive step if it is not obvious to a person skilled in that area of technology, having regard to the state of the art.

Industrial applicability: The invention must be capable of being made or used in some kind of industry, including agriculture.

Once my trademark is approved I can patient that trademark which will include a logo? What I was told anyway; I must look into it. Thanks for your help tho!

RobGleeson wrote: »
    Once my trademark is approved I can patient that trademark which will include a logo? What I was told anyway; I must look into it. Thanks for your help tho!

You wuz told wrong! Read all about it!! http://www.patentsoffice.ie/

You wuz told wrong! Read all about it!! http://www.patentsoffice.ie/

Thanks my friend!

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Buttercake

Patents and Trademarks for a news website??

I really wouldn't worry about patents and trademarks for a while! - Get the website off the ground first build up a following, thats what its all about and a LOT of work. Its the following thats key to your success, i would concentrate on that.

Look at the likes of Waterford Whispers, they dont have anything trademarked or patented, when you are Huffington Post scale, then get it might be time to consider getting your logo trademarked.

One thing that annoys me, is when people have these ideas and end up doing nothing, because they get bogged down or worried about the billion other things that are really not applicable when starting out with a particular project. Its a website, it will be copied, welcome to the internet.

• Advertisement

Trade Mark copyright protection can be achieved for next to nothing by http://www.patentsoffice.ie/en/copyright_whatis.aspx many logos and designs are also protected as copyright even though they are unregistered and use the TM annotation. make copy, date stamp it and send it to yourself by registered post is the easiest way.

Thanks for all the advise!

and one last thing, get a grammar/spelling checker before you launch!! Patient (Patent) and Advise (Advice) refer!! :-)

and one last thing, get a grammar/spelling checker before you launch!! Patient (Patent) and Advise (Advice) refer!! :-)

Ha I will do. On my phone doing this so not to worry! Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Trade Mark copyright protection can be achieved for next to nothing by http://www.patentsoffice.ie/en/copyright_whatis.aspx many logos and designs are also protected as copyright even though they are unregistered and use the TM annotation. make copy, date stamp it and send it to yourself by registered post is the easiest way.

Ive heard this thrown around a bit here - will this actually hold up in a court of law? Seems a bit gimicky and easy to forge

Ive heard this thrown around a bit here - will this actually hold up in a court of law? Seems a bit gimicky and easy to forge

The registered post is bit is the legal certainty, as used by the courts. Lots of prior case law to support this methodology!

Date stamped/cancelled post will do too!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Back to your original post, what kind or articles would you be looking for ?

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

yeah tbh lads ye hardly turned this into an advert for great/entertaining scribemanship

^ echo question above, what kind of subjects are you looking for work on, and with what kind of regularity, etc

You are right lads, The heading on the OP seems to suggest a website business idea topic, but the body of the post is mostly seeking writers. It is probably in the wrong forum to be seen/responded to by writers on Local/National News, health etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Did the website ever take off?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

skimpydoo wrote: »
    Did the website ever take off?

The OP was around touting for free writers again a couple of months ago so it doesn't look like it went anywhere.

Funnily enough, this model didn't work for the other dozen people that have suggested it either.

Graham wrote: »
    The OP was around touting for free writers again a couple of months ago so it doesn't look like it went anywhere.

Funnily enough, this model didn't work for the other dozen people that have suggested it either.
    I did send him a pm when he was touting about writing for him but got no response

I did send him a pm when he was touting about writing for him but got no response

Don't panic, someone else will be along looking for people to work for free very shortly :D

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Buttercake

Archive in the Brain Fart Category of the Entrepreneurial & Business Management forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭tacofries

Just out of interest your hardly a student doing journalism or the likes?

Often wondered would it be easy to start a news website and get all the students to work for free in order to get some experience and build up a bit of a portfolio for themselves!

*my question is purely out of interest and I never have any intention of setting a news website !

if I try and look at this type of proposition from a students point of view, here's what I usually see:

A proposer with no experience in web.
    A proposer with no experience in journalism/writing.
    A website with zero audience/credibility.

I see nothing that could really contribute to a students work experience that couldn't be gained writing on their own blog and sharing via Medium/LinkedIn etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭tacofries

True, though sometimes would it not be better to try and write for someone else's website than the typical blog. At least that way you can get some sort of reference?

tacofries wrote: »
    True, though sometimes would it not be better to try and write for someone else's website than the typical blog. At least that way you can get some sort of reference?

If the website has zero eyeballs and zero credibility, I don't think it would be better. A reference from an abandoned 'made for advertising' website isn't going to give an author much of a boost. Original articles syndicated via something like Medium or other known sites/apps would surely look better on a CV.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭guitarrrszz

i think it would be better to start your won blog on wordpress etc than to do that

• Advertisement

Just out of interest your hardly a student doing journalism or the likes?

Nope I am not a student.
    i think it would be better to start your won blog on wordpress etc than to do that

I started my own blog 9 months and it's hosted on my own domain name. I also started writing last December for an award winning Irish Tech site and things couldn't be better. The op's site I don't think ever took off or we would have heard back from him.

Advertisement