Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New domestic exam

• 12-02-2014 1:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Anybody done the new domestic BER exam yet, think it changed in December, format the same but the questions are different. I did it and failed 66% another assessor there failed as well. Thought the questions were strange, not very practical, bit difficulty. Anybody do the exam since December would love to know your thoughts,maybe I was unlucky

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,915 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

im due to do it in a few weeks...

when you say, not very practical what do you mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 PAL100

Sorry not very clear, what I mean is that a fair few questions have to do with things you don't deal with when doing BER ratings ie. energy consumption of pumps, a few on renewable energy, these were just a few, it was more difficult for me than the previous exam. Like I said maybe I was unlucky with the questions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Rabbo

I did it in December and although there were a few trick questions where there were a couple of the options were potentially correct, I passed quite comfortably. Maybe it has changed since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭Drift

I did it and passed fairly comfortably earlier this month.

The format is exactly the same as before. Out of the 50 questions there were about 5 that I thought were either badly phrased or deliberately designed to catch you out so if you think you've found one like that my advice would be to "mark" it and keep going because most of them you will know.

In some cases the potential trip up took the form of providing almost enough info to answer the question but not quite enough and then giving you options to answer that included "not enough information given." I know from my results that there was definitely one question that didn't have enough information given but "not enough info" was deemed the wrong answer! I blame this on the question writer taking account of the testee making an obvious assumption - which would be perfectly fine were it not for the fact that on some other similar question you would be penalised for making that assumption!!

From what I remember there were also some questions regarding obscure semantics, but again they weren't in a majority and the answers are there if you read the provided documents closely enough.

By the way I've forgotten what the "trip up" questions were now and even if I remembered I wouldn't post them here because it'd be inappropriate!

Advertisement