Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What graphics card can I use?

Options
  • 12-02-2014 11:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Hi so I'm realatively new to the gaming PC family. I want to give my graphics a boost from the current setup. Here is my current specs:

Processor: Amd 8320 FX 8 Core processor
    Ram: Corsair 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1333Mhz CL9 Value Select Desktop Memory Kit
    Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A-DS3 AM3+ AMD 970 DDR3 ATX
    Graphics: ASUS GTX 660Ti DirectCU 2GB
    Hard drive: Seagate 1TB Barracuda SATA
    6Gb/s 64MB 7200RPM Hard Drive
    Power supply: OCZ Technology ZS Series 650W 80+ Bronze Power Supply
    Case: Gigabyte GZ-G2 Gaming Case with 2 Front Fans.
    Dual monitors.

The graphics card is GDDR5. Is like to add a second card with GDDR5. Can I put a second graphics card of this type into this system in a crossfire style?
    If so then what card could I couple with the existing one? Does it have to be the same card?

The whole reason I'm looking to do this is because I'm playing DayZ standalone and in the first few days I was getting 30-50 FPS but the last two days the FPS would be as low as 10 and 5 in some cases.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance for any input

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

The low frame rate seems to be more an issue of your internet connection if you used to get 30-50. A 660 should be fine for DayZ

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Pegasus177

The low frame rate seems to be more an issue of your internet connection if you used to get 30-50. A 660 should be fine for DayZ

Yea I was thinking that too but I tested the line and it was consistent 50mb down to 20mb up.
    It was confusing me too because originally I had the settings on very high but I dropped everything down ( disabled anti alias dropped quality shadows etc) but the frame rate didn't improve.. Any idea what could be causing this issue then???

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Well it is an early release alpha version. You could just be experiencing some bugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Pegasus177

Well it is an early release alpha version. You could just be experiencing some bugs.

Yea I guess,.. I thought I was seeing a pattern with the frame issues and other players desync but that theory got debunked last night. I'll leave it a day or two and see if it improves... Thanks for your replies and help with this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭RikuoAmero

Pegasus177 wrote: »
    Yea I was thinking that too but I tested the line and it was consistent 50mb down to 20mb up.
    It was confusing me too because originally I had the settings on very high but I dropped everything down ( disabled anti alias dropped quality shadows etc) but the frame rate didn't improve.. Any idea what could be causing this issue then???

Haven't played DayZ myself, but I'm going to assume the actual game itself doesn't have bandwidth test. Testing externally say through Speedtest.net would say your overall internet connection is fine, but the game servers could be crap.

As for adding a second graphics card, sorry to say mate, but you can't. I looked up your motherboard and it only supports AMD Crossfire (as in, you can have multiple AMD Radeon cards). You won't be able to use multiple Geforce cards, like the GTX 660 Ti you mention. If you do want to use multiple cards, you'll either have to get two Radeon cards (the competing Radeon series to Geforce's 600s would be the Radeon HD 7000 series) or get a dual GPU card (that is, a 2-in-1 card that has two GPU dies on it) such as the GTX 590/690.
    If you absolutely must go with multiple Geforce cards, you'd have to get a new motherboard, CPU and RAM.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Luck100

DayZ is notorious for bad performance, it's not your graphics card. Google around for fixes/tweaks, you might get lucky. Maybe this?

http://dayzintel.com/dayz-standalone/dayz-standalone-performance-guide

Advertisement