Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hepatitis in dogs

• 12-02-2014 1:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 374 ✭✭

So quick bit of info on the dog. She's a 2 and a half year old racing greyhound. She wasn't finnishing her races well so we got a blood test taken.
    The first blood test was done in September. She was in season so was going to have a break from racing anyone but the test showed she was fighting infection and a few other things were going on. She was given a b12 tonic and we changed her to raw on the advice of the vet. After 3 months off we started back training and she had a race in December. She started really well in her race but again faded badly. She was also loosing weight despite being fed more than the recommended graw.

We went back to the vet for more bloods and he diagnosed a kidney infection. Her bloods were still off so we gave her few weeks off and another tonic. She started gaining weight that she'd lost but still wasn't running as well as she should so yesterday we went and got her bloods done again. The vet called there and told me she has hepatitis!

He's going to order something in for her and we'll "see how it goes". I would like to know if anyone has any experience of this with their dog and what was the outcome? After a bit of googling it seems like for a full diagnosis we'd need to get a liver biopsy done and ultrasound? I'm going to have proper talk with the vet in a couple days but just want to have some research done. Thanks

Advertisement